on 25 October 2016
Great album. Absorbing and brilliant. As some other reviewers have said mine came without the record player kit - but honestly i bought this for the music and I the kit would have been just another thing lying about that I couldn't bring myself to chuck.
on 2 December 2012
This is scratchy, bluesy genius from Kid Koala. He has put together a mix of blues samples, beats and scratches that manages to sound old fashioned in the best possible way.
on 28 February 2013
This album appears to have unfairly had 2 one-star reviews for what are effectively Amazon's mistakes.

That aside, this is a playful and engaging romp through blues history, via mashed up samples, textures and soundscapes. Despite the fact it gets pretty dark at times, the mood remains fun somehow. Very enjoyable record.
And the turntable of course is genius!
on 24 November 2012
I feel I should confirm what a fellow reviewer wrote concerning the vinyl version of "12 BIT BLUES":
although I placed an order within a week or so of the album`s initial release, my copy also did NOT contain the
HAND-POWERED TURNTABLE KIT & FLEXI DISC, as specifically advertised by amazon (with photo!) at the time I placed the order!

interestingly, the photographic reference to any vinyl "extras" has since been removed from the item description, although it still
states so in the item description. basically though, this vinyl version is a "no-no". all it is, is a vinyl sleeve "done on the cheap",
containing the 2 lps - and the cd booklet, as used for the cd version! the (otherwise quite artsy) booklet was not even reformatted
to fit the lp.

considering that the ninja tune vinyl is double the price of the "deluxe cd version" that DOES contain both the record player kit AND
the flexi-disc, this is a bit of a bring-down - especially for a label such as ninja tune which purports to cater to vinyl enthusiasts AND
art lovers alike!

after all, like kid koala himself, we all truly love vinyl, now don`t we?
on 1 November 2012
When I ordered this, I was looking to get the version of the album that came with a DIY turntable kit. Back then, it had the picture of said version and the description clearly stated as such.

I received the version that comes with dominoes. When I went to talk to customer service, I noticed that the picture had changed to show the version containing dominoes but the description remained the same. They sent me a replacement.

Unfortunately it turned out to be the dominoes one again, despite the description clearly stating that it comes with a DIY turntable kit.

I returned the second incorrect item and Amazon CS put the item under review so that other people wouldn't end up with the wrong item.

At the time of writing, it's no longer under review but the description STILL states that it's the turntable version, not the dominoes one. Fortunately the image should be enough, but maybe it isn't. It's not really obvious if you don't know what the packaging looks like anyway!

There is another listing for the correct album, but it costs slightly more. Go for that one to save the headache of returning an incorrect item. Of course, if you want some tacky cardboard dominoes instead of an awesome, fully functional hand-powered turntable, order this one :)
on 8 May 2013
I listened to the Radio 6, 6 mix by kid koala, brought this album and its great. No time yet to build the desk tho.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse