on 25 October 2010
this book is a fantastic read, i didn't know much about piers other than seeing his TV shows on ITV and thinking I like his sense of humor, his book did not disappoint and was a really interesting and honest insight into how he became, I was laughing at so many times during this read it was brilliant, a must have!
on 14 May 2007
Just sitting down to write this review makes me smile, I would advise readers not to read this book on the tube or in a public place as, embarrassingly they will find themselves frequently laughing out loud.!

Like Piers, first book, ' The Insider ' it is addictive reading, not only for the humour, but for the exposé of famous people, their foibles & also how it changes ones perception of some who are mentioned within. We all love to hear about success & here is a story of a man going through enormous life changes, ultimately proved right on what it was he was sacked from his job as editor for, his honest assessment of where he wanted to go from there, & his successful adjustment to a new life.

I suspect few would have known what a brilliant father he is too, I laughed so much at his eldest son's [ who has just started boarding school] explaination on why he had to sleep on the floor in a mates room.

I suspect the son is going to be like father, humour seems to run in the family.

My summary , It's a brilliant holiday read.
on 4 September 2007
Sometimes inciteful, sometimes dropping names as a `filler`. You can`t deny Piers` qualities - whether you like him or not. Back to the British roots of `saying it like it is`, it is a good book, but somehow feels like it`s missing something - substance.
on 25 February 2010
Okay, not outstanding. Might read his first book now. I think the first one might be better than this one.
You follow Piers from being fired as an Editor and to the end of his first season on the talent show in the US.
on 4 August 2009
First book whilst he was still an editor has more juice in it. This was written since he was fired from The Mirror. Better than the American book which followed. A good read if you want a light hearted beach book.
on 16 May 2008
This man's brave anti Iraq war stories as Editor of The Mirror should not be underestimated. A much misunderstood man.

Paul Wellings author of 'I'm a journalist...get me out of here'
on 31 July 2013
I have read other Piers Morgan books, just what I expected and loved it! Just checking the list to see if there are any others I have not read yet...
on 2 May 2008
Piers is ace. The guy often embarrasses himself in front of people who he clearly reveres in almost a starstruck little boy way, and then over-compensates with his 'Oh it's all so normal, they're just normal people, look, I take the p*ss out of Tony' type tirades. When all along, he just SO wants everyone to like him.

He practically screams out with insecurity, it must be leeching out of his pores when he's actually in the presence of the glitterati. Especially the royals for some reason. You can STILL hear his little-boy excitement through the text, even in this second version of his 'memoirs'.

I love both the books, I think they're hilarious. Completely cringe-worthy and a truly fascinating insight into a not-particularly-bright man, who can't believe his utter bloody luck to be hanging out with his cricketing heroes (his eulogies on Botham are particularly vomit-inducing) or bravely being a little bit rude to Cherie Blair.

I disagree with the reviewers who think Morgan 'can laugh at himself'. He's just exercising the self-deprecating 'trick' he over-excitedly explains in his second book about public speaking - to laugh at himself publically before anyone else can get in there. It's total self-defence and extremely transparent.

Which makes it all the funnier when he's 'choosing' which career to pursue. Should it be political commentator? Or maybe an investigative journalist? Or perhaps a TV presenter (despite the fact that he seems to die on his arse every single time I see him on TV)? His skills are just endless, his self-adoration insurmountable, and his lack of self-awareness priceless.

By the way, he makes his kids sound truly horrendous, spoiled little brats. I hope they're not as their doting daddy describes.

Oh, and his utter disbelieving glee when he manages to pull Celia Walden almost made me feel a little bit sorry for him. Bless!
on 9 April 2010
I am finding this an excellant book. I like Piers Morgan's use of words.
He says it like it is.

Will read more of his books
on 16 December 2012
have read all his books except this one, arrived on time, little bit tatty but as only for me to read doesnt matter