on 9 May 2017
This is a well-written, raw book about what it is really, really like to suffer such a shocking and debilitating illness - and the bloody-mindedness needed to recover from it. Kate is in many ways a walking miracle except that she got quite offended when a consultant dared to mention divine intervention!

So why the low rating? I agree with another reviewer that she gives no credit to the medical staff involved in her care and recovery. Her attitude towards her husband is astonishing - he was at her side day and night and trying to hold it all together and yet she seems continually critical of him, even after recovery and throughout her marriage. I guess some men like to be constantly bossed around and derided! Her friends and both sets of parents are amazing - looking after the three badly-behaved kids for months on end must have been totally draining. I wonder where the kids they get their attitude?!

I see another reviewer has written about how his wife was one of those working 12 hours a day to first save Kate's life and then rehabilitate her, and how selfish and ungrateful she was.

So - she'd probably give me a "row" for daring to say all this. I hope one day she will realise the world doesn't and didn't revolve around her and to be kinder and more appreciative , but I do still admire her tenacity and courage
on 22 November 2015
I read A LOT of these books and had great hopes for this book and this story. I have been in the healthcare profession for 30 years and as a genuinely decent and caring person I always want to empathise, understand and help as much as I possibly can with anyone I work with, so always want the perspective of the people that can tell it exactly as it is.
HOWEVER......
This book made me feel anger. Real anger.She comes across as a totally self centred, unfeeling, unkind, ignorant and greedy woman.
Some of the things she does that she then blames on her condition ( Donkey braying with laughter at her best friends fathers funeral) is absolutely UNFORGIVEABLE and just one example of her cold attitude.
I would have thrown her ass out of there if it were me and she would no longer be my best mate that is for sure.
She doesn't come across as a kind person either before, during or after this event happened to her.
No one could convince me otherwise.
Truly hated this book.
The part towards the end regarding her "fans" is puke worthy and one of these people, on the way to her mums funeral writes to Kate - "Reading your story put it all in perspective".
SPLUTTER!!!!!!!!!....................................WHAT???????
How much worse does it get than losing your beloved Mum or Dad and being on the way to their funeral??!!
I would have been ashamed to put that in this book, but then I am NOTHING like Miss Allatt and she seems to thrive on attention, no matter how she gets it.
I have requested my money back. This is going in the bin.
HATED IT!
on 23 December 2016
Kate came to talk to the Royal College of General Practitioner conference in March this year. She stood in front of over 2000 GP's and told her story, she shared the lessons learned for health care professionals. Kate was funny, candid, blunt and truely inspirational. Her talk had a profound impact on the audience, you could hear a pin drop, after she received a standing ovation.
I started reading running free straight away, as a fellow runner and mum, I identified with Kate. She wrights with honesty, a harrowing account of the lows and highs. Most important,y she shares many valuable lessons for survivors, family and friends and healthcare professionals.
I shall be using her story to teach the GPs and students I train about the importance of positivity, communication, and patient intuition
Dr Janey Merron
on 13 October 2015
It's tricky to review this one. I have little knowledge on the subjects covered, but my gut instinct tells me that nurses, OT's and physio's have a lot more to with recovery than she really gives credit for. It seems quite self indulgent. If she hadn't been determined, then she wouldn't have recovered. There's probably some truth in it. No doubt she has done amazingly but I just found her completely unlikable.
on 1 March 2017
Inspirational
on 9 July 2017
Found it hard to put this down. Starting from the unimaginable state of being locked-in your body it demonstrates the huge impact that fighting spirit and belief can play in recovery and defying medical opinion.
on 27 January 2014
A fantastic read, the only reason I didn't give it five stars is because I don't think kate gave the NHS the credit it deserves. Nurses have many patients to deal with and are spread very thin.
on 30 July 2014
Self absorbed monologue demonstrating a lack of gratitude for the expert care the author received to aid her recovery and enable her like to resume.
on 9 July 2013
oh my gosh... An utterly brilliant book.. I felt as if I was there .. A brave lady who asks for no sympathy form the reader but just to read and see how it really is
on 11 June 2017
As a stroke care professional I kind of thought I knew how a patient felt with a sudden loss of ability and independence, this has opened my eyes!