on 12 September 2012
My old inkjet had finally given up after 3 years, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy this Wireless Samsung printer.

When it arrived, it was really easy to set up (I had to use a Windows computer to set it up) and within the hour I was printing wirelessly from all of our computers. We have a mixture of computers, ranging from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard and Windows XP to Windows 7 and all work flawlessly (unlike another review has mentioned).

The prints are very clear and crisp, and I can't believe how fast it is compared to my old Cannon Inkjet at printing black and white! Colour is quite a bit slower, but not painfully slow.

Toner (as can be expected) is on the expensive side, at between £38 and £41 per cartridge, but I can't see myself having to buy them very often.
1313 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had this sat on my desk for a couple of weeks now and am jolly happy with it. It works much as a laser printer should. Paper goes in a tray at the base (it takes about 150 sheets, up to A4, along with label sheets and photo paper) and pops out a slot at the top.

Beware! When you take the printer out of the box, the paper tray is neatly tucked away leaving the printer with a nice cubical profile as per the product's photos. BUT! when you pull the tray out to load it with paper you will find that it doesn't go all the way back in - it sticks out by a few inches rather spoiling the look if the thing and crucially taking up more space. This is normal and don't try to force the tray all the way back in as I did - you could break it.

The whole thing connects to your PC via the usual USB link: your PC will take some time to download the necessary drivers but initial setup is quick and easy. Wireless printing is possible, but I must admit that I haven't explored this function particularly carefully. As far as I can tell the printer has its own internal wifi which wifi enabled devices can connect to. I tried this with my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab and it works well enough. You will need to download the Samsung wifi print app from Google's app store onto the device and then switch your device's wifi connection from your home broadband signal to the printer's signal. The app will then send the image or file to the prnter for printing. A single 5MP photo printed at A4 did take rather a long time to print and I suspect that it may be quicker to transfer documents to the laptop for a more conventional printing approach.

Image quality is... fine. I can't say that I am able to compare it with much else - my elderly deskjet was well past its sell-by date anyway. I'm pretty sure that the quality is as good, if not better than our office printers (which we use to print customer reports). The text quality is certainly lovely - crisp and sharp at 10 points and quite readable at less. The colour quality and resolution is also good - easily acceptable for home publishing and you may well want to consider dialling the quality back to save toner (see later).

There is some software to download which includes a printer manager. This is quite important as it wll allow you to monitor and manage the useage of toner. Now. The requirement for and cost of consumables should be a huge consideration if you're looking at buying one of these. The printer takes four toner cartridges and one waste cartridge. These are:
CLT-K406S: Black
CLT-C406S: Cyan
CLT-M406S: Magenta
CLT-Y406S: Yellow
CLT-W406: Waste

The cost of these will of course vary and you can follow the links to the Amazon product pages for each to find the current price, but as of October 2012, replacing all five cartridges will cost you very nearly 200 squid! Just about twice the price of the printer itself. The life of the toner cartridges is clamed to be about 1000 colour pages and 1500 black and white pages (the waste cartridge will last about 7000 pages). I can't testify as to the lifespan of the "starter" cartridges that come with the boxed printer but it will almost certainly be somewhat less. My plan will be to buy a single replacement cartridge every month or so until I have a full spare set. Alternatively, you can probably source recycled cartridges at a lower price.

The printer comes without a printed manual, but you can download it from the CD or from the Samsung website.

Overall, this is a decent printer and gets four stars but loses one for the replacement toner cartridge cost.
88 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2012
I have only taken delivery of this printer today so I can't give a full review, so I plan to update in a few months or so.

However, I wanted to write to say that my initial search for a printer that ticked all the boxes was actually a bit of a mission. I wanted a wireless colour laser that was reasonably priced with toner that didn't cost the earth... I think this printer ticks most of these boxes but I am concerned about the lack of suppliers for the toner this printer uses.

Samsung themselves don't sell it (why?) and only one seller on Amazon Marketplace sells it. The other options are specialist online ink retailers. I am wondering why if this printer is quite a new model why isn't it more readily available, and where are the compatibles/refill options for those of us who don't want to pay £140 for a set of toners? If anyone knows something I don't I'd love to hear.

However, on first impressions this printer is amazing. The print quality is outstanding and it's a very attractive machine which was very easy to set up. I will update with more usage.

Update 26/12/13 - I've had this for over a year now and it's been good. Although, not sure if it's me being un-techy but I did have some issues with getting the manual duplex to work. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall all the drivers and update the firmware etc but the option is there again now, not too sure what happened there but it was sooo annoying.

