Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 2 October 2016
In the past Jimmy had the knack of turning contemporary issues into great lyrics on his excellent recordings. I truly love his albums 'Special' and 'Follow My Mind', the latter containing the brilliant track 'Hypocrites' ( you just can't get better than that ). The trouble here, however, is that Jimmy has grown old ( like me ) and still thinks he's got his finger on the pulse ( like me). The truth is he ( we ) ain't, but it doesn't stop us from acting like we do. This is not too good an example of Jimmy as a social commentator at the top of his game. This is more like the old Lion who still wants to hold his position in the pride but doesn't have the bite anymore. That's what happens to us all eventually. there's no shame in it, just a need to be more of a sage as a songwriter rather than pretending to be that young man still. Maybe his next release will depict the experienced elderly man expressing his views and not the imitator of his former self trying to make the grade in a younger persons persona.

Eamonn
on 6 September 2012
Jimmy's getting on a bit now and the years of his heyday were well before I was born but this album says something to me ,and if you've got half a brain for a lyric or half a grasp of rhythm, it'll do something for you. Upon the first listen two things become clear: 1) Jimmy has something to say about the world we live in and 2) he still knows how to say it. Some of this is pure joy. Check out his version of "Guns of Brixton" in particular. Just buy it.
on 8 May 2014
Seriously, just buy it!

If you like Jimmy Cliff, reggae and or ska you wont be disappointed. It is produced by Tim Armstrong, the lead singer of Rancid (hence the Ruby Soho cover).

I genuinely like every song on the album and I dont own many albums that I can honestly say that about.
on 16 July 2012
Wow... what a fantastic album - some really great tunes on here - Jimmy Cliff really goes back to his roots on this CD, but keeps the fresh feel to all of the tunes. All the songs are instantly catchy but still grow on you even more over time... Its really hard to pick a favourite, I guess it depends what I feel like when listening to this CD - Great lyrics, music, production and amazing lead vocals from Jimmy Cliff as ever. A definite must have :)
on 12 October 2015
Awesome mix of differing styles of west indies music, Mr Cliff's voice has evolved well.
play loud in the car on a summers day/
on 30 March 2015
FABULOUS he's great even after all those years in the Music business
on 21 July 2012
This new album really puts Jimmy Cliff back on top ,nearly all the songs are in the same vein as the sort of stuff that made Jimmy popular before . The album is a real return to form after a few mis-steps with polished modern reggae albums of late . If you like Jimmy Cliff you will love this ..I do !
on 17 July 2012
Magnificent. Every track is magical. It's the reggae album of The Summer That Never Was, but it'll bring the sunshine in to your life. An uplifting treasure.
on 11 January 2016
Awesome album
on 21 October 2014
Jimmy Cliff has to be one of my all time favourite artists. This album is good undoubtedly. The problem here is that the stuff Jimmy was doing in the sixties and seventies was so iconic that he has given himself too much to live up to. I have to say the older stuff wins out, despite or perhaps because of the more modern production on Rebirth.