on 20 May 2017
The music cd is great but the main selling point here is the fantastic dvd of 35 music vids. Two of the videos are 12 inch versions of "Venus" and "I can't help it". I had forgot that the trio became a duo in their later years, still its great to see the original line up back together in 2017. Hope their reunion goes on for years.
on 29 April 2017
9. The Wild Life
10. Do Not Disturb
11. Venus
12. More Than Physical
13. A Trick Of The Night (Colour Version)
14. I Heard A Rumour
27. More, More, More
28. Every Shade Of Blue
29. Take Me To Your Heart
30. Move In My Direction
31. Look On The Floor (Hypnotic Tango)
32. Love Comes
33. Love Don'T Live Here
34. Venus (12")
35. I Can'T Help It (12")

What a stonking set! You get a massive array of hits, vidoes and remixes. The value for money is fantastic. Disc 1 and you get hits with a couple of tracks I'd never heard before, always nice. The second disc gives you bags of videos with some of the best hits they released. Venus - iconic and sadly a good background to a few feminine hygiene product adverts. Nathan Jones - just good solid tunes you can get behind drunk or sober. Robert De Niros waiting - I never understood why they sang about Robert De Niro but I know it is a great tune.

You are getting great value here for retro tunes and videos. The singing into your hairbrush is optional.
on 12 July 2012
The mighty Bananarama are the best girl band of all time, no doubt about it. And here are a couple of dozen reasons why in this fabulous collection of their most well-known hit singles.

It's great to hear the rich harmonies right from the very beginning with Siobhan, thru Jackie, and to the hugely talented duo Sarah and Keren have continued to be since 1992. The quality of songwriting and performance never dips for a moment, and in fact it could be argued that in their most recent recordings - the brilliant massive hits that never were, 'Love Comes', and 'Love Don't Live Here' - they have produced the best material of their entire career. No mean feat when you consider the strength of the string of famous hit singles from the 80s and 90s. It's also refreshing to hear the two remaining members sing solo parts on the more recent material and demonstrate their strong and characteristic vocals.

It's often forgotten that all three original members and the two remaining members co-penned almost all of the tracks they recorded, and classics like 'Cruel Summer', 'Robert De Niro's Waiting', 'Look on the Floor', and 'Love in the First Degree' will never lose their sparkle or pop gem status. Even the handful of covers like 'Venus', 'Na Na Hey Hey' and 'Really Saying Something' are given new invigorating life and lifted to superior heights compared to the originals.

What's probably the top pull here though is the addition of a DVD of 2 hours plus of nearly every video the band ever made. This is what all the fans have wanted for many years, and it's no disappointment. The early videos show three girls very much in charge of their image and expression, often tongue in cheek with lots of nudging and giggling, and ultimately so charming. They mature as sex sirens as the 80s progress, but never lose their sense of humour or allow anyone to sell them as mere pretty packaging. But what's also fantastic about the DVD is that across 35 tracks you get to see and hear all the singles not included on the CD and realise that even when a song didn't make the top 20 it was still a bloody great track. "Cheers Then' and 'Trick of the Night' are stunning ballads, one naive, one bursting with power and confidence, while "Hotline to Heaven' and 'Rough Justice' show just how good their writing talents for more serious pop fare were even in their early days.

These women deserve so much more credit than they've ever been given, and could give any current girl group more than a run for their money in the melody and catchy hooks stakes. Let's hope this 30 year celebration is the big success it should be and reminds everyone just how brilliant it is to have Bananarama as part of the British music scene we are all so justly proud of.
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2012
The girls really came through on this collection! This includes nearly every Bananarama video, clean, uncut, and with no missing intros or endings. From the Fun Boy Three video up to their most recent work.

The video sources appear to be of consistently high quality with stereo audio. Nothing looks to be a VHS transfer like some other 80's artists collections seem to be. The whole collection is mastered all together so that you can skip forward or backwards through the videos without any weird transitions by the DVD player. The only exception is the two bonus extended videos are accessed through the bonus menu.

