Fran Castle is asked if she will help Bella Morleigh who has inherited a cottage and a derelict theatre from relatives she didn't know existed. Fran, with her psychic abilities, senses there is more going on than she is being told and is suspicious because it is the police who have asked her to get in touch with Bella. Fran's friend, Libby Sarjeant, is also interested in the case especially when Bella discovers a body inside the derelict theatre when she visits it for the first time.

Both Fran and Libby are involved in the forthcoming production of the pantomime, Jack and the Beanstalk, which Libby helps to run and they're also looking forward to celebrating the Civil Partnership of their friends, Peter and Harry. In spite of all that is going on in their lives, both Fran and Libby find Bella' situation intriguing and they are keen to find out more about her family for her.

I enjoyed this third book in the Libby Sarjeant series and I recommend it to anyone who likes their crime stories set in the English countryside and with not too much violence. I like the added ingredient of Fran's psychic abilities. I also like the fact that Fran and Libby don't always get on and they do have arguments and snap at one another. They are not perfect people and don't always behave well.

The books in this series can be read as a standalone novels but it is probably best to read them in the order in which they were published so that you are aware of all the background.
on 30 April 2016
I like these two ladies - they are normal-ish 50 year old's with the confidence to say what they like , do what they like and be outrageous if they feel like it, with the odd glass of wine added to the mix. They have seen life with all it ups and downs and have come out the other end being reasonably content in their own skins. The other people in their story are nice well thought out characters whom you can quite easily imagine.
Some of the story is a bit far fetched but this make these books nice easy reads. I'm slowly getting through the whole series.
These books would make an excellent Radio series, sadly not TV as it would be compared to that awful 'Rosemary and Thyme' series and these are more rounded and fun.
Another winner from Lesley Cookman
on 3 April 2014
Another good read in this brilliant series, I highly recommend all the books in the series. This one has a really good storyline, the characters are really believable and the historical detail is good.
on 12 December 2012
I have read all the Libby Sarjeant books, lovely village and people, even the murders seem friendly!!
Well thought out, would recommend to all friends
on 29 December 2012
As usual a good read interesting plot. Always kept on your toes to who the murderer is. You find yourself waiting for the next book to come out
on 19 June 2013
Great plot, good story line. This story grabs your attention from the beginning and doesn't let go, I will be reading this again, more than once.
If you get a chance to read the whole series do so, fantastic.
on 22 June 2014
the book/series was interesting and lots of characters who were real and had lots of insecurities and flaws, which made them more interesting. Nice to have characters who were in there 50,s still having relationships who were rounded and had various levels of success.
on 4 February 2015
Easy to relax to these little tales of old English villages and dastardly murders, engaging and written with a smile except for Libby sarjeant. Why the author has decided to make her so antagonistic towards her so called friend Fran I just can't fathom. If she were my friend I would be terribly intimidated by her and avoid her as much as I could. Other than that nice to get lost in for a while.
on 8 November 2012
Although good in parts the theme of the book was was too much like the others,in fact at times I was thinking I had read some of it already in one of the others.The first one of the series I read I thoroughly enjoyed but I think more variety is required with respect to the basic plots. As a "who done it" I was impressed by the way the plot was worked and I certainly did not work out who the guilty party before he was exposed.
on 23 May 2013
I love this series of books and have read them all
The characters are great and I can imagine them all
with all their quirkiness.