on 15 September 2012
If you enjoy the short story form, you'll love this book. The stories are weird, adventurous, moving and at times hopeful. My favourites - and it's hard to choose - are the first and last stories both dealing with libraries. 'I arrive first ' by Emma Jane Unsworth kept me guessing and AK Benedict's story 'The Last LIbrary' - the last story in the collection - was brilliantly written, deeply involving and engaging. I enjoyed the top and tailing of the collection in this way, too. In between are stories by Stella Duffy, Jeannette Winterson and loads of others - what's not to like?
PS AK Benedict has a novel coming out in February 2012. I can't wait. The Beauty of Murder
on 29 December 2012
The stories are in general very well written and with some of the most original ideas - highly recommended to any lover of short stories.
on 12 June 2013
Thes stories are inspiring especially for a budding short story writter like me. We all need to aim as high as these writers.
on 1 November 2012
This is a fantastic collection. I actually couldn't put it down, which is rare for an anthology. Each story creates a world of its own and there are some truly masterful examples of the form. There's a wide range of genres and writers, but the level is universally high. I'm already looking forward to the 2013 collection.
on 19 November 2013
Excellent book of selection of short stories - from many different authors. Great as a stocking filler for Christmas or birthday gift for reader.
on 23 January 2015
I bought this for research into writing short stories and flash fiction. An enjoyable resource.
on 3 November 2014
lovely stories and helped to have it come so quickly for my course
on 15 February 2013
bought for wife and she either liked the stories or thought they were just plain stupid but at least they were talking points!
on 3 February 2013
I like all styles of writing from bios to sci fi but this was very very odd.
There was not one tale I could get my head round.
Get the sample first.
on 20 November 2013
I chose this rating because, although I didn't read the book myself because it was to give as a present, I did look at the table of contents and realized that it did include most of the authors I love and think highly of.