Customer reviews

on 30 October 2012
Borrowed Ember: As good as the first 2 books in the series and I am dreading reading the fourth as it is all coming to and end and I know that I will miss these books and these characters for a very long time after.

Ari is determined to be a hunter and not the weak prey she has been in the other books. She learns more about herself and what she is capable of, but like everything there is a light and a dark, a good and an evil and her powers are no different.

Having the power of the Seal of Solomon and the ability to command all Jinn comes with high prices and responibility and Ari tries her best not to use it unless she has to, but something dark inside her whispers in her head to take control of everyone, everything. This powerful voice comes when she feels threatened, when those around her are hurt and Ari must control it before it controls her.

Jai comes to life in this book as well. He admits his love for Ari, though it is hard for him as he was abused when he was younger, felt unloved by his father and beaten mercilessly by his family and tribe on many occasions, blamed for something his mother did. It has taken him a long time to accept his emotions and the author does it very well, showing us his anguish easing over time all because Ari loves him unconditionally. Charlie is still hell bent on his revenge and vows to kill the jinn who murdered his younger brother, even if it means pushing away those he loves and maybe getting killed in the process. This boy, who was once addicted to drugs, alcahol and easy girls is now addicted to the power of his magic. It consumes eveything, even though he thinks that Ari is his true love, he cant seem to put her first and finds himself in a whole lot of trouble towards the end of this book. Even when he meets the new girl Fallon, who he grows to care about, he still cant seem to push away his addictions.

One of the little treasures in this book is the addition of Trey who was only touched upon in the other books. His loyalty to Jai is endearing, his own set of problems makes your heart ache for him. Being gay in his life is difficult, keeping the secret is becoming harder and it would kill his dad to find out. Trey, although we have not seen the world from his POV, is yet another character I care about in this series.

The ending was fantastic and it keeps you needing more, wanting to know what will happen because the author has a great way of leaving nail biting cliff hangers and this one is no different!! I have to read the next book, I have to find out what happens to Charlie, Ari and Jai, even if it means the series is coming to an end...(
on 17 April 2013
This book ends on such a cliff hanger.

I'm glad that Jai and Ari are finally together and that they are taking things slowly, too many of the characters in young adult books seem to move really quickly.

I am really warming to Red, no that i didn't not like him before. I also like that we are seeing more of the other seven Jinn Kings and more so of Glass. I definitely see a relationship between him and Trey in the works.

Poor Ari hasn't really had the best luck since she turned eighteen. Considering how much has happened, she is holding together well, maybe she needs a little nervous breakdown like the rest of us would have if we were put in her position.

I greatly look forward to finding what happens next in this saga.
on 26 March 2013
i absolutely love all the work that s young produces and this was no exception.l didnt stop reading until i finished. wow the complications and feelings and elations are captured effortlessly and you feel in tune with the character all the way. i adored the way the story was set out i cannot praise s young unique and gifted prose and way of sucking you in. it was absolutley rocking. constantly checking for the latest creation of this authors and long may it continue.my only cmplaint is i have so many ongoing stories in my head i have to read the origonal books to get back into the zone.
on 26 July 2012
I have loved this entire series, Ari is a great character and I want a Jai!!
I read a lot and normally choose books that are light enough to pick up and put down depending on the demands of the family and the time available to read, this had me leaning against things with my kindle and multi-tasking like a mad woman!!! I really cared what happened next!
I have read lots of Samantha Young and recommend this along with her other books!
on 19 September 2013
Very exciting books, holds me so I cannot put them down, and cannot wait for the next book to arrive
on 19 March 2013
Real page turner, fabulous writing, head and shoulders above twilight and others of that ilk. Excellent characters, great story line. Buy it!
on 16 January 2015
Very easy read
on 23 February 2013
Absolutely loving this series so far however it says in the back that the next book was out the end of last year but can't find it anywhere (gutted).
on 7 July 2012
Absolutely brilliant! This book answers all those questions you had in the previous books. Jai makes some life changing decisions. Ari tries not to let the Seal change her. Charlie starts to truely love again..... but you really need to read to find out!
on 20 August 2013
Great book, storyline continues from the previous book lots of action and lots of questions answered. Nice to see Mum even though she died and Red finally acknowledges his feelings to Ari. Sorry to see some characters go but glad Luca finally manned up about Jai. There is still some mystery with the Jinn Kings and who is really going to win