on 21 May 2017
I was quite prepared to not like this, having read synopses of the story. Don't get me wrong, I love King's work, his writing style and the little (did he mean that) nuances that make his stories enjoyable. But this sounded weird. It is weird. I'm not a fan of Westerns, that's probably the root of it and although this Gunslinger guy seems to be part knight, part wizard, part Two Gun Tex, the nod to the Western genre is still there. Written when he was 19, cutting his teeth on the literary scene, it's understandably disjointed and the writing style is notably different; a writer still struggling to find his style. It wasn't an easy read, but some parts of it were really good, parts not so. On the whole it was a little confusing but I could see the potential there for the development. Enough back story was told to give the Gunslinger a past and for us to connect with him. I can forgive this awkward beginning, given its history and I was going to score this lower but having just started Vol 2, I can see a marked improvement already and the King we all know starts to show himself. Based on this, I improved my score; call it a weighted average.
on 29 May 2017
Too long, too drawn out. The story is good, what little there is, but there's just way too much padding out, over description etc.
on 15 June 2017
I first stumbled upon the Dark Tower series when I was 15... And the stories just captivated me! I have read it so many times, but each time it steals your head and imagination....!
on 4 April 2017
Fantastic. This is my third trip to the tower and its as good as the first time. One of my favourites.
on 20 June 2017
Decent book, wouldn't read again but will continue the series
on 26 April 2017
Just finished and wow, just like this books before it, it's a stunner! Why didn't I start reading this years ago?
on 22 June 2017
This whole series is my favourite. If you want to get lost in another world, start here!
on 2 June 2017
Slow and laborious to read.
on 23 May 2017
Stephen King always delivers !
on 17 March 2017
Good read draws you on to the next in line