VINE VOICEon 24 December 2012
This is good- very good. I read it whilst preparing the sprouts for Christmas day- and it made a mundane task enjoyable.

Thing is, I want more! The story is enough for a film- I can imagine Martin Freeman in a working title production, with Richard Curtis producing; the story is that complete.

Plus, I have to say, it ends funny.

But, I recommend it- 99p of loveliness.
on 15 August 2013
Another great little kindle single. This is Hornby on top form. Although the length of story doesn't allow for his usual depth, this is still a hilarious read, with some absolutely genius lines.
The concept of a man unintentionally being thrown under the public microscope is very much of the moment and particularly relevant in our tell all society.
Overall, this funny little story with more than a touch of social commentary is well worth the money.
on 21 August 2012
I really, really enjoyed this story and would love to have read more. In fact, it's a great idea for a novel and if developed into one by someone of Nick Hornby's skills then I am sure it would be brilliant. But this is way too short. I know it's only 99p and what you get is truly excellent so I shouldn't really complain (writing something like this isn't easy) and I feel slightly bad doing so but I can't help feeling disappointed. I'd still recommend it, though, if you're a big Hornby fan. It's vintage stuff but in a very small serving.
on 12 February 2013
Charlie gets divorced from Elaine and, suddenly free of her ex-husband's presence, Elaine begins writing about Charlie in her weekly column titled "Bastard" published in a national newspaper. And, much to Charlie's horror, she is writing about everything - his bad habits, his sexual performance, his parenting faux pas - everything she hated about him and their marriage. And now everyone can read about it!

Nick Hornby's struck upon an interesting idea for a story but it quickly becomes clear why this became a short story and not a novel - besides the setup, nothing much happens. Charlie is publicly shamed for being an inattentive lover, a less-than-brilliant father, and a philanderer, but otherwise the concept doesn't advance much beyond the column being published each week and Charlie being embarrassed every time. And then it ends rather abruptly.

I thought the scene where Charlie and Helena, the victim of a competing column written by a vengeful husband called "Bitch", awkwardly get together in a hotel room one afternoon was funny, and the story is amusing enough for the most part. But it's not up there with Hornby's better short story efforts like the brilliant "Otherwise Pandemonium" and "Not a Star".
on 10 September 2015
A quick Hornby read about the vengeance of a woman scorned and what happens when she goes too far. I didn't find it as funny as some of Hornby's books - but still read it in one sitting (well it is short) and enjoyed it.
on 2 July 2015
Great story line, but abrupt ending - it would not have been difficult to develop the characters and make the story longer. This was supposed to be a holiday read, but I was left wanting! However, it is a most amusing read.
on 26 June 2015
Got off to a good start and I was quite enjoying it, when it suddenly ended! Was left feeling vaguely cheated, I wanted to know more about what happened to the couple...that's why I've only given it 3 stars.
on 19 April 2014
Excellent story, downloaded after seeing a mention on Facebook. Nick Hornby is high on my listof favourite writers and this is yet another example of why I rate him so highly. Believable characters with real flaws, convincing storyline and a fair amount of recognizable details that could fit the previous life of many readers (well, this one, anyway).
on 22 September 2014
I was disappointed because I hadn't realised this was a short story. It was a good idea that was going nowhere and ended abruptly. I felt the author had run out of ideas and couldn't take it anywhere so brought it to a halt. I enjoyed the humour but felt let down.
on 11 May 2013
Yes, it's short, and as others have said, maybe it could be the basis of something longer.
But for me it is perfect in it's form and all the more enjoyable for it.
I liked the way it made me think of all the times we do things which when taken in isolation are quite unreasonable, and then justify them as reasonable in a wider context. This book is often about such things, the things making the Bastard of the title.
Short, but perfectly enjoyable, and highly recommended.