• Rook
  • Customer reviews

on 30 May 2014
One of the things I liked this most for was the lack of tied up endings - so many things happened and were not explained, so many secrets not told. I don't know whether this was deliberate, a sequel being anticipated (which would be eagerly read) but I think not; it's just the way things are.
The opening was historical and lush, rich, gorgeous and brutal. The rest described places, a way of life and a background of cello-playing which I am unfamiliar with.
The whole told of a woman I couldn't help but wish to know more about; her relationship with her mother and those about her compelling.
Wonderful.
on 3 December 2013
I loved Jane Rusbridge's first book, she is a poetical and eloquent writer. Rook was written in the same atmospheric lyrical style. The descriptive writing is excellent. But the plot did not captivate me. I found it hard to get into and hard to follow because of the jumps from one time to another. It starts in the 11th Century and leaps forward to the 21st and it took some time for me to understand the reason. Then the story is then based around Nora and her mother Ada in present day Bosham and the mystery of two tombs in Bosham church. Both women relived many memories from their own lives and sometimes the change in time and place from one chapter to another was confusing. Beautifully written, full of evocative description of the landscape and the starveling rook rescued by Nora. The relationship between Nora and the rook was interesting and informative. The author obviously carried out thorough research on rooks and local history and in that regard the book was satisfying. Definitely worth reading.
on 14 November 2014
Nora, a young woman has returned to her childhood home in Bosham, Sussex. It is clear that something has gone wrong, and we gradually piece the story together. Written in sometimes quite poetic prose, the book contains a great sense of place. The landscape, sounds and smells fill the pages. Gradually the layers peel away, to reveal the vulnerabilities and emotions beneath.
on 8 November 2012
I bought this book after enjoying the author's first, 'The Devil's Music', and also because I am a big fan of Rooks, so I suppose I had high expectations, and I must say that I was not at all disappointed. It is one of those books you find hard to put down and is written with such illustrative description that the story becomes as clear as a film in your mind. The characters have real depth, and you find yourself wanting to get to know them better, especially as there is a slight veil of mystery to begin with, making the book even more of a page-turner. The relationship between Nora and her mother is particularly interesting. As the story unfolds I was incredibly touched, and moved to tears by the end. What's more is that you feel yourself learning about English history which I always enjoy in a novel. Finally, I was not disappointed with the role of Rook - Jane Rusbridge brilliantly captures the intelligence and character of the bird, which served to further endear the story to me. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 7 June 2013
This was quite unusual. I love history and the story held my interest because it started with a slaughter in the 11th century and then to the present day with a mystery to where the king was buried. I have a real interest now in Rooks. If you were interested in Richard III remains being found I am sure you will enjoy this.
on 6 February 2014
Loved this book, the complex characters, relationships, the underlying themes of the past and the nature around them. I would have liked more resolution in some areas such as the business of Nora's real father, why her father left etc.
on 9 January 2014
It's one of those books that draws you in - to a landscape, to a pulse of time (where historical time and present time merge and depart), and to the mystical in everyday lives - all while being firmly planted in the here and now, the mundane, and real time. It's a book I left slightly altered for having read it...
on 7 February 2014
Enjoyed the atmosphere of this book but was ultimately disappointed by the ending; it held much promise for me throughout but I felt it didn't actually go anywhere - having read it on a Kindle I wondered if the end pages or chapter might be missing... Not one I'd recommend.
on 23 November 2014
A totally brilliant atmospheric book that will stay with you long after you press the button on your kindle or close the cover. Inspired us to visit Bosham too
on 17 February 2014
I was a little disappointed with the storyline and the characters. Settings were well invoked but I was not gripped.