on 31 March 2017
This is the second book I read of Lisa Gadner and I have already become a completely fan of her crime novels.
Detectives D.D. Warren and Bobby Dodge are again involved in a case, this time, a bit hard to solve.
The plot starts focusing on the Granger family living on the run. Different cities, different names each time. Not even the main character and one of the voices of the novel, Annabelle Granger, knows what is going on.
It's through investigation that we start joining the clues and traces in order to build the story and build Annabelle's own entire life.
The story involves stalking, secrets, misleading and intertwined stories that link the case in such a clever way, murders, fear, mystery and many characters whose backgrounds are gonna be essential for the investigation.
The whole story is written in such a way that makes the novel exciting dragging you completely into the role of becoming a detective trying to look for the real unsub.
The end is well built showing us an unexpected resolution in Annabelle's life.
Amazing I would say. I really enjoyed reading this novel and I love shocking ends. Totally recommended!!
on 6 November 2016
I very much enjoyed this book, and it is my usual genre of story. These types of books can quickly get 'samey' but this was story was told through not only the detective's eyes but through the 'victim' though you don't get to know why until the last couple of chapters. I didn't see the ending - my deduction was way off mark, thankfully. I hate easy endings!
I had already read the first book about DD and Bobby and hadn't realised the link when I bought this one as I'd read 3 or 4 books in the mean time but, though it's always helpful to already know the foundation of the character's it's not integral to enjoying this follow up.
This author is now on my 'readable' list :)
on 14 August 2013
Agonisingly inward looking. All about the feelings of solicitor dragged into defending a 'minor' in a murder case and the effect it has on his relationships with those around him. I read the book to the end with some difficulty.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 March 2013
I accidentally stumbled across this author after reading every book written by another female author, and thought I would have a job finding someone who would come close, but am happy to say I am a massive fan of Lisa Gardner, and even though I read books in wrong order it didn't matter, I love the character D D WArren , and have read everyone, once started I can't put the book down:) so I definitely recommend them, and now I am starting on her other books and hopefully the characters draw you in again, brilliant , and I live in the UK so I love reading how clever and dedicated these officers are, and just the right amount of humour when it is needed on real tough cases, as obviously the author has to get it right, I am totally addicted and only once were my suspicions right on the killer as usually you never see it coming with the twists and turns
on 11 September 2016
I thought this was a brilliant read until almost the end. Still a brilliant read though..........then I realised that the red herrings were so well-written, that they don't even appear to be a red herring. Right until the last chapter when in fact, two characters come together in quite the most implausible set of circumstances !! Oh it's you, oh it's you........And yes, lots of the other pages are mainly fillers - but still written so well the reader thinks it's an integral part of the plot. Quite why one such story involved a family bringing in financial paperwork and detailed files was beyond me......But a good tale nevertheless.
on 7 January 2014
I was given this book. As i have never heard of this author i put it in my pile to be read. What a mistake to make. I started reading this book about 18.30 last evening and did not put it down until i had finished it at 3am the next morning except to make a coffee. Unbelievably brilliant. I just could not put it down. One more chapter then bed i'd say, but not could not put it down til i had finished. I have never done this before with any other book, so that says a lot about this book. The characters are real, believable and you feel like you know them, right from the start i was gripped with this fast no messing with red herrings book. My favourite Authors are Dean Koontz & Patricia Cornwell, so you can tell the type of book this is to have gripped me. I intend to read a lot more from Lisa Gardner and if they are as good as 'Hide' then she is going to be added to my list of favourite authors along with Dean & Patricia. Well done Lisa Gardner & Thank You.
on 11 August 2013
There are two strands to this book. At one level it is a police procedural with a team of detectives investigating a horrific crime from the past. However it is also a personal account of Annabelle, a woman whose life has been bound up with the events. I won't reveal more because one of the many good things about this book is the way that the author provides information at well-judged intervals, enough to keep us intrigued but not enough to spoil the plot. It's also very well-written with convincing dialogue and Annabelle's story is particularly poignant. The reason I couldn't stretch to five stars was the ending which was a bit disappointing. Most of the really interesting mysteries had been solved before then and (again avoiding spoilers) the frantic action wasn't at all convincing.
on 10 August 2013
I started reading this on holiday and ended up taking it everywhere till I finished it! I even cycled ahead of everyone so I could stop at a tree stump to read more, I just didn't feel that I could leave my characters hanging - I had to read to get them to safety. I read lots of psychological thrillers but this was amongst the best, reminiscent of Lynda La Plante at her best. I had to down load another as soon as I had finished! If you like a fast moving, suspense filled, sometimes gruesome, 3D character read, then this is it.
on 19 August 2013
When I started to read this book I was not sure I would stick with it. However, I am glad that I did. The characters were believable, the story was interesting and there were many surprises along the way. The last half of the book was very good and it maintained my interest right to the end. Indeed, I found myself reading for longer periods than I usually do. The only slight criticism is regarding the over use of American phrases and the occasional American acronym, which left me guessing what was meant. However, on the whole I would recommend it.
on 8 July 2016
This was my first time of reading this author and I have to say it will not be my last. This book had me hooked from the start. I love how it kept me guessing all the way to the end and I still didn't figure it out. Great characters and storyline. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.