Customer reviews

50 Real Ghost Stories
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 2 October 2017
Mediocre subject material. The most obvious negative characteristic of this book has simply got to be the complete lack of pre-publication editing. Grammatical mistakes and flawed punctuation throughout make for a very impoverished reading experience.
on 2 March 2017
a another great book to read arrived on time from seller
on 12 January 2015
Bought for son for Christmas.he loved it...
on 4 January 2014
Few interesting stories. Worth a quid. Little bit low on details but still slept with the lamp on. Will buy the second edition
on 16 August 2017
I have amassed a considerable library of the paranormal and the occult over the past 35 years and I have to say this small book is among my favourites. I read it in an hour then read it all again. I love the fact that that Mr Wayland keeps a respectable distance and let's the stories speak for themselves. . the stories are eyewitness accounts and there are no attempts to sensationalize or convince the reader. Five stories stand out for me and one in particular managed to stir up one of my own experiences as a child .. 'The nightmare lady'... along with ' Another road ghost ' , 'The ghost car' and the utterly chilling 'The Russian ghost ' and finally the poignant 'The mystery lady'. I'm just about to tuck into the 2nd volume... I'll let you know my thoughts on that when I open the curtains tomorrow. ... highly recommended.
on 30 October 2016
I'm not going to be pedantic and go into detail about the spelling and grammar aspect. Other reviewers have done that. It wasn't that annoying to me. What I will state is the stories were spooky enough. I thought the train station tale was particularly good. Yep. I Liked this.
on 16 January 2014
i bought htis book for my friend as he is very interested in ghost stories, he rang me recently and said he enjoyed the book and all the different tales, some he had read before and some he had not, coming from a critical scotsman this is a positive.
on 4 June 2014
The stories are quite short and not too well written. To me this seems to reinforce their authenticity. Certainly the stories I myself have heard first hand would be very brief if I wrote them down. I wouldn't be able to elaborate too much on the circumstances - I only know what I have been told and it would be wrong to embellish just to pad them out. I'm assuming MJ Wayland is of a similar mind. The book is very thin, but there are a lot of stories in it and some are kind of unnerving. I'm not one for reading it at bedtime.
on 6 November 2012
What a disappointing book this was !!! In the book's foreword the author warns the reader that:

"The stories that I have collected for you now are rough diamonds, totally unpolished and any additions by myself are kept to a minimum and noted clearly"

What the author fails to tell the reader, however, is that these "rough diamonds" are accounts clearly written by the eye-witnesses themselves and they are littered with numerous typographical errors, spelling & punctuation mistakes and other assorted grammatical curiosities e.g. paragraphs that meander along with no punctuation marks whatsoever and which even lack the final full stop. This was incredibly irritating and I found myself mentally "totting up" all the errors as I was reading the stories rather than focusing on the actual stories themselves.

It seems obvious to me that the author has assembled a load of e-mails sent to him by the witnesses, lumped them together...without even reading them...added a short foreword and titles for each story and then called it a book.

Well, a book it might be but precious little of it seems to have been written by M. J. Wayland and to call him the "author" is perhaps giving him a status he doesn't really deserve for this effort.

There is another major flaw with this book...

According to the foreword, not one of the 50 eye-witnesses wanted to be identified and none of them are. This guarantee of anonymity (given by the author to the eye-witnesses)is, however, taken to the extreme in that it is actually impossible to identify(in a few of the stories)whether the writer (the actual eye-witness)is male or female. To solve that particular problem the author could have employed false names at the end of each account e.g John from Glasgow and, had he done so, the reader would have known the gender of the eye-witness and had some geographical reference point for the story itself.

This commitment to absolute anonymity inevitably calls into question the veracity of the accounts. Are they genuine? As someone who has experienced the paranormal, I'd like to think so but you only have the word of the author that they are.

Did he interview these 50 witnesses to form a view as to their credibility? If he did, he could have prefaced each story with a brief "pen picture" of the witness and his impressions as to the witnesses credibility as he/she told the tale. If he didn't interview them, however, how on earth can the reader hope to reach an informed and balanced judgement on the veracity of the stories presented? For all I know every single story could simply be the product of the author's own vivid imagination or have been "lifted" by the author from other anthologies of true ghost stories....and that's the real disappointment of this book.

The author has simply presented 50 anonymous stories...littered with mistakes...and told the reader to take his word for it that they are all true. That simply isn't good enough.

There are much better anthologies of true ghost stories available e.g. Peter Underwood's masterpiece entitled "A Gazetteer of British Ghosts". I would urge anyone with an interest in ghosts and hauntings to read that book to see how such an anthology should be put together. This book doesn't come close to the high standard set by that particular gentleman.

Even though this book cost less than £2.00 to download to my Kindle, I cannot recommend it. Sorry
33 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2012
50 Real Ghost Stories is a terrifying book of real-life meetings and encounters with the supernatural told directly by real life witnesses. I really loved this ebook and it's ideal for anyone who, like me, loves horror movies. It is a classic collection of some of the weirdest, strangest and spookiest stories that M.J. Wayland has uncovered over the last 3 decades of keen investigation.

The stories are all different and include experiences in an old London pub, the ghost of St. Albans, The Glasgow ghost, mysterious happenings in hotels, sea captain's house, the North Yorkshire ghost and many more that everyone will truly enjoy. Moreover, it tells experiences of those people who live in haunted houses.

The 50 Real Ghost Stories by MJ Wayland is very well-written in an easy-to-read manner for any reader's satisfaction. It maintains original testaments as well as facts by individuals witnessed the ghosts themselves.