Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 5 March 2017
daughter delighted with this cd
on 17 December 2008
Just a quick note about the track listing for disc two: the speeches are not included, despite being labelled as such on the CD cover. The listing should read:

20. Encore 1: Entrance of International Valjeans
21. Encore 2: Do You Hear the People Sing?/One Day More!

Otherwise, I echo the other reviews. It's a great listen and the catchy tunes make it surprisingly addictive. All the performances are top-notch, but Philip Quast's rendition of 'Stars' is just sublime.
on 5 October 2004
After seeing the musical and loving it, I decided to get the soundtrack. It brought back the experience of the musical and the voices of Philip Quast as Javert and Lea Salonga as Eponine are incomparable. Once I had started I just couldn't stop listening to it. Now, about three months later, I still can't stop. Believe me! Don't leave this! Buy it!
on 26 August 2006
After listening to Les Mis as my parents only tape as a child i have grown up with it. On getting this Cd i can see why i have such fond memories of it. It is beutifully done, performed and the singing especially from the leads i.e Valjean and Javert is with so much passion i cant say. This is reflcted in the wild applause of the audience which reminds you that it is live and to perform music of this quality live is amazing. The cast once again is fantastic the music is beutiful and if your unfamiliar with Les Mis this is a great place to start. It is a great story but more importantly a fantastic piece of music with great songs, catchy, emotional and somewhat funny. So really in conclusion a great piece of music exceptionally well performed. Its inpiring, buy it!!
on 15 May 2017
The definitive version - flawless
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2002
Well what can be said about Les Miserables other than Amazing?, and with the dream cast the recording really is a dream come true! Les Miserables was slandered by critics when it open at the Barbican Theatre all those years ago, but the public adored the shows gritty realism and vulnerablility!
Heading the cast is the origional London Jean Vajean, Colm Wilkinson and he does a grand job!! I found Bring Him Home a very boring song until i heard his version, the definitive Jean! Javert and the thenadiers are played very well! Ruthie Henshall shos a strong Fantine and as usual commands every song she is in with her unique and powerful voice! Of course Michael Ball is reknowned for playing Marius and when listening to this it is easy to understand why!! However the small waif like figure of Lea Salonga as eponine steals the show! Although some of Eponines finest bits were cut from the show, what we get is brilliant!
Wonderfully recorded (LIVE MIGHT I ADD) i would reccomend this recording above all others! Never do we get a recording that included the créme de la créme from past productions taken from all over the world!
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2000
After watching this performance on video, I had to listen to the cd to see if it had the same effect. It did. Cameron Mackintosh certainly did choose the best people for each part. I love Lea Salonga's voice, it is so strong, she is brilliant in the part of Eponine - nobody is better. I don't think you could find a better singer to perform On My Own. Michael Ball gives a moving rendition of Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, he is well suited to the part of Marius. My favourite track on the album, and the best song of the musical has got to be One Day More, it is very powerful.The cd is well worth it's money - you get not only the voices - but the feeling of the musical. As I am only 16, I don't know many people my age who enjoy a lot of musicals, but I would certainly recommend this cd to anyone who was going to buy a Les Miserables recording.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 August 2007
Anyone who has seen Les Mis knows what a magical spell it throws on you once you have seen it. I was dragged there to watch it, and was spellbound. I was not lucky enough to see the original cast, and this album was a great opportunity to hear them.
Although the production could have been better (there is some hasty cut and pasting going on between songs!)the voices shine through. It does, though, lack the emotion of the actual proper musical itself, rather than the artists singing tracks alone.
Enjoy, but check out the show...its the real thing!
on 20 September 2000
This CD epitomises the international success of Les Miserables, probably one of the finest musicals in the world. The live concert manages to capture the spirit of the story, and the assembled cast are outstanding. Colm Wilkinson is a strong and brave Valjean, and Philip Quast outshines everyone with his portrayal of Javert. Everyone who loves Les Mis will love this, and the accompanying video only enhances the music. I'm already in the queue for tickets for the 20th anniversary concert!
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 February 2011
My mum introduced me to Les Miserables a few years ago and I have been in love with it ever since. The music is simply stunning and I have never been so moved in my life as I am when I hear it. After purchasing this product and listening to it I can honestly say that this is the greatest cast Les Miserables has ever had. Every single performer is perfect for the role they were playing and the acting also is second to none. The only thing that I disliked is that a significant portion of the show was cut but I'm sure that is down to timing issues. I thoroughly recommend this CD to any music fan as an absolutely magnificent listen and the highlight of the show for me was Philip Quast's brilliant performance as Javert, the purity and richness of his voice is enough to move anyone to tears. 5 stars all around!!