on 9 June 2017
Not quite Frank Herbert prose but fast moving and for Dune addicts worth the money
on 20 April 2017
Clasic
on 18 August 2004
After reading this book (and the first) I wanted more!
I had high hopes after reading the first book, and this was no disappointment. Many Dune fanatics will probably disagree with me, but I prefer to focus on the story itself.
The characters were even given more depth, more writing was involved in the giving of their personalities and their hopes/dreams/thoughts and more importantly their actions.
Each chapter is fairly short, which helps if you only have a few spare moments to read a bit, yet focused. The story does tend to swap between characters each chapter, which can be a little disorienting to some, but the consequences and actions of the characters are plainer to see than they would be if each section of the book was dedicated to a different character.
There were a few predictable moments, but I didn't feel that this detracted from the story at all.
In short, a very good read and it had the added bonus of making me want answers to further questions it posed, such as what happened even before the first book.
on 26 October 2003
So, another Dune episode is with us. Is it better then the original? No. Is it a good read that will have you wanting more? Yes. The new enstallment will have you wanting more, I for one want to see how the Guild will come into being, how the split with Harkonen and Atreides comes about. Not an epic as with the original but on the hole a far easier read.
on 17 December 2003
I think this book is superb, and is extremely fast-paced and difficult to put down...
Yes it doesn't have the depth of the original Dune series, but is describing far more events and characters' lives then the original Dune, which I was more rooted in events on Arrakis...
I can't wait for the next book in the series, and I think the authors have created a superb series of books...
I don't think anyone should tell people not to read a book, because they don't like it... Read it yourself, and decide..
on 11 May 2005
Dune: the machine crusade is undoubtedly a true dune book. Combining suspense, writing skill, length, and storytelling, Dune; the machine crusade is a great dune addition to a dune fan's bookshelf, and, for that matter, a sci-fi fan's shelf. The plot is very complex and very intricate, and is at times hard to understand/comprehend. It is almost impossible to give a 'quick or short' review on it. The two people write seamlessly, as though only one person wrote it. The title says it all: Dune: the machine crusade is mostly about the war against the thinking robots, with the people of Arrakis, the cymeks, and Norma Cenva and Aurelius Venport just having a small role in the story.
The story itself is set in the Dune universe, but, unlike the originals, are not centered around Arrakis. Instead, Dune; the machine crusade is in many places. Space, planets, different worlds, rockets, and, obviously, Arrakis. In fact, the place-to-place jumping between chapters can get rather confusing, leaving you with thoughts like 'What happened on arrakis 5 chapters ago again?' or 'I forgot when this was done' creeping into your mind. But, well, no book is perfect, but many do come close. This is one of those 'close to perfect' books.
Dune; the machine crusade will most likely appeal to people who love science fiction, or love the world of dune.
on 5 March 2004
If you're even slightly interested in the Dune series (especially the prequels) you'll want to read this book.
Events in the Jihad seem to be at a standstill after 25 years of fighting, humans are tired (short attention span?) and the Jihad leaders are desperate for anything (at times they're grasping at straws) that might help inspire the people to maintain the war effort... We find all the characters from the previous novel, with the advantage that they seem to be more alive this time (authors seem to have concentrated more on making them believable, developping their personalities).
A few questions do come to mind as you realise that what happens to several of these characters isn't at all like the references made to them in the original Dune series or the prequels... You're waiting (in vain) for the moment in which Harkonnen betrays Atreides and the Jihad, I seem to remember references to Serena Butler's lover Rafael Corrino (who's that guy? haven't met him yet!).
Let's hope things become clearer in the final book of the trilogy (and hope that one comes out soon!)
on 21 November 2003
I thought this book taken on its own was an enjoyable enough read, though I find myself continually frustrated by the long periods of jumping between all the characters I don't really like, and occasionally I was almost on the verge of skipping fifty or so pages just to read the next exciting action bit.
The biggest problem is, even if you take this book on its merits, it will always be in the shadow of Dune and it's sequels. And I don't think any author has the capability to pick up someone elses story and continue it in a way which will please everyone.
This book isn't bad, its just not as great as it could've been.
on 17 December 2003
I found it surprising that people found the latest book disappointing...
I suppose it just shows how subjective our tastes in books are..
on 15 September 2003
I have to disagree with the previous poster. I've read both the original Dune novels and the previous and current prequels by Anderson and Herbert. I was amazed by the quality of this book. Whereas it is not the most complicated book ever, one should not over-value the original Dune books. These were very good (in fact, some of my favourite) but full of stereotypes of good (Atreides) and evil (Harkonnen). As are the new novels.
However, where the previous four prequels over-emphasized action scenes, and never quite seemed to come loose of the original novels, these finally develop a whole new storyline (not only trying to explain plotlines of the original novels). The action scenes are in a way more complicated and more entwined with political (Iblis Ginjo) concerns (as in the third installment of the original novel).
Some very interesting characters are developed, not in the least in the robot camp: Erasmus is intriguing, as is Seurat (in his confrontation scene w/ Vorian Atreides). In the human camp, Leronica is an intriguing and sufficiently complicated lady, as is my personal favourite Iblis Ginjo.
All in all, in its conventions, this book is a more complicated, better written, and more interesting SF book. Important is that you see it as a book in its own right, and not only as a prequel to the original novels. I look forward to the next novel.