on 11 December 2012
For the price range, you can't go wrong. I've paired this with a 7870 and everything run's fantastic, sadly most games aren't heavily threaded so they don't take advantage of multiple cores which is why i opted for the dual core with 4 threads. I'm expecting a performance hit when I'm going to play planetside 2 and BF3 multiplayer as these can use all the resources of a quad core. Overall, it's an awesome buy.
on 14 June 2013
I bought this to go with an Asus P8H61-MX USB3 motherboard as a replacement for a dead ABit AN8-32X motherboard on my children's computer (one of my old cast-offs), and coupled it with 8 GB of Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM (2x 4 GB sticks). Putting that in the carcass of the dead machine (which was running Fedora Linux) resurrected it and resulted in a very respectable machine for an upgrade cost of under £200. Needless to say I was very happy with the result and it runs faster than I'd expected (my usual machine is an i7). My son no longer pesters me to use my machine because his own is too slow.
on 13 January 2013
It works and its fast. What else can you say about it, this is a lot of CPU for the money.
on 23 February 2014
Cheap and low power, yet it packs a punch! The perfect CPU for a budget SFF build? This is(was) it! Haswell is obviously the one to get now, but if you can pick up a second hand one for 50 quid, go for it! I used this for gaming with a 7850 and it coped 100%. Recently upgraded to a i5 and 760 because I'm doing music production and needed extra horsepower.
on 29 January 2015
The Intel Core i3 offers the best balance between power consumption and performance. The power consumption is low, as is the TDP meaning it runs very cool, but hyperthreading allows it to handle four threads of compute instructions, making it almost as good as a quad core processor. This is an excellent cpu for the work pc that might get used for occasional gaming. Obviously for high end gaming, you would go for an Intel i5 or i7, or an AMD equivalent like the FX 6300.
on 24 September 2012
This is a fantastic CPU, almost certainly the fastest dual core you can buy (apart from the other ivy bridge i3s, but what difference does 1Ghz make?). The difference between this and my brother's AMD Phenom x4 in terms of performance on games that are traditionally cpu intensive like GTA IV, is negligble. With a fast enough graphics card you can run it on max settings no problem. And as for games where you just need one or 2 fast cores (most games), my system is faster (we are both using graphics cards in the same price range).
So if you dont want to splash out on an i5 but you still want a powerful Intel processor, look no further.
on 24 August 2014
Bought to quickly fix an experiment gone wrong, and to be honest should have just spent the money on this in the first place.

Good mix of power and price and does its job without complaint. This is for a second PC so all out power not needed but imagine I could tax it more if needed.
on 9 January 2014
I upgraded from this to a i5 3570k, to be honest apart from crysis 3 I haven't noticed much in performance. It did everything really we'll with no fuss, the i5 has a weird temp problem worth core 0 running at much cooler temps that cores 1-3 Amazon aren't interest in resolving issue as seller has disappeared.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2014
A great CPU with plenty of processing power for the everyday user. Comes at a great price and has no problems dealing with photo editing, streaming movies and playing games.

NOTE: If your thinking of getting a CPU for basic use then dont go lower than this as anything older will simply become redundant as technology is evolving rapidly. This is the new gen at a good price
on 22 January 2013
The Best Budget Gaming Processor On The Market Right Now Unbelievable Performance.
This CPU Is Better In Performance And Price Compared To All The 1st And 2nd And Some 3rd Generation Core i5 CPU's
Maybe Even Better Than Some Core I7's !

Pros:Good Fast Hyper Threaded Cpu Good For Gaming
Cons: The Core I3 3225 Is Out But Only Offers A Little Performance Boost But Is Not Worth The Upgrade.

My Rig

Radeon Hd 6670 1 Gb Gddr5 Asus Edition
8 Gb DDR3 Crucial Ram
1 Tb Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Intel Core I3 3220 (THIS CPU)
Cit Vantage Gamers Case