on 9 October 2014
First time reading then book by author enjoyed it a good story about a police force working together it was a good ending
on 22 August 2013
A good read. I felt like somethings had been left out because of the references made that had no meaning.
on 8 July 2011
What a very interesting and enjoyable read. Couldn't put this book down. It was so well written that it keeps you wanting more. Would certainly recommend this book to anyone.A fantastic debut and will be very hard to follow, but will certainly look for more my this author J.Mark Bertrand.
on 19 August 2011
I really didn't like 'our hero' - he was a homicide cop with a very large chip on his shoulders, I was 65% through the book before the hints of what caused his problem was finally explained - and the explanation of his behaviour was bizarre, why a personal tragedy should make him an 'I don't care copper'was beyond me!. However, the story was okay - ish, but March didn't seem to follow evidence, he tended to work on hunches or feelings, miraculously he solved the case and all of a sudden was the popular guy of older times.
Several scenes were totally implausible, not least the one where he is sitting in a car with a guy who pulls a gun on him and STILL manages to get the upper hand.
I am still trying to work out the point of the final chapter - 12 months on, it was superfluous and left me even more confused.
I wouldn't bother with any more in the series, and certainly not at the new price.
on 14 March 2016
not read yet
on 15 July 2011
An excellent book.....Roland March is a complicated character and I shouted at him a couple of times but to no avail....he just carried on. Really good plots running through the book and the need to know what comes next so very satisfying. Recommended to anyone who enjoys police procedure thrillers
on 18 July 2011
Well written. Believable characters. Excellent plot. A bargain! (That's all I need to say, but Amazon insist that a review must be at least 20 words.)
on 23 July 2011
What an excellent book. I would have been happy had I paid for it but it's free. So much better than I expected, I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read more.
on 21 April 2012
This is one that I picked up for free at some point, experimentally, and I really enjoyed it. It's not at all an original premise - washed up cop trying to find his way again, some traumatic history, rocky relationship with his wife, a drugs-style shooting, a missing girl, leaks to the press, blah blah, and many of the twists and turns were quite predictable, but it really didn't matter. I found myself drawn into it almost at once, and was soon tearing through it in every spare moment.

The key factor for me was that all the characters felt like real people. The cop himself, Roland March, his wife Charlotte, the other cops, the various people drawn into the investigation... all of them felt like the sort of folks you could meet any day of the week, with all their little foibles, their histories together, the way they behaved. I read so many books where the characters are simply one-dimensional that it's a real joy to find one where they're fully rounded, and make stupid mistakes from time to time, or even get distracted by an attractive colleague.

This book has been categorised as 'Christian' by a number of readers, but if that is normally a turn-off for you, don't be deterred. Several of the characters are openly Christian, and there's a connection to a local church, but there's absolutely no preaching. The main effect on the plot is no swearing, no obvious sex outside marriage, and no real vices amongst the main characters, but that doesn't make it dull or heavily religious at all. Actually, it makes a refreshing change from the usual book of this type.

Some negatives: there were moments when the plot required characters to do fairly stupid things, or fail to make the obvious connections, just to trigger a dramatic moment or a big reveal. There were a lot of minor characters to keep track of, especially when they would disappear for several chapters and then pop up again out of nowhere. Thank goodness for the Kindle search function. And the hero's wife has to be fairly unpleasant for a while in order to ramp up the drama: at one point she starts in on him as soon as he steps through the door, then accuses *him* of always arguing, and when he eventually does what she's been nagging him to do, she rewards him with sex, which felt a little odd to me.

One aspect I felt uncomfortable with was the link to 9-11. Sometimes it seems as if you can't open a book without one or other character being connected to the tragedy, and in this case it seemed like a bit of an unnecessary stretch, a cheap appeal to emotion which could have been dealt with more creatively. It's a small point, however. On the plus side, I enjoyed the setting of Houston. I lived there for a while way back when, and it was strange to find what were respectable neighbourhoods in thoe days characterised as drug infested now. But the descriptions of the area seemed spot-on to me, as far as I could tell.

The story built nicely to the climax which was suitably dramatic, tied things up neatly and yet left the odd loose end to be picked up in a future book, perhaps. An entertaining, readable story. Four stars.
on 26 January 2014
I really didn't enjoy this book, though perhaps that is because I am English and I found I didn't understand
some of the references. I didn't enjoy the style of writing.

Cop, Roland March, is scorned by his colleagues and his ex-partner, and he and his wife are going through
a bad patch. However, it was not till 66% through the book that it was really explained why "this time of year"
is so difficult for March and his wife - though I had a good guess. Also, it wasn't till then that you find
out why he regularly goes to a bar and leaves without touching his drink!

There were far too many characters and I found I had to use the X-ray facility to remember who people were.
There were sudden flurries of action, in between long periods of arguing with a female cop. who wears her
religion "on her sleeve"; discussing God; talking to his wife; drinking in a bar; trying to get rid of
his unwanted tenant, a hurricane (why was that necessary?), etc.

There were the usual bad cops - some of whom get their "comeuppance" - and a number of deaths. The
ending was dragged out over several chapters and the last chapter wasn't necessary.
Sorry, not an author for me.