on 1 June 2013
Had depression for some years now, sadly, just had another 'dark cloud' hang over me for a while. However, thanks to some excellent counselling I am feeling so much better. My counsellor advised it may be of some benefit to obtain this book from the local library, tried but they had a long waiting list.
Ordered form Amazon yesterday, sat and read it earlier today, only circa 150 pages.
If you think you are depressed or someone you know and care about may be depressed, this is an excellent way of explaining what counselling can do and what people can actually do for themselves.
It is presented in a totally uncomplicated way, set amongst the classic tale 'Wind in the Willows' that most people are familiar with, not to worry if you are not, it works with or without previous knowledge.
It provides a really easy way to recognise both a person suffering from depression (in this case, myself) and their friends and close family describing how they can react to someone close becoming unwell.
I will continually recommend this book to any and all depressives out there,what do you have to lose within it's 150 pages it may enlighten, educate and enable you to start on that road to recovery, get well soon and I hope you find happiness.
on 17 April 2012
Toad, Ratty, Mole and Badger are all old friends for those of a certain age and even if you haven't read the original recently (or at all!)this is great fun. It was recommended to me by my brother and i thoroughly enjoyed it. It is interesting how Transactional Analysis (on which the counselling process described is based) has gained such credibility since its arrival but this is a short volume which can be enjoyed on one's daily commute. It is broken down into shortish chapters,each of which corresponds to one of Toad's sessions with his counsellor, Heron. Whilst it is not a textbook, nor is intended to be, there is enough information for one to reflect on one's own situation should you wish to.
A great little read, for fun and for greater insight into one of the counselling tools.
on 1 September 2012
I've been looking into training to become a counsellor for a little while now and was recommended this book through another author. I've never approached Transactional Analysis before, but this was the perfect introduction. If only every style of counselling could be written about in this way!

The book is very informative and I actually learned a lot about myself through reading the book. It is very easy to read and humorous. De Board uses the original 'Wind in the Willows' story very cleverly and it really was a pleasure to read. I know I'll read it again and again, and it has furthered my interest in training to become a counsellor. A must-read for anyone in counselling or who'd simply like to get to know themselves and others a little bit better!
on 7 April 2017
I was a little hesitant about reading this book on the recommendation of someone I know. I thought it would be a poor reinterpretation of the original Kenneth Grahame characters instead it was inspired. The retelling of Toad's life, his hopes, failures and getting to the heart of understanding of Toad as well as seeing a very snide Mole was excellent. Enjoy!
on 9 April 2017
An excellent self help book following Mr Toad and the different approaches his friends try to support him.
on 3 January 2015
This is a fantastic book. It breaks down the cognetic theory in a way that is easy to understand and allows the reader a clear insight into how ordinary events in our life affect our way of thinking and dealing with life. Highly recommended.
on 3 March 2017
I love this book! Takes you on a journey of self exploration if you dare!
Book was as described in good condition and I had a nice email from the company on purchasing which is refreshing for me as the customer 5 stars.
on 29 March 2017
Excellent book....very helpful.
on 26 March 2017
good
on 19 June 2014
Reading this bought back memories of counselling in my life and the positive effect it can have. A really relatable read.