on 14 June 2015
Sol Republic is a well known company that makes cool headphones aimed more at the younger generation, why? Because they look damn cool!

The Amps HD is a successor for the Amps which promises an overall improved sounding experience with deeper bass.

The Amps HD is a bit on the pricy side at 80 pounds (120 dollars) so you'd expect amazing results after shelling out this amount of money. First let's have a look at the build quality.

Build quality: 3/5

In a word, good. Neither great, nor bad. It looks well made and polished but feel plasticy and not the build quality that you'd expect at this price point.

The cable is flat and looks ok. The cable has volume controller and a button to pause/play music plus a mic for making calls. Again it's all plastic so don't expect them to survive any harsh treatments, (exercise wise).

Fit: 2/5

Fit? What fit? I hate to say this, but Sol Republic really flopped this time with the Amps fit and comfort.
They're painful to put on and don't stay in your ear. And kinda uncomfortable too. The reason for this is the odd shape of the earbud itself and the way it sits in your ear canal. Oh and there is this sharp plastic bump over the earbud which I have no idea why it's there in the first place. The whole thing sits uncomfortably and wouldn't see myself wearing it for long periods.

Sound quality: 4/5

Such a shame for a wonderful sound reproduction to have such a lousy fit. The sound is great with powerful low frequencies. I'm talking bass here.

Overall: 3/5

These are great sounding pair. However, their fit and comfort isn't up to standards. That's why it's 3 stars for me.
review image review image
on 26 August 2014
I bought them as i needed new headphones and they seemed nice change from Sennheiser, Sony, JVC, SoundMAGIC and Skullcandy witch i have owned, The design is bit different so it had couple of good reviews so though i would try. My first impression was that the box they came in was big and nice looking like they were higher quality but thats about all i really liked about them.

Pros:
-They look different and the build quality overall seems strong.

Cons:
-For the price sound quality is nothing special, in my opinion worse than SoundMAGIC PL11 witch are lot cheaper.
-They look nice but they are big and chunky and the plastic part that has the logo on feels really cheap also it has small see through plastic bit on the top that i hate just by touching it it seems very cheap and unnecessary.
-Price i got them for 37 pounds the amazons original price is £79.99 and that would be in my opinion hugely overpriced.
-And for me while i walk the want to pop out of my ears because of the weight of Mic + Music Control, so not impressed.

Conclusion: They are usable and look ok, sound quality is also ok but nothing special i am a bit sad that i didnt by SoundMAGIC again, I will still use them while sitting and working but next time i will choose something else.
on 14 January 2016
I bought a set of these-they broke after a few months. I applied for them to be mended because they were under warranty and manufacturer told me that because I bought them I(here !) From an unofficial salesperson they were not under warranty. And I told them I had blog the 20,000 followers and they sent me a new pair from the US -unfortunately customs charged me tax for them to get through... They arrived finally and two months later they broke. A total waste of money, and appalling customer service.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2014
My mum loves the sound these earphone have...would encourage more people to try SOL Republic earphones as they are by far the best around...x
on 20 March 2015
Worked great for about 3 months & willing to forgive the fact that the ear pieces would fall out with the slightest movement. Now only fit for the bin as they produce a distorted inaudible sound. Worst purchase I have ever made and Trusted-Goods who I bought them from off Amazon Marketplace didn't give a toss! Avoid these ear headphones!
on 14 January 2016
These are BIG and won't appeal to everyone, they certainly have the looks and quality is fine but other competitors in this price range offer better sound and fit.
on 8 September 2014
Fab sound! Fab fit!! Only slight irritation is the control not sitting flat, rather it sits "sideways on". Otherwise I'd give them 5* Love them :-)
on 29 August 2014
I recently purchased these headphones and to be honest... I expected more, the sound isn't to my linking and they have some serious design issues.

The sound didn't match my personal taste, they are very bass heavy and can feel overpowering. A few of my bassier songs sounded great, but music with vocals suffers.
The sound is slightly muffled and seems unable to match the volume of other sets of ear-buds. Although not to my liking I appreciate the quality of the sound for bass-heads however. If you like bass then these earphones have the sound signature you're looking for.

Now the design: The initial aesthetics of these earbuds look great (although they look a bit goofy when actually worn due to large design of the plates, with decent build quality, angled connector, flat anti-tangle cable fitted with an in-line remote and mic. The manufacturer will even send you free ear-tips if you lose or break those included.

The in-line remote and mic. and angle connector both work great, but...

The anti-tangle cable with it's large surface area causes some of the loudest ear-thump I have ever heard, when walking, even when the cable merely brushes the torso you are greeted with loud thumping which distracts from music making it unlistenable.

I also found the earbuds slipping from my ears far too easily and often caused them to ache, again detracting from the experience of listening to music.

The included case and carabiner clip initially look great and perform well, but the rubberised material attracts dust and hairs causing both to stick to them, in a typical day the case would need wiping down regularly.

To summarise:

+Great bass
+Nice Aesthetics
+In-line remote and mic perform well
+Free eartips for life

- Bass can be overpowering for certain songs
- Case becomes dirty often
- Often fell out of ears - (Bad for running with)
- Intense Ear-thump
- Can hurt after listening for a while.
- Can look a bit goofy to wear due to the large size of the plates.

Because of this I am returning these earphones immediately.
on 5 December 2015
Quality looks of a cheap build and bigger in size than expected , buttons are not compatible with Android phones.
on 4 July 2014