The only missing videos I'm aware of are Careless Whisper, Waterloo, and the alternate versions of I Want You Back and Trick of the Night.

Included are all the Pop Life and Please Yourself videos that never saw a proper retail release as well as the very rare Take Me To Your Heart.

Now if we can just get the same for Kim Wilde!
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2012
a long awaited and fab collection of the best of bananarama,have always being a huge fan of the girls,went to see them in concert in dublin in 1989 when they took their world tour here.what i love is not only do we get a great cd but also an amazing collection of their video's all on one dvd,from their classic floorfillers like venus,i heard a rumour,i want you back and love in the first degree to help,movin'on,only your love,last thing on my mind and move in my direction,along with greats such as cruel summer,robert de niro's waiting,nathan jones,rough justice,love,truth and honesty, this collection has something for everyone and no doubt this cd/dvd will be played at many parties for years to come,if-like me you grew up in the eighties this is like a soundtrack of your life(that is of course you are a bananarama fan).....enjoy!
on 19 March 2015
THIS CD + DVD COLLECTION IS EXCELLENT .
THE DVD IS GREAT BUT THE DVD IS EVEN BETTER .
THESE LADIES WERE VERY SEXY IN THE 1980s + 1990s .
NOW THERE IS JUST THE TWO OF THEM ~ KAZ + SARAH WHO ARE TRUELY LIKE A FINE WINE AND HAVE GOT BETTER OVERTIME . THEY ARE EXTREMELY ATRACTIVE FOR A COUPLE OF 50 PLUS BIRDS . THE MUSIC IS MORE UPTEMPO BUT STILL SOUNDS VERY STOCK AIKIN + WATERMAN .
A GREAT AD TO ANY CD / DVD COLLECTION .
DVD NTSC 480P / LINEAR PCM 2 CHANNEL STEREO / 96 KH ~ 16 BIT
on 24 May 2013
It's about time after nearly 30 years that these great music videos been made available in digital form.
They're outstanding, and stand up really well today. After downloading inferior postings on YouTube, what else can I say.
If you haven't seen these videos, get this disc.
Congratulations to all who made it happen.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 December 2012
I bought this as a Christmas present for myself but I lost all my self-control as soon as the delivery van pulled out of my road (I do often find myself getting rather unduly premature whenever I get excited). I had to go and wrap myself up a pair of socks for every day of the week instead but I'm glad I did because this CD and DVD are fabulous.

I'm no expert on the band. Indeed, I tend to have a very narrow spectrum of songs that I always gravitate towards. These do happen to coincide with Siobhan's presence in the trio but then that also coincides with school and all of those associated memories. I can put on 'Venus' and 1986 becomes almost tangible (that red PVC costume has lost none of its power, my word. THAT is what big televisions were invented for). 'Cruel Summer' brings 1983 right back as if it was yesterday. If they can use Max Bygraves tracks to improve the recall of the elderly then surely they can use Bananarama for... oh my God - the middle-aged?

The DVD is quite simply FUN! This band never looked to be taking themselves too seriously (ironically, that was the reason Siobhan upped sticks and left of course). Way before the Spice Girls came at you in their somewhat confrontational manner and told you how things were going to be from now on, Bananarama were getting the job done in a far more subtle manner. Their music comes at you with no hidden agendas. Mind you, having said that, there do seem to be a disproportionate number of half-naked men in quite a number of the videos, surely not representative of the population as a whole: even in the 80s. 'Girl Power'... I told you, they were much more subtle.

I guess with videos like these being so readily available on the internet these days, plus the fact that fans of Bananarama would already have most of the music in their collections anyway, it would need a special reason to buy this package. But what is wrong with a bit of outrageously self-indulgent nostalgia every once in a while?
on 25 March 2013
Love them then, love them now, from the first line up to the current duo, Karen and Sarah still have it.... They sound and look as sexy as they did when started if not even better, I will be a fan for life. This is a great collection and the DVD is great to watch as the girls always look like they are having a great time in them