Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 8 December 2012
I love history books and always found that when I was at School the books quite boring and they didn't leave me feeling I had learnt anything about the era or people around at the time. This is alongside Philippa Gregory's books an excellent way to read history and absorb what being a part of the era was about.. I would certainly recommend this book to history buffs and those studying this era.. Lots of background knowledge goes a long way..
on 25 March 2009
This was the first book I read from the author Anne O Brien and I really liked it. It is the story of a widow who was married to a man she loathed, being offered a marriage of convenience to as very attractive man who wants to consolidate his inheritance. Later, the castle they inherit is besieged by Royalists with all kinds of consequences. It is a touching love story. The heroine, despite the fact she has been so unhappy is brave and her husband is really quite sexy even though they have a slow start to their romance. What starts as a marriage of convenience does not end that way. It's really well written and I enjoyed the story. Lots of interesting touches too. I can recommend this because I really enjoyed it.
on 1 November 2013
This book was ok but not fantastic. I prefer the historical books where the romance is about something real rather than this which appears to be more about being a romance novel that happens to be set in the past.
on 26 September 2012
I did enjoy this book. The story telling was good, and I could identify the historical period and facts of events, albeit with authors licence to involve the characters, and the general story line. Always wanted to pick it up and bury myself in the ongoing saga of the characters.
on 20 December 2014
Another captivating romantic, story set in the time of the English civil war. Tells of the developing romance between a Lord and his Lady with a backdrop of how it was to be under siege inside an English castle. Satisfying and entertaining.
on 27 June 2013
This is the second Anne O'Brien book I have read recently and thank you Amazon for recommending them to me. This is a delightful and absorbing novel. I do not usually class books as 'could not put down' but I found I was picking it up at the most unlikely times of the day and really did not want it to come to an end. I am now waiting eagerly for Anne's next novel.
on 30 January 2013
Love history and this book did not let me down . Great story excellent read could not put down. Have recommended to friends
on 21 November 2012
This is the first I have read from Anne Obrien loved it so much I just bought another. I had a mental image of the characters from the start. I loved Honoria and her strong will.
on 20 October 2013
When I first started reading this I wasn't sure that I was going to like it! However this book has crept under my skin and in the end I've enjoyed reading it!
The language is very stilted , which has been a downside to reading this book , but the characters have been a joy to get to know!
Honoria appears to be so straight laced that you hardly expect emotion from her as she is foisted into marriage with Lord Francis Marshall after the reading of her husband will! A startled young woman from Royalist background , now has a husband who is for the parliamentarian cause! Along the way during battle for property and power of the royalist versus parliament war there is a mistrust between husband and wife which is such an essential part of the plot. This however makes you want to bang Honoria and Francis's heads together repeatedly !
Just as you think they are sorted, a problem comes between them of her husband being arrested as a traitor to the crown and his misguided belief that his wife is involved.
Thankfully with compromise and some strong words from two friends it all becomes sorted and love is given freely as they become true husband and wife!
I loved the characters, especially Marie who interfered beautifully in making both parties see sense!
A good historical read by Anne O'Brien !
on 14 July 2013
I could not put the book down and was so absorbed in it that I felt part of the story. At times it made me cry. I would recommend this book to anyone