on 8 February 2015
my husband loved this book
on 8 June 2012
Easy to follow, brilliantley written and lovely recipes - another fantastic Bertinet book for your collection - I would definitley recommend.
on 4 May 2012
Richard Bertinet is one of those rare people who is not only a master of their craft but also gifted with the ability and enthusiasm to pass on their knowledge to 'lesser mortals' such as myself. Having devoured all three of his previous books and had the pleasure of attending his 5 day Bread course in Bath I was looking forward to this book with great anticipation - and it does not disappoint.

Instead of getting bogged down in nomenclature (shortcrust, flaky etc) he simply discusses "Salted, Sweet, Puff and Choux". The first chapter is devoted to making these basic four types with all you need to know about filling forms, tartlets etc, blind baking, storage and so on. Subsequent chapters deal with the many uses to which these four basic types can be put. The instructions are very clear and always have a view to resolving the problems that put so many people off pastry making. I particularly liked the 'bonus' recipes for pork pies (jelly with port!) and the touchy subject of Cornish pasties!

The book is a beautiful artefact illustrated throughout with superb pictures. The cover is particularly striking.

His writing style is a pleasure to read and it would be difficult to see how the subject of pastry making could be put across in a more clear, reassuring and comforting way. His introduction expresses the hope that this book will encourage everyone to make pastry a part of their domestic routine and I believe he has succeeded admirably.

I would doubt that there is a better introduction to the subject out there!

p.s. this is his first book not to include a DVD; the accompanying videos are available on his website: [...]
58 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 July 2012
Once you find an author you like, it's really hard to resist buying another one of his tomes! Richard writes in his usual style, which is unfussy and friendly at the same time. The steps are all well laid out, so attempting his recipes is as usual, straightforward. I did have a go at the millefeuilles, which was almost successful...shall try again, I am not deterred!
This time there is no dvd; however, his website has all the clips you could want, so this may be a better (and cheaper) way of publishing his videos.
on 7 September 2012
The book is clearly illustrated with good photographs. The explanations are clear and straight forward, making it easy to understand without the video that has been included in his Dough and Crust books. I found these other two books (especially Dough) to be outstanding and use them all the time. This new book Pastry looks set to be another that I will use a lot. Saying that, I've just been to the supermarket and bought a supply of flour and butter and I am now going to try out some recipes - the only difficulty is knowing which one to start with!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 10 June 2013
I love this book for its simple, clear instructions.
Pastries I bought I can now make ( if I wish) and it has the easiest Italian almond macaroon recipe ever.
His Croustillants ( using left over Puff Pastry pieces ) were devoured quickly and his savoury tarts make a delicious Summer supper. I have still more recipes to try but the beauty of this book is the instructions / illustrations on how to make basic pastry.
This allows freedom to use your own favourite recipes and not just his delicious bakes.
Highly Recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2013
Pastry by Richard Bertinet is probably the best book on pastry I have seen, and I have seen most. It covers all types of pastry and gives recipes for all the gateaus, quiches, tarts etc. that I know of and quiet a few new ones, all explained ina very straightforwrd and easy to follow manner. Highly recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2012
I was so pleased with this book that I immediately ordered another as a gift for a family member who has quite recently started out on her journey with home cooking. This will be a good book to be able to refer to and also to stretch her abilities.
At the same time I bought this book about bread Dough, the techniques shown are very clear and a little different to many others, this book comes with a useful DVD showing the techniques for bread dough mixing, folding etc.
on 1 March 2013
Richard Bertinet is a master in the kitchen and his books have a cherished place in my library. The pox on Amazon's requirement for X amount of words before accepting a review!
2 people found this helpful
on 17 September 2013
As a man, I'm great at making bread but not very good at pastry.
I found his other books DOUGH and CRUST great at ways of im-proving
my breadmaking skills and so it was with this pastry book. Could have done with a DVD as with the other two, DOUGH and CRUST.
Made content to his website.
One person found this helpful