on 17 June 2011
This book has some great ideas on how to incorporate crochet into sewing projects, whether using it to add texture or colour to bags and cushions, or for giving your clothes a new lease of life by adding a crocheted trim or embellishment.

The book has 200 crochet patterns, each one with a picture at the top, step by step instructions underneath and a diagram at the bottom. The book is split into 4 sections: Flowers, Trims, Fabrics & Motifs. There is a useful section at the front with stitch instructions, a guide to following crochet patterns, advice on choosing yarns and your colour palette.
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 August 2011
Great ideas for making quick brooches as gifts, however, it is an American publication so remember to convert to British crochet stitches ie single crochet in America is equivalent to British double crochet!
on 19 November 2017
Great book
on 13 June 2017
Excellent
on 31 December 2011
I don't make a lot of flowers so wouldn't have instinctively bought this but it has turned out to be really useful for a number of projects. There are excellent examples of how stitch patterns can be created so you can use it for the basis of scarves, cushions etc. with extremely clear photographs.
The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that the terminology is written for American crocheters rather than European, so you do have to take care to "translate" it into UK terms. But there are lots of nice clear diagrams so it's easy to double check what you're doing.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 November 2012
A book for the crochet-er.

First of all, the book is a collection of patterns for flowers, leaves, trims, and stitches that can be added here and there to make everything look pretty, the best thing being that it gives you ideas on how to use them.

Each section in the book is colour coded for easy finding. It contains a very useful intro covering the basic stitched, yarn weights and textures, pattern reading, and generally useful ideas and information to stimulate crochet creativity. Despite this I would not really recommend it to the absolute beginners, I believe that a basic knowledge of pattern-reading can go a long way here and make it more enjoyable.

The patterns are really easy to read, each of them consists of a colourful picture (it seems silly, but when you look at different rows the fact that each row is a different colour makes the pattern more clear), written instructions and a graph (before reading this book I found graphs to possibly be the scariest thing about crochet, but they make the patterns so much more clear it's unbelievable). These three things together make it virtually impossible to make the pattern wrong because you have so many ways of checking and rechecking it. I of course managed to wrong a couple of times, but I know it's my own fault for not liking to follow instructions: I'm a rebel you see.

Over all I can't find any major fault with this book, but if I really wanted to I could say that it should have contained more patterns for the simple reason that they are so beautifully written that you get fantastic ideas on how to use them just by looking at the pictures -cough, cough, yarnbombing, cough. All I can say, really, is go buy it NOW!
on 12 November 2011
As someone who is fairly new to crochet this book has introduced me to lots of patterns I never knew existed, I've tried a couple and thanks to the easy to follow and well written instructions they have turned out perfectly. I can see this being a book I will dip in to a lot for years to come.
on 4 January 2012
This book is a real delight for all crochet & knitting addicts - which I am. But even if not the artistry & skill behind the work presented is there for all admire. I have aleady completed several of the flowers, and am planning several of the the butterflies soon. The instructions with diagrams (for the crochet) make it really very simple.

Definitely a VERY good buy.
on 29 May 2016
Don't bother purchasing this book. You can find it all on YouTube. I thought I was getting a book it's just a download. It cost me over £8 not happy
on 12 February 2012
Loved this book once I realised the instructions are American - thankfully before I started anything! Very clearly written with both text and diagrammatic patterns. Made several flowers and a scarf from the "fabric" section the day I got it!