on 3 May 2015
It's not that I can't see what Mr Green is doing here, it's just that the really interesting part of the book is the last four chapters. I pushed through and finished it as the author had been recommended but perhaps I picked the wrong book.

Colin is a drip - a complete wimp who is needy, self-involved and emotionally retarded. His saving grace is that he's quite clever but that gets dull really quickly since he never uses his intelligence for anything useful. I've met people like this in real life - they bore me there and they bore me on the page. Lindsey was a reasonable character and I actually liked Hassan. Otherwise not much happens in this book since 90% of it takes place in Colin's head - I mentioned that he bored me, right?

Style wise, John Green's prose is flawless. He has a lot of clever stuff in here and I like the wry humour. I will try some of his other books based on that. He's clearly a talented writer.

Can I recommend this to anyone? Not really, unless you want to spend four or five hours of your life in the head of an emotionally maladjusted boy who really doesn't consider the feelings of others and is obsessed with being clever. Also if you don't mind not much happening. If that's your bag, go for it, otherwise no, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not Green's best work.
on 12 September 2014
Synopsis

After being dumped by the 19th Katherine in his life, Colin – along with best friend Hassan – decide to take a road trip to help with the emotion recovery of his recent heartbreak. Along the way, Colin – a child prodigy – decided to try and find a mathematic equation to help plot the course of true love. The boys end up in a podunk town where Colin discovers that everything that he thought he knew – especially the things he thought about himself – are not as black and white as he has grown up to believe.

Review

Ok. I admit it. I jumped on the bandwagon. When I read The Fault in Our Stars last year I pretty much purchased every book that John Green had written. Then, in true Lisa style, I put them on my kindle bookshelf and let them accrue layers of metaphorical dust whilst I read a lot of other books but due to my 100 book challenge this book, An Abundance of Katherines, has made it to the forefront and I have now read it. Hazzah.

For those of you wanting to read it (for the same reason or personal reasons of your own) then I will issue you with a warning. This book is nothing like The Fault in Our Stars. If you are looking for a similar read then you have picked up the wrong book. Of course, An Abundance of Katherines does have the inimitable John Green dry humour and wit but it deals less with health woes and more with the woes of being a teenage boy dealing with heartbreak.

For me, one of the great things about this book is the friendship between Colin and Hassan. I felt that there was a silly verisimilitude to their friendship. The way that they mocked each other, they could be angry at each other but they could also be honest and tell each other that they loved or were hurt by the others actions. The story was more enjoyable because of their banter.

I really liked An Abundance of Katherines. Even though my reasons for reading it were admittedly flawed, what I liked about it was that it was so different from The Fault in Our Stars. It probably goes without saying that John Green is one of the definitive voices for a YA generation. What may have been said is that he is literatures equivalent to John Hughes. He just gets how tough it is to be young.

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green is available now.

You can follow John Green on Twitter @RealJohnGreen
on 14 August 2014
'An Abundance of Katherines' is the story of Colin Singleton, former child prodigy who loves anagrams and has been dumped 19 times by girls called Katherines. Colin begins to develop a theorem, 'The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability' which he hopes will predict the future relationships he may have. Following his recent break up with Katherine 19, Colin and his best friend, Hassan, a direct-less genius who is quite happy to stay at home and watch 'Judge Judy' (who he may or may not have a crush on) decide to go on a road trip where they find adventure and a chance to meet the right girl for Colin.

Colin and Hassan have a great friendship and for two boys they were surprisingly honest with each other which I enjoyed reading. Colin is a complicated character because he was obsessed with discovering why his relationships never worked which frustrated me because I felt that he was missing so many good things. Colin constantly tries to define himself and is scared of never finding his place in the world, maybe because of my age, I just felt that he had time to find himself but I remember feeling the same when I was teenager.

I enjoyed 'An Abundance of Katherines' from start to finish, as always John Green writes brilliant and likeable characters.

Rating: 5/5
on 14 March 2013
This book could only be described as hilarious, witty and extraordinarily clever! It wasn't quite as good as The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns or Looking For Alaska... But it still justifies John Green being one of my favourite YA authors! Each page brought another laugh, another insight into Collin's intellect and another witty footnote!

The plot was simple, but effective... But this was because the characters were really what made the tale... So, here we have a washed up child prodigy and his Judge Judy-obsessed best mate going on a road trip... What could possibly go wrong? I've said it before, and I'll say it again... John Green is a genius! Colin as a character is extremely unique; how many other book characters do you know who have tried to prove 'The Theorem of the Underlying Katherine Predictability'? Despite his nerdish antics (but hey, nerds are the best!), Colin was a very relatable character... I might even go as far as to say, he's one of my all-time favourite characters!

But unfortunately, and there's often a downside to most books, An Abundance of Katherines was written in a fairly confusing way... Unlike other John Green books, it didn't flow off the page as nicely... But if you give it a bit of time and patience, you get used to it! I still thoroughly recommend.
on 31 January 2016
I have read all of John Green's novels, and while I kind of enjoyed this one it just didn't pack the same kind of punch as his others (or of the other novels I enjoy). For the only time when reading his books, I felt rather patronised by his writing, and over-explanation of each plot point. John Green is often accused of writing one-dimensional female characters and that is certainly true here, however I thought the male characters were relatively one-dimensional too. Overall, I spent a happy few hours reading this book, but was left with a sense of dissatisfaction and boredom by the end. I won't read it again.
on 20 January 2017
the book is okay. i enjoyed it but not that much.

art the lower end of john greens books
on 23 August 2017
An Abundance of Katherines has a different feel to John Green's other solo works. Perhaps it's the lack of tragedy.
I personally enjoyed the change. I found the novel funny, extremely readable, and lighthearted. Colin's relationship with his best friend, Hassan, was probably my favourite thing about the story.
on 27 September 2013
At first, I didn't enjoy this book as much as John Green's other books due to the mathematic content and me being terrible at maths. But after a little while, I couldn't stop reading, much like Green's other books. Colin is very relatable and I love the journey he goes on throughout the book. I loved the mathematical help at the end aswell. Would definitely recommend.
on 26 April 2016
Really annoying to read on kindle due to the footnotes which just don't work without losing your place ! Took ages to get into and then just finished it because I don't like leaving books halfway through . Some people might enjoy it but unfortunately it was frustrating and boring for me .
on 27 September 2016
John Green's books are always a great hit with my younger teenage male cousins, and usually get passed on to their parents to read afterwards, so suitable for all ages.