Format: Audio CD|Change

I love my nostalgia! - and I was a big fan of The Glitter Band in my early teens. I could only rarely afford LP's back then, so my only taste of the album came through "The Tears I Cried" & "People Like You and People Like Me" but I was kinda intrigued on learning that this 1975 release was a considerable diversion from the band's more familiar output - an attempt by the band to establish it's own identity.... Well, some fans were happy with the outcome, some less so (judging by the other reviews so far!)

Anyway, here's a random flick through some of the tracks: IMO the opening track "Where Have You Been" is the pick of the litter, with it's slow swirling build up to an infectious climax. There's only the occasional reminder of the 'Glitter' years, with " The Tears I Cried" mirroring the feel of the band's earlier big hit "Goodbye My Love", while amongst the bonus tracks "Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep" & "I Can Hear Music" are catchy enough.
Some of the music however, is a major detour, with "Let Me Love You" seeing a foray into Reggae, while "Makes You Blind" has a driving 'disco' beat....and as for "Tuna Biscuit" - I can only echo the words of another reviewer: "Average White Band" indeed.

While I will applaud the band for seeking out their own identity, apart from a number of exceptions, some of the album & bonus tracks just aren't my cup of tea I'm afraid, although admittedly there are some pleasantly melodic Pop/Rock/Ballad tunes sprinkled here & there, along with some pleasing harmonies. Perhaps I'm getting old (I'm pushing 53)...I've taken in so much stuff during the intervening years, and naturally some of the music that was great for me all those years ago no longer casts the same spell. For me, the first track is exceptional though, IMO one of the best (if not THE best) the band has ever produced. The album itself I would rate 7/10, but I feel that the many bonus tracks should also be taken into consideration, so I have given it 8/10.
on 6 September 2012
Being a life long Glitter Band fan I was pleased that Listen To The Band has now being released on cd for the first time. This album is diffrent from the first two. This was the band trying to get away from the Glitter tag. John Springate was lead vocal on most of the songs with Harvey and Pete having a go for the first time (Watch The Show and My first Mistake). I remember when I bought the album back in 1975 I liked it then and listing to it now I still do. The band clould have got another few singles from the album but they did'nt.The Band had a choice when they released Alone Again from the album or White Christmas not on the album I like Alone Again which did not chart it had a christmas feel to it also.
This Album is the Glitter Band getting their own identidy and growing up for more mature music. Long live The Glitter Band.
on 28 November 2013
Many years ago i saw this band 4 times brought all the records and they sounded great, but for many years i havent played my albums so i sold all of them,then i went on you tube and listend to them again and wow the songs sounded great it brought it all back again,so i have started collecting the cds of the band and this one has to be the top one ,all diffrent types of songs brillant cd,i would recommend this to anyone to add to there collection.
on 1 January 2016
After two strong albums, the Glitter Band reached their pinnacle with the original version of this LP. The bonus tracks are a worthy addition and the overall standard is sky-high. "People Like You...", for example, marked a new maturity for the band yet, sadly, proved to be their last hit. With a slight Bee Gees vibe, it was more subtle than the early stuff and suggested a golden future for the guys. "The Tears I Cried" also fared well as a single, but the album tracks here also stand up to close scrutiny. "My First Mistake" is a dreamy, captivating ballad. "Dream Baby" oozes pure pop. Of the bonus tracks, "I Can Hear Music" leaps out as a missed classic (it was actually a B-side) and "Don't Make Promises", released as a single some time after this album, is gritty and melodic, benefitting from some neat banjo work. "Listen to the Band" saw the group at the height of its powers and is worth checking out.
on 16 August 2012
i purchased this in 1975 and is always a favorite of mine . it was damaged when i moved and have been waiting for this to be released on cd, recieved this morning by post put the cd on and could not believe what i had missed all these years ago. it is a fresh now at was before could not understand why this did not chart. the opening track where have you been spectacular and just goes on and on. many thanks for the glitter band for releasing this cd and hope paris match under g band .
on 11 September 2012
I bought this album around 1978 a few years after it was released in a bargin bin and I'm glad i did,the album kicks off with the best song i think they ever wrote where have you been its followed by the single people like you people like me which was a top ten hit the album includes quite a few good ballads and ends with the great single the tears i cried,this cd release includes a lots of good bonus tracks including my favourite don't make promises you carnet keep,yes sit back and enjoy!
on 27 September 2012
ell i use to have this album in the youth !
and always rememberd it as being very good,
so its nice to finally see it out on cd at last,
i bought on pre -order and got it for a fraction of the price witch was even better,
there is so much good stuff on here as well,
i was playingit and was asked who is this !!
they could not belive it was the glitter band!
its a amaziing cd full of singles & extra tracks from this great band,
on 12 September 2013
Great tracks from a band that deserved more recognition for there work sadly this had been denied by circumstances beyond there control if you like the 70s music you will enjoy this album
on 7 July 2013
a good quality cd that let me enjoy the music from the 70's as I remember it would recommend to anyone that enjoyed this type of music in the pass
on 12 January 2013
Listen to the band is the Glitter Bands third album. I was a massive fan of the Glitter Band in the 70s and I found this album in a record shop and bought it. I was very exited and could not wait to listen to it. The only track I knew was "The Tears I cried" as at the time I bought the LP, "People like you and People Like me" had not been released. I remember playing it for the first time and getting a massive feeling of disappointment. I was expecting something that sounded like the Glitter Band, You know a good set of stomping sing along pop classics. What I found was songs and sounds that were different from that I had expected. I felt betrayed. The album opens with "where have you been" which I can only describe as a sort of second rate Space Oddity with a slightly different story (but I do quite like it). Then "People like you and People like me" a sort of gospel song. "My first Mistake" is a ballad which is ok I suppose. As the Album goes on I realise that the Glitter Band don't want to be the Glitter Band any more, they want to make well produced MOR, AOR safe,rather dull and corny songs that lack originality and any direction. "People Like You and People like me" went on to be a hit for them but other singles "Alone Again" that were taken off the Album failed to chart. The band then changed the name to the G band for the next Album. This is very far removed from "Angel Face" and I do understand that groups have to change but The Glitter Band had a very distinctive sound and while they did manage to change it "Goodbye My Love" and "The Tears I cried" being great examples of progressing the sound and style in a Successful way, Listen to the band is just a confusing mixture of Gospel, Ballads, Reggae (well sort of) a track that sounds like the Average White Band, everything but The Glitter Band. In a nutshell goes in every direction but ends up confusing. I was thirteen when I first herd this and I'm in my fifties now. I think it's even worse Album in retrospect than I thought it was when I was in my more forgiving teens. The Glitter Band are one of my favorite bands of all time. I think they made some terrific records and I have seen them live, they were fantastic. I just don't believe this Album was the greatest moment in the Bands history.