1,070

I can't fault the charger, and as everyone knows don't buy third party chargers from dubious sources!
They may explode, overheat or worse, not work from day one and destroy the device you are charging. I have already been on the receiving end of a fake camera battery.

My main gripe is that I had to buy this as an accessory for my daughters new 3DS XL, and that it didn't come supplied with one. Yes the box contained a cable that you could use to charge the device from a USB port BUT this can take ages.

My wife passed on her impatient gene on to my daughter, so for a quiet life I bought this.
on 24 October 2012
A few days ago I purchased a Nintendo 3DS XL from Amazon for my wife's birthday to replace her ageing, battered old DS Lite. She was very pleased with it, but after using it for a few hours it needed re-charging and it was then that I realised Nintendo hadn't included a charger. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, when she was unwrapping it.

It is absolutely appalling that Nintendo are pulling this con-trick! After all, once the 3DS battery has run down there is no way of charging it without this charger. It wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to charge it from a computer using a usb cable, but no, this is a blatant scam by Nintendo to get more money from their customers.

I've given the charger 5 stars as it does do what it should and the service from Amazon was excellent as usual, but I completely disagree with the way in which Nintendo are selling their hand held consoles without chargers and I hope they get lots of stick for it.
2323 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2013
I was disapointed at Christmas to recieve a Nintendo 3DS Xl to find that it didn't come with a charger! How annoying. So yeah this charger works a dream, just a shame it didn't come with the console in the first place!
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2012
No faults - works just as well as the one that came with my 3ds. All you do is plug it in to the back or plug it into the cradle.
on 8 March 2013
Does what it says on the case, my only dissapointment is you don't get one supplied with the console, surely Nintendo have earn't enough profit!
This AC adapter is a necessity for anyone who has purchased the Nintendo 3DS XL - Yoshi Edition which does not come with a charger. I have a more up-to-date version which is also compatible with the "New" 3DS-XL but it is not listed here on Amazon. There are cheaper generic alternatives but I don't feel safe unless it's a legit Nintendo product that I'm plugging into my DS so this one (and its successor) is the only way to go.
on 30 June 2016
Terrible product, just arrived. Packaging in mint condition which I find suspicious as the actual product looks like it's been mawled by an animal. Can't use due to danger of exposed wiring and is intended for a 5 year old for use with DS! Also I paid £12.99 in total with next day delivery what an absolute waste of money.
review image review image review image review image
Beautiful bit of kit, I purposefully paid £60 more than what an XL costs at the moment just for this design and I'm bloody glad I did! It's absolutely stunning and well worth paying the extra, I knew I wouldn't be happy with any other design after I saw this one. Pictures don't do it justice to be honest!
on 16 November 2015
The product itself works great, it is the official charger and charges both a 2DS and the new 3DS XL with no issues.

It takes about 2-3h to charge the 3DS XL from critical to full.

It loses 2 stars for the versatility, practicality and for not being eco-friendly. What I mean by this is that it is not interchangeable with say you mobile phone charger so basically you need to carry around at least 2 separate chargers while there is no reason in the world why you couldn't go with 1, this also causes more waste as you can't reuse a standard charger everyone already has at home.

It is also quite bulky compared to phone chargers which are more powerful.

There really should be no need for this item, I see no reason in the world why the DS devices couldn't use the standard micro/mini usb ports and standard chargers and I see this item as an attempt by Nintendo to squeeze some more cash from its users masked as an attempt to be eco-friendly, in the sense that you don't end up with 4 chargers if you buy a new console every year but if they really wanted to be eco-friendly they could have just put a micro usb port on the device to start with.
on 5 October 2012
This power adapter works fine. It is almost identical to my old 3DS plug, a grey plastic three pin plug with a grey cord that slots into your 3DS XL. WAIT a second, I think it is identical!! The only difference is my 3DS plug came free and I had to pay for this one on top of paying for my 3DS XL!! For THAT reason I cannot justify giving this plug 5 stars. So if Nintendo are listening please take note and don't make us pay extra for things that should come with the console. If this catches on soon they will start selling Iphones without chargers and flat screens without the mains. But nintendo PLEASE don't be mad at me because I have over the years spent thousands and thousands of pounds on all your consoles and games and I still love you (just about).
1010 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse