on 2 October 2012
I like to get my head round hard stuff, and was looking for an introduction to the physics/mathematics of time, which seems to be crucial to understanding quantum theory. While browsing on Amazon, I came across this. It's an interesting essay, which touches on lots of subjects in a non-scary way. A pleasurable bedtime read!
on 24 August 2013
If you already know a bit about atoms and sub atomic particles you won't get much from this book. If you know nothing about it and you like books written in 'coolspeak' then it gives you a taster. Also read "The Particles of the Universe" by Jeff Yee. This book describes the actual shape and construction of the electron, proton and neutron. Jeff's explanation makes a lot more sense than string theory and is the best book I have yet read on the subject.
on 5 February 2013
I thoroughly enjoy Alan Halls style of writing.
A little added humour helps to oil the cogs of learning well at least in my brain.
I found this book and others of his that I have purchased clear and concise.
I would recommend this and his other books.
TN
on 28 October 2012
Brilliantly easy to understand. Took me an evening to read, split in to no-nonsense sections. Explains any jargon that you might not understand, plus gives examples in ways that are really relatable.
I love that it includes a lot of references, including a few that I have taken as suggestions of books to read.

Ends a bit prematurely, but that may just be because I was enjoying the read.
Worth buying.
on 21 April 2013
Easily readable with a type of honesty and wit that was surprising for this genre and made it enjoyable. Some good anecdotes. But a little brief on the subject and still leaves the reader, perhaps as much of science, not quite knowing what is really going at the atomic level.
on 31 December 2014
good
on 16 August 2013
This book is fine, but tends to meander a little and you wonder-why is this included. However, I did enjoy it the bits that were appropriate.
on 15 September 2013
it was written in a way I could understand and kept my interest so I just didn't want to put it down and it left me wanting more. cant wait to read more books by Alan
on 9 July 2013
Badly written, ambiguous, bad grammar (even quotes Pythagoras incorrectly) and definitely not proof read. One would need to know the subject already to separate the facts from 'humour'.
on 20 March 2014
It is a bit out of date, leans on being funny but it isn't. It does lend a bit of reality to the many theories banded about so despite my low rating (it wasn't what I had expected) it is worth a read.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse