Customer reviews

Techniques for top teaching
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 30 March 2015
Ok. Presentation poor and a bit overpriced for what you get.
on 30 June 2012
I downloaded this at I thought it would be useful to read more suggested teaching techniques (I am an NQT) but this seems to be more suggestions for starters / pelenaries / afl with a strong emphasis on key terms and vocabulary. But it does give instructions for how to run the activities and interesting variations. A lot of the ideas seem easy to incorporate (maybe into a powerpoint) and would be interesting and engaging for the students (and make a change from a wordsearch or a crossword). I'm already adding some to my lessons next week.

So to summarise - lots of good activities with explanations of how to run them, but a lot of word games.
on 26 September 2014
Unfortunately this book has no menu, index, groupings or any way of navigating the content. One would expect to see the techniques brought together in to key stages or age ranges. Possibly groupings of energy level or style of exercise might work too. Unfortunately the great ideas in this book are hidden and can only be accessed serially in the Kindle version. I expect the hard copy is a wonderful resource, as one could flick through and mark the styles yourself. To the authors: Please add some navigation tools, A table of contents at a minimum. Thanks.
on 24 June 2012
Great ideas, well explained with variations. Some old, some new, and some with a twist! Written in an easy to read format that you can just dip into. Well worth the small price.
on 24 June 2012
I expected this to be a compilation of age-old techniques that I would already know as an experienced teacher, but I couldn't have been more wrong. There are so many news ideas here that I couldn't believe how little I felt I knew! Some fantastic techniques that would make perfect starters and plenaries, and even end-of-unit assessment ideas for a whole range of subjects. A great little guide!
on 14 January 2013
This book doesn't try to put forward any fashionable theory about teaching or be any more than it is: it just provides 80+ kicking-off points to the teacher looking for a way to make his or her classes less formulaic and more engaging.
Depending on your subject and level, maybe a third of them won't be relevant; a third will be usable as described; and a third will unleash a whole string of ideas as you see how to adapt them to suit the needs of your students.
At less than a penny an idea, this HAS to be one of the best bargains on Amazon. Your students will thank you!
on 23 March 2013
A fab book which is useful to EVERY teacher-just starting to more experienced. It is better for Secondary/Further Ed teachers rather than Primary, in my opinion. Lots of ideas for starters and plenaries, some of which can be developed into main lesson activities. But I have used it mostly to write my Year 11 revision scheme of work to keep them engaged in the build up to their final exam.
on 25 June 2012
I have not had time to read all the way through this book but it looks like it will be a great resource for giving new ideas for starters and plenary sessions. It is easy to follow and the suggestions for how long the activities should take to prepare are really useful too.
on 24 February 2014
Wow what a find. The best teaching tip book I have read this year. Full of useful ideas to engage learners. Perfect for Humanities subjects History & Geography. Also transferable to English & RE. My students love the strategies. Thank you Mark Cowan.
on 29 September 2013
I honestly thought I'd heard every teaching technique going but this book has ideas I've never heard of. Well worth a read, especially if you teach English, Geography or History, but good ideas for all subjects.