on 25 March 2011
My sons (whos 9) teacher gave him this book to read. My son is a reluctant reader so we read a page each but I can honestly say that this book has really encouraged his reading. The story starts in famine stricken Ireland and follows 2 children who travel to America to find their father. It is a fab book which end each chapter with a cliff hanger willing the child to read on. I would recommend this book for 10year olds+ it has a fantasic story and is full of sad and happy adventures.
on 13 April 2009
You must read this book. I love it. The story is amazing and emotional. I cried with sorrow, giggled with joy and fumed with anger. This book is very touching. The story is based in Ireland, during the hunger, when there was a horrific potato blight that wiped out the nation. This tells the story of Sean and Annie, whose mother is dying, as they going on a terrific adventure to America. Follow the story as they ride on horses, almost starve to death, and befriend some unusual people. You cannot afford to miss this book. It is absolutely sensational. You MUST read it!Another masterpiece of Morpurgo.
on 18 January 2002
An excellent read, touching on historical facts, starting with the potato famine in Ireland and British rule, to the Irish immigrant boats to America, and the first settlers in America. I found this easy to read, yet not so simple that older children would be put off by the narrative. A lovely story with wonderful colourful characters.
on 13 January 2011
I remember when I was in Primary school about 8 years ago. At the end of class our teacher read us a book, and this was one of them. My dad's family is Irish, so I thought it would be a good book. I was so impressed by it, that I begged my dad to buy it for me, and he did. I remember being so excited when I saw it and I read it straight away. I wasn't a bookworm like I am now; I actually hated reading, but this book kept my attention.
on 29 March 1999
When Ireland has the plague, Annie and Sean O'Brien Emigrate to America to search for their father, who went there about a year before to search for farming land. They meet many interesting friends along the way. The only treasurable item that they have left is a golden necklace, a TWIST OF GOLD . . . I would highly recommend this book to any child who is searching for a novel to read in their spare time.
Adam Walker
on 11 June 2001
The Twist of Gold is an excellent book.I think the way he those to write about the journey of two young children travelling on their own from Ireland to America with all the ups and downs of it , fascinating. I found it very interesting and I felt I was actually in the book seeing everything that was going on inside. I think everybody should read this book, they will enjoy it!
on 1 March 2015
This book starts in famine-stricken Ireland. Sean and Annie O'Brien are from a village in county Cork. Three of their siblings died from famine fever and their mother is very sick. Thier father has gone to America to find land and then he was to come back for them all.

When fishing in the river Sean comes across a Sergant of the Dragoons. Sean is mistrustful of him at first but then the Sergant offers him a biscuit. The second time he brings Annie with him and they begin to trust them and to like him.

One day, Will (the Sergant) asks to see their mother. He explains that he will pay for their passage to America. Then all Sean and Annie ever knew woud change forever as they go on a ship, learn to dance and play the fiddle, exprerience a shipwreck firsthand,wander the streets of Boston, sail on a Conel's boat and ride with farmers.

When I read this book, it moved me to tears. It's adventurous, exciting and never ever boring. I got this book when I was nine and I'm ten now, and it's one of my favourite books.
on 8 November 2010
I've loved every single one of Michael Morpurgo's books that I've picked up since I first read Why the Whales Came many years ago. He is, in my opinion, one of the best older children's authors still writing, and Twist of Gold serves as a wonderful reminder of why that is.

The story of Twist of Gold follows two children as they journey from Ireland to Boston and then onwards through America in search of their father. Along the way, they are helped by a string of supporting characters who are all well-drawn and engaging. Morpurgo is able to make the reader warm to each of these people in a very short space of time and each one is a carefully crafted individual so that although the story develops in a fairly formulaic manner (children get into trouble and are rescued by kindly person) it never feels repetitive or dull. I was also pleased that Morpurgo doesn't feel the need to tie all of these characters into the ending in a contrived manner, but leaves them as steps along the journey.

The writing, as always, is very skillful and the sort which can be enjoyed by readers of any age, which for me is the mark of a good children's book. His vocabulary choices are sometimes challenging but always appropriate to the age range for which he writes without ever feeling dumbed down. His descriptions are full and evocative, instantly conjuring up arid deserts or crowded city streets. The story is full of adventure but is sufficiently grounded in reality to be believable. I would definitely recommend this book for children of eight and up.
on 26 August 2012
Michael Morpurgo is a master story teller. I have read many of his books which although written for children and young adults, never
fail to entertain me. This storyTwist of Gold is about the potato famine in Ireland. It tells the story of one family badly affected, the
father goes to America leaving his wife and two children behind, intending to have them follow him when he has established himself.
His letter's to them suddenly stop and the family fear the worst. The mother at this time also takes ill and eventually dies, and the two children are befriended
by an English officer in the army who finally manages to secure their passage to America to find their father.
Lots happen inbetween making this an interesting, warm and hopeful read.
I read this book about 7 years ago and have never forgotten it. The story line is fantastic, and is a moving adventure. I truly believe that this story will stay in the heart of any child that reads it, as it has for me.