on 31 May 2013
I enjoyed this as much as the earlier Dandy Gilver books, possibly more. It is, as usual, a barely-believable romp, but Dandy is such a convincing character - with Nanny’s severe upbringing continually conflicting with her wistful longings for silk clothes and bedroom fires - and the twists and turns of the plot are so page-turning that the unlikelihood of a school where the girls are better treated than the teachers and the head is raking in money by means only discovered in the last pages only adds to the fun.
on 30 September 2014
I loved it. I've loved them all. Good stories, intelligent writing, great characters.
If you're someone of great age, like myself, or a film buff, then think William Powell and Myrna Loyesque dialogue.
They will not change the world at large, they will not change your life. But they will brighten up your day.
Put the kettle on, dig out the shortbread, enjoy a well written yarn with more than it's fair share of humour (I admit, I'm sick and tired of hard boiled, flawed character types...you may gather them together and put them where the sun doesn't shine.)
Hooray for Dandy.
on 6 April 2015
A great story set in an unusual context and thankfully eschewing one of the more obvious, current-fixations as the badness in the story. Nice texture and good details, with the usual rich feeling of being in Edwardian Scotland.
on 10 April 2013
I collect this authors books .She is a great writer .I would recommend these books especially if you like mysteries.
on 27 February 2013
I have all the books in this series and found this one as good as the others. I would recommend it.
on 5 March 2013
This came in the time allowed. I have read all the books in this series and really enjoyed tem all. They are typically English 1920's but with a bit of a twist (the detective is a woman), the mysteries are good and they are an easy read and hard to put down. I love to read curled up in bed at the end of a stressful day and don't want anything too hard to read or too graphic or gory, theses hit the spot for me. I look forward to the next book. Very happy.
on 3 August 2016
not easy to read. Does not flow.
Had to re-start twice having lost interest.
Want to read whole book because I know the background school but it is an effort.
on 18 November 2014
Very well written with likable main characters and good plot. Also some humorous descriptions. I look forward to reading more by this author.
on 12 June 2016
An excellent and chilling not to say freezing mystery solved in good form by H&O. Also interesting social history of a list industry.
on 26 June 2012
This is Catriona McPhersons 5th book but my first time reading her work and being introduced to Dandy Gilver. Dandy is a female detective who works along side with her male partner (and it isn't her husband!). She is asked for help from her old friends to find their sister who is in a small village working as a teacher. What follows is murder, lies deceit and a who done it with Dandy leading the way.

When I started this I didn't think I was going to like it, it is set in the late 1920s or early 1930s and phrases like "One has to think what one has to say" and I am really not into that kind of pompous narrative. However it fits with the time period and I soon got used to it, also Dandy is quite amusing in some of her antics and what she says that you warm up to the story and the character(s) fairly quickly.

It is a slow paced story with lots of little things happening but no big thrills or murders throughout for the most part. For me it reminded me of murder she wrote, lots of investigating into little things and pretense by the main character to get her answers. Whilst it went along slowly there was something about this wee story that I didn't want to put it down and when all is revealed I was surprised by the who done it which is always a good thing I feel. 3/5 for me this time. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for introducing me to this author and giving me the chance to review this book.