Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 August 2017
Island ills
on 20 August 2017
Its ok
on 2 May 2017
Very interesting sequel
on 18 June 2013
Slow going, but easy to read
Characters well described and the basic outline of the island. Found s loo might loo y boring
on 17 March 2013
brilliant read

can't compare to similar author, totally different to anything I've read before
conceptually different apocolyptic story full of questions
on 29 October 2012
If i am honest I initially downloaded because the book were free. I didnt realise where the story would go. I didnt expect the ghouls though wasnt disappointed. This isnt my usual genre and although at times i was completely grossed out I really enjoyed the books and couldnt put them down. I cant wait for the next installment.
on 6 May 2014
This is a continuation of The Island: Fallen Earth Serialisation.

For me it just wasn't quite so good.

With the pandemic growing worse, and civil unrest our protagonist makes it to the Island, taking the old woman and her creepy grandson with him ... I won't say much more, otherwise I could spoil the plot.

The pace and characterisation with just a little weaker, which mean't I sometimes lost focus. Keep with if you can though.

There was odd formatting issue, whereby the 'C' in Chapter was missing for most of the book.

Apart from that there were very few errors/bug bears; they will be covered on my full Blog Post #443 (May 2014).
on 24 September 2013
This is part 2 of 5 sections of The Island. The author has produced it in sections (which he explains in the books themselves) but they are all part of one whole, and it is thus that I review them.

The story is very reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand, in that the story revolves around a virus which sweeps across the world, killing billions; the subsequent breakdown of society's law and order and the small gathering of isolated people who develop a micro-cosmic society.

For me, Stephen King is the author most likely to keep me up until the early hours of the morning, because I cannot bear to put the book down. Michael Stark had a very similar effect on me.

His characters are really well drawn, the story has good pace, the location descriptions are good, and the gory bits are not too vile (and reasonably easy to gloss over without losing too much of the story).

A new discovery for me. I eagerly await the follow up - The Rock - and will also seek out other work by the author.
on 13 March 2013
You have to read all the books in sequence!! Don't get drawn into the comments about how this isn't fair blah blah, think of them as installments, they are not expensive.
Wasn't sure when I first started reading the series whether or not I would enjoy the books as they were completely different to anything I have read before but was 'hooked' by the end.
It was (in my opinion) almost too well written to be a Fantasy/Horror/Punch'em and Shoot'em Up' book. I would have been happy with the main story line and how they would survive it. But by the end of the series you realize that the first storyline was the introduction to the second storyline which would carry on over to the next series of books, i.e. following on from the last book in this series: THE ISLAND - FINAL CHAPTERS.
on 3 December 2012
So Mr Stark, you still have me hooked and interested, despite my irritation at the whole five piece pizza aka book installment idea.
This second part of The Island has a scene in it that made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I know initially Daniel lets the cat out of the bag, so the reader knows what's coming, but the author describes the boat scene incredibly well. So well that I was regretting reading it late at night. Creepy.
The story has an essence of innate darkness about it and not just because of the whole brain munching ghouly goblins and big eared monsters storyline.
It reeks of the desperation that inevitable death by mutilation and end of the world must feel like.
Onwards and upwards to the next part.