on 1 October 2013
I have Lower Back Muscular problems.
Been for an MRI scan and shown that this is purely a muscular issue - muscles going into spasm.
I have Chiropractic treatment on lower back too so have some experience of what this feels like getting professional treatment.
I didn't go for a lesser device because I wanted something that I believed would do the job - a powerful, mains, controllable seat cover that would give me some serious muscular manipulation. As the same time I didn't want to have my pants pulled down over the price. After much deliberation I plumped for this one - I made the right choice.

The Shiatsu is exactly like somebody manipulating your muscles with their strong fingers, only arguably more smoothly.

I had my doubts as to whether this would go low down enough into my lumbar spine to reach the deepest painful muscular parts that had gone into spasm - It does.

It will work your entire back or you can tell it to stop when it reached the top of the height you wish it to massage, and send it back down your spine again - Perfect.

Send it into simple roll mode and you can also dictate the width that the pair of balls are apart so you can be sure to hit the spot exactly where you want it to.

Add into the equation that there is also the spot massage function where you can stop it at one exact spot to focus on. Deep massage joy! How could it get any better I thought? How about if I could move it just a teeny bit up from where I've stopped it on my back. Yup - it does that too.

I wasn't sure whether I'd use the heat option but the first time I did just sent me off the planet.

You will not be disappointed with this product.

2 year warranty, not too noisy for the office which i was worried about. Reaches positively everywhere from lowest lumbar to shoulders. Easy to understand remote.

I've never really written much of a review before but i hope this helps a future purchaser.
I wholly recommend this product.

Rob.
on 5 May 2015
I've enjoyed this more than I expected. I have periodic mostly minor back problems. I think it has made them quite a bit better; difficult to tell as the problems came and went anyway. I certainly enjoy using it. Others are quite keen too.

I don't rate the vibration much, one friend really likes it. Haven't tried the heat; might come into its own next winter?

I do use the different rolling and shiatsu modes; usually rolling to loosen up, rolling with the rollers set on close to straighten my back, a couple of rounds of shiatsu (with hold at low back and at shoulders), and a final roller to prepare me for getting up again.

I would prefer it to have a sightly longer travel (I'm 5' 10"). I can get it do do very low back and shoulders by adjusting it a little up and down.

~~~ added later
Just come back from holiday in Scotland with lots of walking/light climbing. Took the seat (it sat nicely on the back ledge over the boot so didn't really take much space) and it was VERY welcome after some of the walks. Also used it to massage legs, lying on the floor with the leg along where the back is meant to go.

One friend who was there and has back issues. She is normally very skeptical about such gadgets but was very keen.

~~~ two years later
Still excellent. We don't use it very regularly but very welcome when we do. It does make a funny noise at certain parts of the non-shiatsu massage now.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2017
This is an amazing product.
I suffer from back pain and this product helps in relaxing the back muscles and provides immediate relief.
It is user friendly, compact and light weight.
It offers a variety of massaging options which can be selected according to your requirement.

If you find this review useful, please click on the 'yes' button below.
on 4 September 2017
Excellent!
on 1 June 2017
Great after work relaxer
on 28 December 2014
Brilliant if you like it hard
on 23 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I previously had the HoMedics SBM-500HA-3GB 2-in-1 Back and Shoulders Massager Cushion with Heat http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/guidelines/product-links.html[[ASIN:B001ESK8EA HoMedics SBM-500HA-3GB 2-in-1 Back and Shoulders Massager Cushion with Heat] which I bought a couple of years ago as I love massage chairs and that was a really affordable version which doesn't take up much space.
This Technogel massage chair is generally very good, it differs in the other one in that the upholstery is softe]r and the power of massage on the shiatsu and rolling is a little gentler.
It has very similar settings however where it lacks slightly compared to the other model, is that it doesn't provide full shoulder and adjustable height for shoulder massage which is a pity. I particularly like this, but then I guess everyone has their own preferences, and the SBM-500HA model allows you to turn on and off the shoulder settings so thereby gives a bit more control.
Where it appears to be an improvement is the more "lifelike" massage sensation because it is softer and has a slightly different rolling pattern. It also has the optional vibration setting which does give added benefit however at the cost of being quite noisy which may annoy those of you that want a quiet massage.
All in all a lovely item, and I do feel quite relaxed having used it - you can also put these "chairs" flat on the floor and massage calves with them (although not really advised in the booklet) but good for those who run and cycle a lot.
Only drops a star on the less control/less shoulder massaging capability. It is prettier than its predecessors though!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Getting on a bit in years and like most old codgers I suffer from back pain after gardening, golf etc. etc,. This just could be the solution as after a few days of 15 minute sessions I really do feel good. As soon as I unpacked it ,I knew that it was a quality product: solid and well upholstered. It gives a strong yet comforting massage and with the heat option on it is pure relaxing bliss.
The SHIATSU and ROLLING variations are both effective and I suppose down to individual preference . There is the full back, upper or lower back area options with the addition of a gentle vibration if selected. A particular aspect I like is the target button allowing it to concentrate on any one particular spot in mid massage. There are further adjustments for speed and very importantly width. Lets face it we are all different shapes and sizes and not all as athletically striking as this old guy.
I found that to place the supplied extra "blanket" between me and the back cushion gave an even more comfortable feel and my wife who is not quite as "padded" as I am really did prefer this little bit of extra comfort.
Offered by AMAZON at a very keen price it must be a good buy for a quality product.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have actually owned two previous Homedics massage chairs and this one is the best so far. The chair offers a "rolling massage" which essentially feels like someone is pushing their hands in one motion up and down your back firmly. It also offers a "shiatsu" massage, which feels like someone is moving their hands and fingers around in a circle as well as up and down. The massage can be the full length of the back, concentrated on the top or bottom, or locked in one position for a 'spot massage'. As someone who suffers from regular lower back pain, this latter control is very useful as you can just have the massage on the exact spot that is causing you trouble. Heat is available, though I have found this can get a little too hot after a while and so you may need to use a towel behind your back with the heat option (in fact a towel behind your back may be something you want to try anyway, as it makes the shiatsu massage a bit less firm for those who find it harsh). This chair has some features that cheaper models do not:- you can adjust the width of thr massage to suit your body size/shape and you can set the top height of the massage to suit your body height. In addition, the back of the massage chair extends a bit taller than some of the lower priced Homedics models, so it can really get up to the top of your shoulders, which is good. The chair is supposed to sport the latest "gel" technology and in theory this makes the massage even more realistic - but to be honest, having compared it with two cheaper Homedics models, while I like the added features I wouldn't say that this gel technology makes the feel of thr massage that different - maybe a bit more refined/gentle, but not more realistic. The chair also offers three massager speeds, but I find that the feault first setting is the best, so the benefits of this speed control are debatable. Similarly, the chair offers a vibrate option but this seems to add little to the massage experience and if anything, is irritating, so it seems to me to be a bit of an unneccessary gimick.

As others have stated, Homedics massage chairs seem to be solidly built and they come with a two year warranty, which is good. I strongly recommend using the chair on a straight backed hard chair like a dining chair - I have tried it on an office chair and on a sofa and while it obviously works, you only really get the full effect on a hard, straight-backed dining chair that ensures all parts of your back are making contact with the massage chair. As I said above, it the massage feels a bit hard, then try a towel behind your back.

Ultimately, if used properly I think this chair is pretty good - it's not as good as a real massage by a pro, but it's nea1rly sa good, andultimately, much cheaper and more convenient. It certainly helps with my lower back problems. If you are quite tall then check out this and other models in the range that have higher backs - it's worth the extra money.
on 14 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always been a bit sceptical of these massage devices, but I have to say that I'm convinced with this one. It gives a very 'real' massage, genuinely feeling like someone is doing the work rather than a machine. It's very adjustable, with the ability to focus on one spot, or if you're shorter you can stop it rolling off your back and into fresh air.

It feels solidly made and never feels like you might break it when it's in action. It's fairly quiet, though there is a buzzing/humming sort of noise as it works. It won't interfere with your TV watching though, it's quite unobtrusive.

The only downside really is it's a bit ugly, and a bit big. It's rather hard to know where to store it.