VINE VOICEon 24 December 2012
This is good- very good. I read it whilst preparing the sprouts for Christmas day- and it made a mundane task enjoyable.

Thing is, I want more! The story is enough for a film- I can imagine Martin Freeman in a working title production, with Richard Curtis producing; the story is that complete.

Plus, I have to say, it ends funny.

But, I recommend it- 99p of loveliness.
on 12 February 2013
Charlie gets divorced from Elaine and, suddenly free of her ex-husband's presence, Elaine begins writing about Charlie in her weekly column titled "Bastard" published in a national newspaper. And, much to Charlie's horror, she is writing about everything - his bad habits, his sexual performance, his parenting faux pas - everything she hated about him and their marriage. And now everyone can read about it!

Nick Hornby's struck upon an interesting idea for a story but it quickly becomes clear why this became a short story and not a novel - besides the setup, nothing much happens. Charlie is publicly shamed for being an inattentive lover, a less-than-brilliant father, and a philanderer, but otherwise the concept doesn't advance much beyond the column being published each week and Charlie being embarrassed every time. And then it ends rather abruptly.

I thought the scene where Charlie and Helena, the victim of a competing column written by a vengeful husband called "Bitch", awkwardly get together in a hotel room one afternoon was funny, and the story is amusing enough for the most part. But it's not up there with Hornby's better short story efforts like the brilliant "Otherwise Pandemonium" and "Not a Star".
on 21 August 2012
I really, really enjoyed this story and would love to have read more. In fact, it's a great idea for a novel and if developed into one by someone of Nick Hornby's skills then I am sure it would be brilliant. But this is way too short. I know it's only 99p and what you get is truly excellent so I shouldn't really complain (writing something like this isn't easy) and I feel slightly bad doing so but I can't help feeling disappointed. I'd still recommend it, though, if you're a big Hornby fan. It's vintage stuff but in a very small serving.
on 15 August 2013
Another great little kindle single. This is Hornby on top form. Although the length of story doesn't allow for his usual depth, this is still a hilarious read, with some absolutely genius lines.
The concept of a man unintentionally being thrown under the public microscope is very much of the moment and particularly relevant in our tell all society.
Overall, this funny little story with more than a touch of social commentary is well worth the money.
on 11 May 2013
Yes, it's short, and as others have said, maybe it could be the basis of something longer.
But for me it is perfect in it's form and all the more enjoyable for it.
I liked the way it made me think of all the times we do things which when taken in isolation are quite unreasonable, and then justify them as reasonable in a wider context. This book is often about such things, the things making the Bastard of the title.
Short, but perfectly enjoyable, and highly recommended.
on 7 January 2013
I have been a fan of Nick Hornby for years and although 'a short', this story is in typical Hornby fashion. As usual, the characters are believable and not padded out, and he captures urban life with the accuracy of a sniper. The pace is fast and perhaps that is the only downfall as I was kind of left feeling derailed with the ending, which is so abrupt it left me feeling that there should have been more mileage with this one.

Mark Barber - author of 'Bad At Being Bad'
on 19 April 2014
Excellent story, downloaded after seeing a mention on Facebook. Nick Hornby is high on my listof favourite writers and this is yet another example of why I rate him so highly. Believable characters with real flaws, convincing storyline and a fair amount of recognizable details that could fit the previous life of many readers (well, this one, anyway).
on 27 December 2013
Story takes a little while top settle down, there is a whirlwind of exposition to work through before you hit the real Hornby: the scintillating dialogue and witty observations. They do come though and punch this up a notch. You will be sad that there aren't at least 1,000 more words, but you'll be happy you spent the measly purchase price.
on 11 March 2014
Three stars, because I didn't get much from this story, just a couple of laughs really. The style of the story is effortlessly unique and makes the characters easy to relate to. I'm not sure about the end, seemed to missing a conclusion, but perhaps it's me who is missing something.
on 26 December 2012
Nick Hornby is one of my favourite authors of all time. This short story is funny and his social commentary as brilliant as ever. The only thing to dislike about it is it's over too soon! I hope it won't be too long before he unleashes a new novel I always eagerly anticipate them.