on 16 January 2000
After watching this performance on video, I had to listen to the cd to see if it had the same effect. It did. Cameron Mackintosh certainly did choose the best people for each part. I love Lea Salonga's voice, it is so strong, she is brilliant in the part of Eponine - nobody is better. I don't think you could find a better singer to perform On My Own. Michael Ball gives a moving rendition of Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, he is well suited to the part of Marius. My favourite track on the album, and the best song of the musical has got to be One Day More, it is very powerful.The cd is well worth it's money - you get not only the voices - but the feeling of the musical. As I am only 16, I don't know many people my age who enjoy a lot of musicals, but I would certainly recommend this cd to anyone who was going to buy a Les Miserables recording.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 September 2000
This CD epitomises the international success of Les Miserables, probably one of the finest musicals in the world. The live concert manages to capture the spirit of the story, and the assembled cast are outstanding. Colm Wilkinson is a strong and brave Valjean, and Philip Quast outshines everyone with his portrayal of Javert. Everyone who loves Les Mis will love this, and the accompanying video only enhances the music. I'm already in the queue for tickets for the 20th anniversary concert!
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 April 2016
As you may know there are 'many' recordings for Les Miserables (Yes, I'm also including different languages too).

So, why do I say this is the 'definitive' version.

Is the most complete nope (best choose the Symphonic Version), however, that doesn't include the new piece for the 25th Anniversary edition.

Quite simply, it's THE Cast (sorry if it's too simple). The Cast of the 10th Anniversary includes THE 'Jean Valjean' Colm Wilkinson, Philip Quast as Inspector Javert, Michael Ball as Marius Pontmercy (seriously, what happened to the 25th, no comment), Lea Salonga's powerful yet expressive performance as Éponine, Alun Armstrong as Thénardier and the irreplaceable Jenny Galloway as Madame Thénardier.

Would I say buy the CD, absolutely NOT unless you've bought the DVD. The DVD has an intimacy of the acting that obviously can't be recreated on a CD. So, am I now saying don't buy it? Well, newer recordings are cleaner (The Polish version is wonderful). That's not the point.

In my opinion, you need the DVD 'and' this CD to visualise the DVD (not because the vocals are bad what-so-ever) it's called the best of both worlds. You really can 'have your cake and eat it'.
on 17 November 2017
This has always been one of my favourite modern day musicals. I was a little disappointed in the original Barbican recording as it lacked the fullness of the sound of a full orchestra, however it is still very worthy of its place in the history of brilliant musicals, hence why I purchased the CD of the 10th which is enhanced by the use of a full orchestra. Pity the 25th is not available on CD as I have both the 10th & 25th Anniversary concerts on DVD.
on 8 January 2013
Not sure why this version of Les Mis is even on sale. Only offers a taster of the music and songs, not the whole lot. Bought it for a present for my dad who loves Les Mis, we are both really disappointed. Would not recommend this buy to anyone!!!
on 25 February 2017
I confess I've only listened to this on You Tube but it's now spoiled by ads, so I'm tempted to get the CD. I love this version , to the extent that other versions annoy me ! John Owen Jones - brill voice but in his version he over emphasises and over elaborated. Alfie Bo - yeah , ok , kinda . But Colm is THE Valjean in my opinion. Plus every member of the 10 th anniversary cast is simply awesome , it is majestic and fantabulous ! If u like Les Mis you have to listen to this it is ,well , IT !!
on 17 December 2016
The presentation led me to believe this purchase was a DVR plus a CD. It was instead a pair of CD.s The music was excellent
but I believe I was duped. I have seen the production DVR and thought this was what I was buying. Shame on you for not being more clear in your presentation of the product.
on 9 January 2018
Excellent album, great celebration of classic cast performances including the original and best Jean Valjean. Nice quality sound mix as well, great sound on headphones.
on 26 September 2016
It is a beautiful product, a complete recording of the 10th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables: The Musical that swept the world in the Albert Hall. Accompanied by a beautiful Souvenir Booklet that gives the history of the making of the musical, including a synopsis of the musical scene by scene.
on 14 May 2014
I have been dodging Les Mis for about half of my adult life. I intended to see the stage show for my 50th birthday in 2012 but failed to drop enough hints or organise it myself and it never happened.

I became aware that I knew a good number of the songs and liked them so I bought this cast recording and had the chance to listen to it all the way through on a 6 hour drive. Absolutely brilliant performances and added to rather than distracted from by the audience reaction.

Wonderful songs brilliantly performed.