on 13 January 2017
She was in one of the bands i loved, and sad to see here one day gone the next, but she has carved a career now in writing, but she thoroughly enjoyed the fun times of music in the 80s, good read
on 28 September 2012
I loved this book - Louise Wener is nearly the same age as me so I totally related to the "Britpop" scene she described and the different bands. When I had read articles about her years ago she always seemed a little cold and defensive in print. How refreshing to see the real Louise, warm, witty, had me laughing aloud and wondering why Damon didnt share his cheese with her so to speak! Even name checked my favourite ever indie band which made me smile. I read this book in one sitting and it just left me wanting more.
on 20 February 2013
I love this book. From taping the top 40 to being on Top of the Pops, this book takes you on a breathless journey. There is a telling moment where a fan cries at meeting Wener, not many pages after being a geeky kid, and you can see the ludicrous situation famous people find themselves in. But wait until you read her description of how Michael Stipe carries himself. A glorious book about a glorious time. National Treasure status beckons.
on 28 September 2014
Brilliant thank you!
on 26 July 2015
best book I've read in ages. Very nostalgic. If you love Britpop and lived through the 90's read this!
on 10 August 2013
A great read through the Brit Pop era of the 1990's, open and honest I really enjoyed her story as much as i enjoyed listening to Sleeper both then and now.
on 2 August 2011
if you ever dreamt of being a pop star then this may make you think again, the reality can be very different. whilst there are certainly moments that live up to expectations this book gives the impresssion that these are few and far between. The music almost becomes secondary as you are pulled in other directions. sleeper certainly had their moments in the limelight but unfortunately anyone linked in with the brit pop scene died when the press moved onto the next best thing eg suede, pulp, oasis, echobelly, blur. No doubt they all produced some great music in their time but when the bubble burst it did so almost overnight.

this is a great read, at times it appears louise wener is the only sane person alive desperately trying to hang onto her dream but being pulled every which way by a manic record industry who have little interest in music only money!

whilst we all have dreams of being a pop star, reading this makes me think i didnt miss too much but also makes me realize how much c**p you have to go through if you want to get to the top or even just survive in the business.

I have a sleeper cd at home and i have to be honest I havent had it on for a long time, i think i will dig it out and have another listen and re assess.
on 1 February 2013
as a big fan of Sleeper, Britpop, and Louise too, this book ticked a lot of boxes for me. I really enjoyed the narrative of the author's early years, and the slog involved in pursuit of the elusive recording contract, and then all the trappings and bizarre life that came with the eventual success. The only reason I didn't give a five star rating is because I felt the chapters about the downside and eventual inevitable band break up weren't as detailed as the rise to fame. This could be an entirely truthful representation of events with nothing more to add, but the author had been so frank and meticulous with every other aspect of the book that I was left feeling a little short changed!

Having said that I would still recommend the book, it was a great read which could easily be devoured in a couple of sittings
on 9 October 2014
I have read literally hundreds of rock biographies and autobiographies and I can tell you this is one of the best handful I've come across.
It's smart and witty yet remains clear-eyed and honest - making it highly engaging. The technique of writing in the present tense within each era is beguiling if not easy to pull off, but she nails it, meaning that - most unusually - the chapters on her early life are every bit as enjoyable as the more fame-filled later ones.
I'm too old to have fallen in love with her when she fronted her fine band Sleeper, as so many men did, but after reading this book it would be hard not to feel a little spark for someone who can write so enchantingly about her failings as much as her success. I was sorry when I'd finished it - now on to the next turgid rock book...
on 5 July 2014
This is the best music biography I've read for years.

Sadly, quite a lot of music biogs are egotistical drug fuelled nonsense. I'd actually stopped reading music bios but I saw Louise Wener on some music chat show on BBC4 and they mentioned the book. I checked out the reviews on here and gave it a shot.

It's hilarious, warm and human. It about growing up as a nerdy girl with this wierd dream to be a popstar. And she becomes one. Thankfully Louise doesn't explain each of the songs in detail as if they are earth stattering statements. She recounts the ups and downs of Britpop and 'stardom' with a realism and perspective lost on most popstarts.

It's not only the best music bio I've read in recent years, its one of the best books I've read full stop.