I am now onto my first full-size, full-price cartridges after using the ones up that came with the printer. I paid £120 for a full set which broke my heart given I only paid about £85 for the printer itself. I must look into getting refills for next time. Overall the Wi-Fi functionality is good, the printer sits in the corner snoozing and wakes up as soon as I print anything without me having to get up. I've had a couple of paper jams which were really easy to sort. The mobile print app I've got on my phone is good too, but then I can't say I often need to print from the phone to be honest. I would recommend the printer but I do wonder what alternatives there is as far as running costs go.
on 5 October 2012
Purchased this Laser printer because the office is getting turned into a nursery. Its easy to set up from my laptop. My wife and I have downloaded the android samsung mobile print app from the google play store, which works perfect. And I also have the app on my ipad. Because the printer is wireless it can be put anywhere with a wifi signal (we have it on our fridge freezer). Although you need to set it up with a usb cable. The print results were better than expected, great photos printed direct from my wife's phone!
on 7 November 2012
So-so print quality and average running costs I can live with, but the fact that the wireless DOES NOT WORK on Samsung printers is a disgrace.

I have a houseful of wi-fi devices, all of which function flawlessly - except this printer. Every time I try to print something to it, the printer is offline, and even when you pull the plug and restart it, more times than not it still refuses to print wirelessly. This is the second Samsung printer I've had that simply does not work over wi-fi - this one will also go in the rubbish bin when I have to replace the toners. Talking of which, what kind of crazy world do we live in where it's cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the toners?

Verdict: less than average print quality, value and speed - avoid if wireless is a "must have" feature. This is the last Samsung printer I will ever buy.
on 4 January 2013
I am considered a power user, so was surprised, after 5 hours of trying, to be unable to install this printer to my wireless network. I tried all available methods but none worked.
Next day I borrowed a Windows XP PC. Hooked up with USB as per the instructions and was installed in less than 2 minutes. It turns out that part of the installation program for Macs is missing a vital bit of section 10 ie "Click Wireless Network Setting Button on the User Options Pane". There is no such button, so you cannot get beyond this point. Also aggravating is that all applications must be quit to run the installer app, so you cant even have the instructions on screen to follow. I had to read them on my iPad (having found them on Samsung's website. Generally 5 hours of my life I wont get back because someone at Samsung didn't bother to check the installer works. This is for the CD included and the downloaded versions! Utterly frustrating.

If you cant get hold of a PC then best to avoid.
on 24 April 2014
I work for a small charity and we needed a colour printer in a hurry about 12 months ago. This was the only one I could get on the same day from Argos so I took a chance with it. It worked fine to begin with but has had to go back for repair three times in the past 12 months. Two out of these three times Samsung said either the paper I was using was damp or the paper was the wrong type. They said they would charge if I sent it back again. I bought the most expensive paper out there which is specifically for colour lasers, we are now in the spring months and the print quality is absolutely awful still, the building where it is kept is not damp. Also it isn't up to printing lots of pages in succession, it jams easily. The jamming problem has been annoying since day one. We use this only if we are desperate now and tend to rely on an old black and white Dell laser printer which is ten years old and still producing better quality print using recycled toner cartridges! Obviously with the Samsung I have not used recycled cartridges, so this is not the problem there! I would tell anyone to avoid buying this and also to avoid Samsung printers, the after support is appalling.
on 3 January 2013
I purchased this printer as it was reasonably priced and wireless. I am an advanced computer user and setting this up on my imac osx 10.5 took a painful and tedious 2hours. The available user guide both on the driver disk or printed 'quick-start' guide supplied and the Samsung product web site simply didn't tell me how to set the printer up wirelessly it was only after mining the Samsung user forums did I find a solution which meant I had to download a separate application to set it up and this took 4 attempts just guessing which settings to use each time. The extent of the instructions on the printed leaflet just showed an eye looking at some instructions in the wireless setup section with no decent instructions provided - anywhere. All of the bundled software is pretty clumsy and cheap-looking, using any of it requires more extensive Googling to find out what you have to do. The paper tray is plasticky and flimsy and the when the paper comes out of the printer it is severely warped due to the heat. The quality of the print is OK but not as good as my quicker Canon inkjet. I won't send this back as it's too much hassle, but quite how an inexperienced user would be able to set this up I really don't know.
on 11 March 2013
Prints great quality but will probably be expensive to run - but then, all colour lasers are expensive to run!! My only real gripe is that I can't believe that driver installation and setup can't be made quicker and easier. Same goes for loads of manufacturers though - sort it out!!
on 5 September 2012
I'm looking for a wireless laser printer as I need to share it with several housemates. Been looking at other printers but found out the new 365W has all features I want with low price tag. Have been using it for few days and am pleased.

See one answered question