on 4 August 2013
The story illustrates that they are many types of heroes regardless of sex or century or circumstances. It is a little bit on the lite-side but a very enjoyable read. One positive aspect of the story was that it identified the mannerisms of persons at that time. Maybe a little stereotyped however fairly accurate. I would like a second book.
on 8 May 2013
Originally downloaded this book for free and thought it might be a reasonably good but found it to be really badly written. If this author is going to write about life in England in previous centuries then she really needs to do her research. For a start make sure that the names of the characters are ones that are English not American. Secondly, if referring to books/plays then make sure that they were actually around during the period of time being written about. IN this story reference is made to a play being shown at the Adelphi theatre entitled 'The Enchanted Wood'. First of all, Enid Blyton who wrote that story wasn't around in the 1800's, she is a 20th century children's author and it wasn't a play!!!!! Gave up reading after that as was finding it really annoying dealing with poor research and use of language written how the author thinks English people speak!!!!!
on 23 March 2013
A good absorbing story as are the rest of her books,characters are bought to life really well, the only thing you have to excuse is the American names and way of life which do not sit well with the time this is set in England. This is an annoying feature throughout her books. All in all a good read though.
on 1 June 2013
I have read 11% so far and am so annoyed with the American dialogue, England does not measure distance between areas by blocks e.g. the park was 5 blocks away, we do not have attorneys either we have solicitors and only recently also started calling them lawyers and most definitely not in the late 19th century I should know as I've been in the legal profession more than 30 years. Not sure I am going to be able to finish the story, it would have made more sense if the story had been set in America.
on 29 May 2013
This was possibly the most badly written/researchd book I have ever read...however the storyline was so weak as to be transparent and the vision of London at that time, was so far from acurate, that it was ammusing..including the heroine listening to crickets whilst sitting in the garden, in the evening, in Berkely square!
on 8 June 2013
This is tough to rate because I enjoyed reading it while recognising its failures. The story is set in 19th century London, but it did not take very much reading to know that it was written by an American. It is an enjoyable story, reasonably well narrated with engaging characters. I truly wanted to know how it would pan out. It all pootles along nicely until you come up against a clanger of an error in language, as mentioned in other reviews. There are several and they are truly glaringly awful (my favourite, over which I lingered in incredulity was "uh-oh". In 19th century England? Slackness.). This sloppiness was bad enough for me to dock at least two stars from this book.

There was a strong Christian element to this story that was also somehow American in flavour. There were many moral musings that just didn't feel right coming from these Englishmen and women and reminded me of "Little House on the Prairie" style pep talks.

I give it three stars to be kind as I was engaged by the story; it was a good tale, but not a good piece of writing, which was a shame. Two to two and a half stars would be nearer the mark.
on 10 June 2013
Another lovely novel by Lawana Blackwell. She deals with issues of illegitimacy, social snobbery, the power of prayer, and good relationships. However, I was disappointed once again that she portrayed the Minister (Vicar) in such a bad light. She did this in "The Gresham Chronicles" where the Vicar seemed to lack common sense! There are so many Ministers who have had years of study and lead dedicated and busy lives, and I felt a little sad that in the novels I've read, the Vicars have been portrayed in a detrimental fashion. Otherwise a really good read which I would recommend.
on 20 January 2013
Another nice story, not as good as the Gresham chronicles in my opinion,but moving and interesting never the less
G
on 31 October 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the Gresham Chronicles by this author so actively looked for more novels written by her. This is easily as good, it really held my attention as I became more in involved with the characters. Definitely recommended if you like this type of gentle stories with a Christian ethos.
on 11 March 2014
I'm so glad I discovered this writer her stories although very much about how God can see you through life, weaves lovely story's. I have read three books she ha written and enjoyed every one. Very much