Customer reviews

on 28 February 2013
The 5 Minute Coach introduces a short and simple yet extremely powerful coaching procedure that can be used in any situation. It is very clearly explained with very specific instructions, clear examples, and a comprehensive troubleshooting FAQ section.
Ideal for the time-pressed manager but, indeed, for anyone who wants to help or get the best out of their workforce, their colleagues, their family and themselves.
For those of you new to coaching, it is a very straight-forward solution-focussed approach that will deliver great results. If you are already an experienced coach, it will introduce you to the world of "clean language" and its power. Can definitely recommend.
on 24 May 2012
What really hits you in reading this book, is that you just know it's been written by people who've really used this technique and achieved hard results.
This is demonstrated by its use of good, raw examples which show you how the approach works in the real world.
It's also written in extremely clear, concrete language which enables you get to grips with the subject as speedily as the book's title would lead you to expect.
Free of the bamboozling theory and tedious jargon which bedevils so many management texts, it talks you through every step of the process and, most importantly, provides tips on what to do when things don't go to plan.
An extremely practical, pragmatic, hugely useful guide.
on 8 August 2012
As a pragmatist who likes to read a business book and apply the knowledge immediately, I found that The Five Minute Coach delivers what it promises: a rapid way to increase performance. I'm also a fan of de-mystifying the art of coaching to spread the benefits far and wide through society.

While already familiar with Clean Language coaching, the unexpected bonus came in seeing how the book makes the concepts of Clean Language accessible to the newcomer to coaching as well as experienced coaches. By comparison, many books on the topic leave the reader feeling that Clean Language is complex and academic and not appropriate with every client. My copy is bookmarked at the one page `crib sheet.'

This book is valuable for the keen manager to learn some basics of Clean Language coaching and get started very quickly with willing participants. As an experienced coach, I have found it useful to play with the framework for some speedy coaching with willing participants.

It offers a crystal clear five stage coaching framework in the first chapter and then unpacks this framework in more detail through the subsequent chapters. The explanations are supported by tips, stories and troubleshooting guidance. In particular, the authors offer step by step guidance on how to set up the session (what coaches refer to as contracting) so that the client knows what to expect with the particular style of questioning.

In the Coaching in Action chapter, the authors give a transcript of the coaching process together with a running commentary of what might be happening `inside the coach's head.' In this way they give extra insight into the split second decisions the coach makes as she frames the next Clean Language question.

Sometimes the simplest tips remain with you after reading a book of this kind. Back in Chapter 1, we are reminded of the power of the two little words `and' and `when' with examples of how starting a response with these two words will have a very different impact to beginning a response with the words `if' or `so'. The lesson is that opening a question with the words `And when' is a much more supportive start to keep the coachees' thoughts flowing without any implied judgement on the part of the coach.

For example when I say to a coachee: `And when you find the job of your dreams, then what happens?' will evoke a different and more empowering reaction to `So if you find the job of your dreams, then what happens?'

This book is definitely a welcome addition to my coaching library that earns its place on the overcrowded shelves.
on 14 May 2012
Excellent! Another book I wish I'd written!

If you want step-by-step instructions for using Clean Language in a business coaching context, this is the book for you - whether your role officially includes coaching or not.

The Five-Minute Coach model emerged from years of real-world experience. Lynne Cooper and Mariette Castellino have taught hundreds of people to use their model over the years - and it shows. The book is full of practical examples, and session transcripts set in the office life you may know and... well, choose your own preference

I escaped from office life a good few years ago, and I never had coaching as a formal part of my role. But I can still imagine how useful this book would have been to me - when I was a managing a team for the first time; when I started handling larger "performance issues"; when I was doing staff appraisals and follow-ups; when I was managing my boss.

It would have made my life so much easier - people would have taken more responsibility for their own work and we'd have all got much more work done.

(By the way, did I ever explain how I once had to carry out staff appraisals in Santa's Grotto? But that's another story.)

Lynne and Mariette have written a straightforward how-to guide: clear, practical, effective.

Of course, the book is not for everyone. If you're the kind of person who likes to take a more free-form approach, you might well be annoyed by the relative rigidity of the structure. You might also feel that it misses one of the most valuable parts of Clean Language - the wealth of insight that comes from experiencing your metaphoric landscape in a waking trance.

But for most, I think it will work well - not least because the Five-Minute Coach model gives you something to vary from.
on 28 August 2012
Although aimed at the business market The five minute Coach offers a clean language approach for working with others and equally with ourselves in all environments. i have already applied this with success in several meetings and with my child. In addition I tackled a difficult life issue of my own and got rapid insights which felt empowering. It is a deeply respectful process and helps us with truly listening as well as helping the other listen. This surely is the key to excellent communication.

I have found myself fascinated with clean language. I think it will become a mainstream tool as it is so effective and simple. This book is a great contribution.
on 24 May 2012
I love this book.
I'd never heard of 'Clean Language' before and I like to be quite prosaic in my expression, but I've found this system really works!
Having experienced a session of Five Minute coaching and seen the results it produced in my life, I am totally sold on this process and would recommend it to anyone (everyone?). I'm not a corporate type or anything like that, just an ordinary woman with kids and a dream to achieve something in life. Well thanks to this amazing book, at least the 'something' is a lot clearer now!

This book is simple, practical and well written. The instuctions are clear and easy to follow. It also walks you step by step through the process so you don't have to spend weeks trying to integrate what you've just read. And if, like me, you're busy and want to get going straight away, then this is the book for you!
on 18 July 2012
Lynne Cooper and Mariette Castellino have produced a fantastic resource for Coaches and Clean Facilitators. They explain how you can use Clean Language to coach someone to take action in as little as five minutes. The book is based on the work of David Grove, Penny Tompkins and James Lawley, and provides clear instructions for moving through five stages of coaching, with plenty of examples and ideas for what to do if the unexpected happens. There are lots of ideas in this book that will help you to coach people without giving them your ideas and suggestions.
on 6 December 2014
I bought this as another way of interacting with my Coaching Clients.

Lynne goes through the whole process of quick to the point coaching sessions using clean language, she advocates not having much eye contact with your coachee, which goes against most of the other Coach training books I have read (building rapport skills)

On the whole an interesting read.
on 29 May 2013
Looking for a simple coaching approach for volunteers to use to help people get what they want. This is an excellent base.
on 6 February 2014
I'm already using the first question with my family - and it works.
Great templates - to help put this into practice