on 21 October 2012
Here's all you need to know:

Expensive? yes
Worth it? yes!

+ Stunning picture quality
+ Wide colour gamut
+ Minimal calibration needed
+ No banding on dark colours
+ One of the nicest designs I've seen in a monitor for a while, very high build quality.
+ Height/angle adjustment very versatile
+ Viewing angles great
+ No back-light issues such as those seen on the previous generation Samsung monitors.

- Slightly too glossy finish means it becomes a mirror on dark screens
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2014
I actually got 4 of these in total before I settled on one.

The first I received was scratched so that went straight back.

The second and third I actually bought from another retailer as the price was much cheaper, both of these had large fragments of dust between the glass and the panel. So unfortunately they went back too.

The last one I got was just right. It is a truly beautiful screen, yes there is some glare as with most non mat monitors but connected to my macbook pro or ultrabook, it actually makes me want to work.

So if you do get one of these just be carful and check the panel before you turn it on to see if you spot any dust behind the glass.
on 23 November 2012
I recently went ahead after a lot of research and went across and bought this monitor. I have to say I am quite pleased with my decision thus far.

PACKAGING
======================
The product arrived perfectly packaged as always from Amazon.co.uk. The box was easy to carry and nicely packaged from Samsung as well. The monitor was neatly kept inside with all the accessories included, I'll go into detail with what was included in just a bit.

BOX CONTENTS
======================

The monitor came with a nice little small box which contained the USB upstream cable to be connected with the PC so you can use the built in hub. A MHL HDMI cable to use with your android phone that supports that feature. A DVI cable, Display Port, along with the Power-brick and power cord. I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of the cables required were supplied. However, the HDMI cable is not included in case you require one. I also noted that the monitor does not work at 2560x1440 (max resolution) with the HDMI cable but had no trouble going to that resolution with the bundled Display Port cable.

First Impressions
======================

To sum it up, this has to be one of the most beautiful monitors I have seen other than the Apple CInema Display/Thunderbolt which sadly don't work with my PC and I still prefer the PLS panel this monitor has. All in all the monitor features an industrial design, a beautiful panel, jaw dropping vivid colours, and excellent aesthetics thanks to the stand which features height adjustment. The touch based controls on the bottom of the monitor are a joy to use, easy to use OSD, and high quality materials all add up to the monitor.

I have this monitor connected to my gaming rig and every game runs perfectly that I have played. From Skyrim to World of Warcraft, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Dishonored, Black Ops 2 etc. The monitor has no lag that I have come across, the colours and picture quality are just astounding.

======================
Conclusion
======================

I heartily recommend this QHD (Quad High Definition) monitor to anyone who wants the very best picture quality albeit at a price. There are cheaper alternatives such as the new ASUS PQ27 QHD monitor which are slightly cheaper but don't look as nice. The 2560x1440 resolution will require some graphical grunt to run to get acceptable frames on the native resolution in which case I'd recommend making sure you have what it takes to run games at that resolution.

Pros:

+PLS Panel, extremely wide viewing angle
+Beautiful Industrial Design
+Integrated USB 2.0 Hub (even though a 3.0 Hub would have been really nice)
+Very good built in speakers
+2560x1440 resolution just brings out the details
+3 Years Warranty on Parts and Labor
+Excellent touch controls and OSD
+All the connectivity you would need in a monitor

Cons:

-Price
-Slightly reflective

All in all I am very happy with my purchase and heartedly recommend this monitor to anyone that needs one of the best semi professional displays in the market.

PC specs:

i7 3770k OC'ed to 4.5GHz
16gb Corsair 1600Mhz Ram
256GB Samsung 840 Pro series
2tb Western Digital Black 7200 rpm drive
Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Fata1ity
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+ 2048mb in SLi
Corsair AX 850 Professional Series PSU
66 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2013
Most expensive mirror I have ever paid for.
At night this monitor is fantastic but any light in the room you're working in and all you will see is you. I have an AOC 23" sat at the side of this Samsung and it is totally mat. Looks like im going to have to buy some blackout blinds to use this monitor.
on 26 July 2013
This is a fantastic screen! I'm used to using 2 screens but due to a space limitation I needed one. The resolution of this screen is incredible and I can have multiple windows open when multi-tasking without losing detail. Others have criticised the shinny screen but I'm using it with a window behind me and angling the screen only a few degrees minimises the problem and after working with it for a while I didn't notice a problem.

You can buy much cheaper monitors but if you are looking for a high quality monitor and can justify the expense, you'd be very happy with this monitor.
on 14 December 2013
Samsung produces a high quality monitor! with 2560x1440 resolution ! Stunning performance! Although costly, it is worth to purchase if you have a special appropriation in High quality of graphic~ :)
on 8 June 2014
I own a Mid 2011 27-inch iMac, which I had been using with a 22-inch Samsung second monitor since purchase (my work in user experience design of websites practically forces me to use a second screen).

However, I have longed for a second 27-inch monitor virtually since purchasing my iMac, but I wanted either an Apple 27-inch or something of similar quality and characteristics. Either way, I always baulked at the cost - around £900 for the Apple display.

So, when I saw the Samsung S27B970 27 inch on sale on Amazon I researched and researched, and liked what I read. It was still a bit of a gamble purchasing one, but I'm glad I did. This monitor works perfectly with my iMac, and its performance is simply sensational. I'd go as far to say that - judging the display alone - it's better than the Apple equivalent. The fact that it's stand is entirely adjustable even gives the whole package the edge in my view.

Just remember - you'll need to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (I bought this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XVYZ82) to connect it to your iMac - the Samsung display comes with a plethora of cables, but not this one, sadly, surely an omission when you consider how many iMac users will be tempted to buy this monitor. But, that's a very small point - overall, I couldn't be more delighted with this purchase.
on 17 December 2012
expensive but well worth it for picture quality,
HDMI input will not run at max resolution, without which you lose the very good audio output.
The 2560 x 1440 resolution is essential if working on several programs at once .
Auto colour adjust is great. Stand and height adjustment looks and is quality.
on 15 June 2013
I did quite a lot of research before ordering my Samsung S27B970 Monitor; at that price I wanted to be sure.
The main contender was the 27" Apple Cinema Display, as it is such a nice monitor, although horribly expensive.
Most forums were indicating there might be compatibility issue between the Graphics Card on my PC and the Apple monitor, due to the Diplay Port issues. I got fed up wondering whether things would work or not.
Therefore, I decided to go for the Samsung. Delivered in a few days. Excellent Amazon service.
The picture quality is as good as, if not better than the Apple. Simply excellent!
The build is very good: it has a strong feel. A well made product without a doubt.
Everything you may have read about the "glossy" screen is true: if you don't like glossy screens, then go for another model. Personally, it does not bother me at all, even in normal bright conditions, as it is not as bad as people say.
The screen/display/picture quality are simply superb. So much superior to the matt finish of other monitors.
If you love the 27" Apple Cinema Display monitor, and would like something just as good, fully DVI compatible, and cheaper, then this is the right monitor.
on 7 June 2013
I bought this monitor as I needed a professional grade display and it looks amazing, the colors are accurate and factory calibration is top notch. Only small niggle I have with this monitor is it cannot be wall mounted (the connections are in the base) and the arm that holds the monitor up although quite stable is a bit wobbly.