Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 2 September 2012
So it was cheap, at 0,99 euro, but even then ... It took me less than a quarter of an hour to read it, too.

I'll admit that I laughed, more than once, in this follow up to 1000 Years of Annoying the French. It's supposed to bring it up to date, with four short chapters: on the possibility of merging the British and French navies; on the British Royal Family and French jealousy thereof; on the DSK affair (with an article Stephen Clarke wrote for the New York Times reproduced, presumably, in full) and untouchable politicians in general; and on the credit crunch.

To pad out the four chapters, there is an "about the book", an "about the author" and an introduction which paraphrases the "about the book". Chapter 1 starts at 5%.

At 55% there is an Appendix with corrections to mistakes in 1000 Years of Annoying the French

At 63%, it's all over, and we are treated to a taster of the up and coming The Merde Factor: (Paul West 5) so that Mr Clarke can make some more money. Not from me, mon pote, tu ne m'auras pas une deuxième fois !
on 17 March 2013
I really enjoyed the 'parent' of this book, '1,000 Years of Annoying the French', and 'Encore' brings the comments right up to date. It is, as one might expect, all about politics and not war (we've managed a few years without actually killing each other).

I have read other reveiews that are highly critical of the brevity of this book but, as the Kindle version is just £0.84, I can't see what's to complain about. I don't feel cheated by the fact that this is just a couple of short chapters long but I do feel a little bit conned in that the last 25% of the book is just the first chapter of Mr Clarke's next book, 'The Merde Factor'. So, rather than advertising this book as "Here's the next installment of '1,000 Years...'", it should, really, be "Here's an advert for my next book and, by the way, here's a quick update on '1,000 Years...'". I would have given this book four stars but for that deception.

Still an amusing and entertaining way to while away an hour and one of the best ways of spending 84p I know.
on 24 October 2013
This is a mini-ebook which is an update for Stephen Clarke's book 1000 years of annoying the French (which I have also read).

Clarke has an incredibly witty way of writing about facts, which is kind of similar to his fiction writing skills in his book A Year in the Merde (and subsequent sequels which I am yet to read, but probably should). He also wrote a book on Paris that I have read.

His style makes something that could be incredibly dull very interesting, and though 1000 years focuses on history, mainly warfare and political, as well as little annoying things like where the baguette actually came from, Annoying the French Encore focuses more on the political side of things, and this is far more recent. I must admit that I was chuckling out loud at some points! It helps if you have a basic grasp of French history and political systems (I knew the France and the Fifth Republic, and France since the Revolution modules at Uni would be useful for something!) but it isn't necessary, Clarke has a clear and interesting way of explaining things!

One of the bits that made me laugh the most was the way that he described David Cameron walking out of an EU summit because of what Sarkozy said, made even funnier to me because it was about the same subject as my placement essay is (French Financial Transaction Tax!)

This ebook also goes into things such as the French jealousy of our Royal Family (true, I saw the French papers when the world discovered Kate was pregnant, important news was most definitely relegated!), French political scandals (and how the French just blow them over), who the French blame for the financial crisis (everyone but themselves), and the rumours of the merger of the English and French navies (to avoid 'bumps').

If you have never read a book by Stephen Clarke and you are interested in France and French culture (or you want a laugh) then what are you waiting for???? Get to a book shop or amazon and order now!

Blog: [...]
on 1 December 2014
If you liked the previous, half-tongue-in cheek Stephen Clarke books on Anglo-French views on history and rival cultures, you will like this one. It's a good postscript, in a sense an update on how the love-hate-mistrust relationship continues to simmer and he tells this in a typically amusing way. Inevitably it rests on the laurels of his previous efforts to some considerable degree.
on 2 December 2012
Like many Englishmen I go to France every year and I like many French things. I like Camembert and Beaujolais and all manner of nice Gallic delicacies. I thought that this book was okay up to a point, but I also thought that it glossed over many of the complexities binding the French and English nations together. Yes, I had a laugh and I thought it was amusing at times - but I think the author should have also focused more on events where the two nations were yoked together, such as the Anglo-French ententene cordiale and the Suez crisis, to give his book a more balanced feel to it. Anyway, that's my opinion for what its worth. Maybe someone should be inspired to write a book about the things that unite us - rather than set us apart?
on 17 March 2013
A nice little top up book with Stephen Clarke's take on recent events in France, but I was expecting more, almost half the book is a taster preview of his latest novel...
on 14 May 2013
I enjoyed this short tale of recent differences between our nation's. It's very short but worth reading nonetheless and at 84p good value.
on 5 March 2014
This book had my husband chuckling loudly as he read - as well as educating me on extraordinary facts he had newly discovered. He enjoyed it so much I ordered further copies for presents as well as the sequel. I now await an opportunity to read both of them myself.
on 16 March 2014
Loved A 1000 years of annoying the French and really enjoyed the Encore but I would have liked it longer and with a bit more depth.
on 11 July 2013
Good follow on to first book to 1000 years 'annoying the french'! I Will read more books by this author!