• Held

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 27 August 2012
Never has the term 'keenly awaited' meant more for me. I absolutely loved the ep, With U. Touch of Burial, touch of James Blake, but identifiably its own thing. Finally, Held is out. And it is gorgeous. The Manchester man in the black hood has triumphed.

Atmospheric synths overlay deep dark basslines. There are swooning electronic strings and snatches of echoey vocals that evoke late nights in pulsating cities of shadowy alleyways and flashing neon lights. Joyful, life-affirming, but never cloying every track is a soundscape to a different intimate scene.

I've seen the album listed as R&B. Got to confess, I don't really understand the way this term has mutated. I guess it's an age thing. For me R&B means Stax, Atlantic, Motown. Today we have Contemporary R&B, which seems to bear no resemblance. I'd call this dubstep, but then what do I know? Whatever the genre, Held is an absolute joy.

Other worldly, I've called this review for want of a better title. Thing is, I'm not sure which other world. All I know is that I'd love to live there!
on 10 April 2014
I have listened to probably too much electronic music, but this is just sublime, emotional, textured music. Play this loud and be astonished by the power of this disc...sheer brilliance!
on 16 September 2012
This is absolutely lush. Honestly, nothing has touched me like this since way back to Burial - i care less how cliche that might sound. The tracks with the pitch changes are magnificent, draggin you in and out. This music is really good for working too as weel due to the lack of lyrics. Thank for this music, I might just buy the album, even though i can listen for free because the quality is that good.
on 19 November 2013
sumptuous sound absolutely fantastic and absorbing music. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a bit of chilled electronica