Customer reviews

Disco Nights (Expanded Edition)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2017
This is a classic album that still sounds strong nearly 40 years after its original release.
on 21 August 2017
Good CD
on 19 May 2017
great product arrived before time.
on 1 September 2017
Excellent CD.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 January 2017
While I would applaud BBR for their choice of long-overdue CD releases, I have not always liked some of the remastering jobs. It can be a VERY slippery slope remastering a song like 'Disco Nights (Rock Freak)' because those who knew and LOVED it at the time are likely to notice anything that stands out as different about it and a record released in 1979 never was intended to sound like a current record...

I am very glad therefore to say that on this occasion I feel the remastering has been done sympathetically and that because of that the whole record sounds as near to as you remember it but just a bit clearer. 'Disco Nights' always was a corker of an album as the band were one of the tightest live outfits around and the songs all have a 'natural funkiness' about them - no artificial nonsense here!

What really makes this release worth the full five stars, however, is the extra tracks. I had forgotten just how different the full, remixed 12" version of 'Disco Nights' was to the album version (and original U.K. 12" mix) and so to have both of them here to compare in (relatively) quick succession is great. Equally, I had never really 'bought' into the bands cover of 'Boogie-Oogie-Oogie' as how could anything live with the original by 'A Taste Of Honey'?' I still don't rate the album mix that much (the album on its own would get 4 stars) but the 12" version here really rocks the joint and the promo 12" is much more like a straight cover of the original groove. Both tracks are good and give you a real insight into how the record companies were 'utilising' their artists during the disco era and how genuinely different they all were as artists given the chance...

Likewise, 'Make My Dream A Reality' gets it chance to shine more brightly here. I never really fell for its charms as the follow up to the title track - it seemed a bit too 'slick and nice' in comparison - but here the subtle groove and the bands soulful and melodic approach get a chance to get under your skin - the repeated plays doing the song a favour.

Overall then, this is a fine release from BBR and seeing as it comes with a very interesting booklet full of info, memorabilia and photos you should 'get your groove on' to the purchase button and buy this!
on 3 September 2012
As part of my ongoing trying of retro albums from my youth,I had a 12" USA single [disco nights/boogie boogie oggie] which was played excessively it was time for a cd.A few albums have dissapointed so far but this cd exceeded my expectations a good solection of songs that gell well along with bonus tracks two of which seem to be as my version. well mastered clear presentation. i am now wondering if the BBR uk edition will have different mixes to the usa version? eitherway the uk version has an extra track,so might just have that too.What better endorsment is that!!! Now i need d-train albums to get the same treatment!
on 1 September 2014
vary good disco co
on 3 April 2013
I have always wanted this album since my early teens in the 80's,if you like this music,then you should buy,production is excellent.Delivered on time,and in perfect condition
on 26 March 2010
I remember having this on vinyl back in the day and remembering how slick the record sleevs looked. This is the downside of CDs, the artistic quality of the album sleeve is lost. This CD captures much of the essence of cool and disco at the time. The Billy Stewart classic ballads also adorn this collection nicely, the album came out at a time when I was learning about heartbreak and the tune 'make my dream a reality' was a soundtrack for me at the time. Disco Nights is inconsistent but a great compliment to the Chic movement of the time.