on 14 February 2013
There are so many stories out there about vigilantes and FBI - and then there's this amazing, gripping, chilling yarn which knocks the rest into a cocked hat! The Huntress lives in the present tense, and we have to tease out every hint to find out about her. Then there's our FBI ASAC, Roarke (no, not JD Robb's Irishman - and how brave of this author to use the name and risk the wrath of millions of women who probably believe it belongs exclusive to that one), a man who's only desire since childhood had been to join the FBI, and whose every experience has been leading him to this investigation.

All the characters who appear in the book are extremely well-drawn and believable. The clever plot held me enthralled from the first couple of chapters, and I genuinely didn't want to put the book down until the end - and even then I couldn't believe the story was over, and wanted more. There's doubt, and worry, and distraction, there's concern about who is good and who is bad, and is it possible to do bad things but still be on the side of Right. There's an amazing father and son, fighting their own battles, and a breath-taking description of butterflies, and blood and gore, and nasty perversions and brutality and doublecross - and I can only say 'Buy it; I don't see how you can regret it'.

I'm off to buy the second in the series, and have my fingers crossed that the author can maintain the exceptionally high standards of this book.
on 24 December 2016
I was a bit sceptical when I started reading, as I thought oh no another CSI book, dashing FBI agent runs hands through his hair, chiselled faced poised, solves crime in one episode type.
But a few chapters in the actual story begins and could not put the book down.
The book is well written and it gives you some idea on how the plot is going but throws in a few 'oooo would never have guessed that' moments, which keeps you reading. Looking forward to book 2.
Would have given 5 stars but the start of the book kinda throws you off.
on 2 November 2015
Despite a few quibbles about the writing style, I was gripped by this novel, and the rest of the series.

The premise is different from the typical FBI thriller and the author makes a conscious decision to highlight the supernatural theme. In this world, Evil is real, sentient and actively working to affect people. It pervades the atmosphere of the novel, the idea of any humanity in those who harm is absent.

A female vigilante killer stalks the U.S., battling this evil by dispatching those who rape, murder, or otherwise harm others with a straight razor. I have rarely been so supportive of a repeat killer, neither, I think, has the Agent sent to catch her. It causes a few problems to say the least. The author frames her actions as understandable, even necessary, and by the end of the series, it's hard not to agree.

A crime novel that really makes you think.
on 10 June 2016
It took me a few chapters to really be gripped by this book but it was definitely worth it. As the story unfolds you don't know who's side you should be on. The twists and turns of the plot kept me gripped until the end,and I still don't know who I'm cheering for the Hunter or the hunted.
on 15 May 2017
From the first page to the last, this book has kept me reading into the early hours and finding time during the day to slip in a couple of chapters. The characters kept me coming back for more. I particularly liked how the lead character, Rourke, had chosen his career because of what had happened to the perpetrator when she was a child. I can't wait to read Blood Moon, in fact I think I'll put the kettle on now and get stuck in!
Highly recommended to anyone who loves a good thriller.
on 24 September 2017
Loved this!
A female serial killer! That was it lost in it.....
The FBI agent Roarke was likeable, he was human and understandable in his goal. I loved Epps his partner, he's a great character.
Atmospheric, chilling read, definitely reading more.
To add I've listened to the audiobook as well, great narrator and story tempo is spookily addictive
on 17 September 2015
To be honest I found the book very formulaic. Are there no "normal" looking people in the FBI or do they only recruit beautiful people. I was also surprised on occasion, how poor some of the writing was. I found myself skim reading a of it. It's not a bad story premise and the continuation onto the second book does add a compulsion to continue reading through to the third book so in that respect it does 'grip' so it does have its merits. But very much an airport throw away - not something you would feel compelled to read again
on 9 April 2017
A slow start but once it gets going it is difficult to put down. Until now, apart from Dexter, I have never wanted a murderer to escape to kill another day
on 2 May 2015
an intriguing tale. It started in a hurry and then went into 'slow burner' mode. I thought I was not going to like it because of the disappointment after the gripping start. but persevere, it does build up and ends well. The readers sympathies moves from the FBI 'hunter' to the 'huntress' and back again. I won't say more as it would spoil the tale for others. I see that there are two follow on books which I shall probably read too.
on 10 July 2017
I enjoyed this book for reasons that surprised me - to say more would be to post a spoiler. The plot unfolds along lines that are different and intriguing. Altogether a good read.