Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 2 October 2012
I bought this lens recently from Amazon to replace my aging but reliable 5 years old non-stabalised Tamron 18-250mm zoom lens, i`m getting older now lolol, and find that i could not hold my Canon EOS 650D without the shakes, WOW!!!! this Sigma offering is totaly superb, the build quality is astonishing, built as, if not better than some of the Canons, It is near silent in operation and the image stabilizing is in one word FANTASTIC!!! what a difference, and my pictures are sharper, more so than the Tamron, i had read quite a few reviews on this new Sigma, near all resulting in 4-5 stars and also how a good few reviewers claimed this Sigma was better than the Tamron 18-270mm vc zoom lens (its main competitor) which seemed to get mixed reviews with a few reviewers only giving it around three stars, so after all the reading and u-tube reviews it was the Sigma for me, and boy! am i glad i bought it, it has never been off my 650D since day one and i put a 62mm Hoya UV filter on it the moment i took it out of the box, also Sigma, as far as i know at the moment of writing this, are offering a free 3 year guarantee on all their lenses, all you do is visit their website, enter the serial number of the lens, and where and when purchased, thats it, they confirm your guarantee by E-Mail, good on Sigma for this free guarantee (but check their website to see if the free offer is still current) All in all i HIGHLY RECOMMEND this lens, in my opinion the high quality results it produces negates the need to change lenses in most cases, why change lenses when you only need one, and also a special mention for Amazon for great communications and doing their utmost in getting the Sigma and super fast delivering it when they did, as they were having difficuly obtaining stock, and also well done to Sigma for showing some lens manufacturers how its done.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
99 Comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2014
I have a Canon EOS 60D and an EOS 100D, the latter being the more recent purchase as I wanted a good quality but fairly compact camera. As I have used Canon DSLRs for a few years, I have a few Canon lenses in addition to the standard 18-55 kit lens - I have the 28-135IS and also the 70-300IS. However, ahead of a two week family holiday to Canada, I opted for the Sigma as I wanted 1 universal lens that would cover all bases and that I could use with the 100D. First impressions are that the lens is lightweight but well made and, in my opinion, build quality is up there with the Canon lenses I am familiar with. The lens was put through its paces via c500 shots on holiday, which covered landscapes, people and a whale watching excursion, which saw the zoom used to its maximum.

Having got back and reviewed my photos, I am delighted with the results. The Sigma IS system seems to work really well and shots are crisp with good colour across the full spectrum of the lens' range. The fact that the lens is so compact and light made it a joy to travel with and, as an added bonus, I could (just) fit the 100D and this lens in the standard Canon wraparound case for the camera, saving the hassle associated with carrying/using the usual LowePro zoom case.

Perhaps if you are using really high-end gear then the limitations of this lens could be exposed but I am delighted with my purchase and it meets all of my needs. Highly recommended.
on 7 June 2014
I take my Canon 600D everywhere, but often found I needed a longer lens than the 18-135mm supplied with the camera. I did not want to carry and change different lenses, especially as I often have 2 dogs in tow, and this is the perfect replacement. I chose this, rather than the Tamron 18-275mm after reading the reviews of both. After 3 months of use, I am very peased indeed with the quality - it serves my purpose perfectly. It is not, and not intended to be, a specialist lens. Macro images are quite reasonable provided you don't get too close, but not as good a dedicated macro lens would provide, and for regularly photographing wildlife a longer lens would be required,but this is an excellent compromise for general photography. It feels to be the same size and weight as the 18-135mm, but is much more flexible. Having fallen over onto slabs with camera and lens in my hand, just 2 days after purchase, I can confirm that it is quite robust. The ultimate recommendation - my wife, a seriously enthusiastic photographer with a range of lenses, is considering purchasing one.
on 3 April 2015
Camera arrived well packed and on time, I have now used this lens for a few weeks and I am very impressed with it up to now, the lens is clear and by using the settings on my Sony a57 camera have taken some very good photos.
I have found that I use aperture settings most so I can control the iso settings when taking indoor shots, now the spring has arrived I am looking forward to using this lens outside.
I cannot compare with any other lens but for the price and quality of pictures I would recommend this lens for anyone.
on 9 August 2013
I like the lens for its quality and range, which I require for video. The autofocus is good, manual focus fine, smooth action. The Zoom however, is not quite perfect. It sticks in several places in the range, making it impossible to effect a smooth zoom during video takes. You have to grip it in a vice of steel to force it to be smooth. Does it ever loosen up?
After putting up with the stickyness for a week or two I contacted Amazon who very obligingly and very quickly sent me a replacement. This also was a bit sticky, though smoother than the first one.
on 29 October 2015
So far, this is a very good lens! Does what is asked of it to a very good standard. As has been stated before, the only negative point is that the zoom ring turns the opposite way to any lens I have had in the past, which is a bit tricky if you're trying to get a photo of a moving grandchild, as I often "try"! That's the only negative though!
on 13 May 2014
I purchased this lens as a replacement for my old Sigma 28 - 200 lens when I bought a new Canon EOS 60D. The zoom range on this lens gives me a wider angle at one end and a longer lens at the telephoto end. Sigma have done a fantastic job in making this lens smaller and lighter in weight than my previous one and the Optical Stability feature is very useful for handheld shots at the extreme end of the telephoto range. There is also a lock which prevents the lens from sliding open when carrying it, something I used to find particularly annoying on the old lens. All in all a worthy match for Canon's own lens at a very good price.
on 14 January 2015
Got this as a Christmas present and so far not had any issues with it - very lightweight compared to tamron lens and as does 18-250 can reduce the number of lens carrying about for casual photographs - not sure how long sigma are doing the free offer for filter, but if still doing then definitely worth the price
on 3 September 2015
Great lens but I was a bit disappointed that at 250mm the zoom magnification was just less than my Sony 55mm - 200mm lens at 200mm range. I contacted Sigma and they explained that it was due to"FOCUS BREATHING" and the illustrations they showed indicated the problem. I was more interested in the focus range of 18mm - 250mm so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't cause much of a problem.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2015
For the price you can't knock this lens. It gives clear sharp images and is easy to use, it is also very light given the focal range.

If you can't afford to pay 5 times the price for a high end lens, this will do a good job for you.