Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 8 July 2013
I've had loads of lessons but have never got much better until I read this book. This book explains the swing in such a simple way it’s impossible not to improve your technique. I especially like the photo of the grip which really gets it across how you are meant to stand to the ball. It’s a great book and a fascinating read. Well done John Hoskison for making the swing so simple. His book ‘NO Hiding in the Open’ is also a brilliant book about his days on tour. If you’re looking for a gritty, humourous read - try that one as well.
on 20 June 2013
Apologies to John, I thought I'd already reviewed his cracking book, must have been too busy outside using what he told me in this book - things that nobody else had said.
Someone once said of John Hoskison that when faced with a bottle-neck fairway he was the only one who ever just stood up and bashed it through it. This is how this book is. John's a good writer, and has thought immensely long and hard about this book. It's not 'another' book on golf swings. John tells you why, and gives you choices, adding directions that REALLY work.
I have never read anything that explained why the forearms need to be level in the impact zone. Or what 'hitting against a strong left side' is. As two examples of absolutely vital contact fixes, they show what this book does. John could have gone on and on about anecdotes and this and that, great hotels, travels here and there. He's no interest in telling us that. He knows what works, he just tells it, using some very illustrative metaphorical imagery too which I appreciated.
I've been asked a lot which book I think should be a main fundamental of learning golf. I always say this one. It's that good. I hope I've surprised the author in saying that. I am measuring that simply in how it helps people understand how to get out of swing thoughts and into moving the ball how and where you want it too. My second favourite is Nick Faldo's 'Swing for Life', and third McTeigue's 'Effortless Swing' (Jim Hardy's Plane Truth in fourth). That's some company to keep, no?
on 22 June 2013
A short step by step manual. You really can build a swing you can trust, if you follow the instructions, practice is the key. For the first time, I know where my clubhead is any time during the swing. Has taken 6 shots a round off my game to date. I am confident this will improve my scores further as time goes by. For a very modest investment you get fantastic results.
on 8 January 2014
I have bought / read lots of golf books to improve my swing and mental approach to golf
My handicap has come down from 28 to 13 over the last 2 years, but felt like I had reached my limit.
After reading this book my accuracy and power have improved (particularly accuracy) and I can't wait for the new golf season,when I hope to achieve my ambition of becoming a "single figure" handicapper.
This book crystallizes the essential elements for a reliable swing, and I can't recommend it enough.
p.s. I haven't told any of my golf mates about this book, because I like taking money off them
on 31 December 2014
EVERYTHING you could ever want to build or re build your golf swing with vivid mental pictures of what John is telling us.Then completed with a training program to guarantee improvement.An informative,interesting and very helpful read not only telling the reader what to do or not to do,but WHY which for me is most important to help me understand.
on 26 May 2013
There are many books available on the mechanics of the golf swing but this is one of the best I have read. It has just the right amount of technical as well as practical advice to help you groove a more reliable swing, something we are all looking to do. John Hoskison’s own experiences of trying to work through a swing flaw early on in his career make very interesting reading. An excellent book that left me feeling optimistic, that I can continue to improve my swing and play better golf.
on 20 August 2013
I've played golf for over 30 years and read many instruction books but this is by far and away the best. It's simple, easy to understand and follow and if you follow the instruction really does work. I'm 59 and now playing consistently to a 9 handicap, my driving is the best it's ever been and I'm now working on getting my iron play in similar shape. I'm on my second read of the book. It's logical and very easy to remember unlike a lot of instruction. No gimmicks just common sense. Well done John Hoskison for keeping it simple!
on 29 April 2013
Came across this book by accident and boy I wished I had found this a long time ago. I knew in my mind that when playing golf, even though I could never put together a mind blowing score, I kept saying to myself that what I was doing was the right way. After reading this book, it felt everything I had been doing over the last 20 years was the same way as the book explains. The mistake I'd been doing all the time was not being patient enough to let it work. I would go out for a round and it would take the first 6 holes just to connect everything from this book into my golf. Now I know why I always play the back 9 of any round far better than the front 9. All in all, buy the bloody book and you won't look back !
on 25 April 2014
This book is excellent value for money and I have over 20 golf instuction books. It gives just enough info without over complicating things. That in itself is an art form when it comes to golf instruction. The grip advice is really excellent and has helped me instantly.
I also emailed John with a query and he replied within 1 day and was very helpful.
on 3 September 2014
I'm sure this book was written for me. I've read loads of golf instruction books but this is the only one that has made all the difference to my game. Now I use it as a great reference guide and keep going back to it to refresh my memory when things go wrong. I'm a left hander but have always played right handed with certain degress of success mingled with lots of frustration. Now, I'm finally starting to enjoy my golf with more consistency. So well written with great insight and friendly speak but firm instruction. Lower Your Score follows in the same vein.