Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 8 September 2012
I am a Supertramp's fan since the mid-seventies. In my opinion this DVD is an absolute treasure. I never expected that this vintage live would ever be released on video. It fills me in on what I missed in my younger years. The Paris concert really brings back memories and reminds us all of just how great Supertramp was! They were the greatest songwriters, as well as best live players in music history. These guys are classic!!
The concert footage is great considering the amount of time that has passed. The sound quality is outstandingly done in Dolby Digital and DTS Surround. Five stars all the way.
If you are Supertramp fan get this now!
on 31 August 2012
I confess to finding Roger Hodgson's lengthy critique of the history of Supertramp's demise rather tedious.
Yes,it is wrong that former band members have gone behind his back, however he should see this concert release for what it is. A long awaited offering to all fans of a truly excellent performance carefully and successfully transferred to DVD.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and well worth 5 stars.
The reviewer who gave it only 1 out of 5 in support of Hodgson's troubles as distinct from any ability to enjoy this DVD for what it is, is lamentable. One would suspect he is linked to Hodgson (?) or his fight against the release.
Anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable purchase.
on 1 September 2012
I have been a Supertramp since the mid 70's and saw the classic line - up at Plymouth ABC and Wembley Arena and have seen Rick ,John and Bob's Supertamp a few times and Roger both solo and with band......and will carrying on going to see them as long as they perform shows......This release will please all Supertramp fan's, it's taken almost 33 years for us to see it and yes, it's worth the wait....Peter Henderson and Russell Pope have done an amazing restoration job.
I have read Roger's 'rant' about this release and have to say that I just can't share his opinion this time......the DVD is fantastic, this is Supertramp at their very best, the quality of their musicianship is obvious and to describe them as well-drilled is a real understatement. Highly recommended.....
on 9 September 2012
Enough of the politicking boys...this product is simply beautiful in it's artistry from a band who's songwriters wrote perfect pop songs and captured the spirit of a time I will always remember fondly. I never got to see these guys live so I was really looking forward to this release. I am saddened by all the back biting, just let your fans enjoy your brilliance. Everyone knows who wrote what songs. Rick, Roger and the rest of the band do not disappoint! This is a celebration of a combination of talents. Remember it's been over 30 years and the original sound team and film itself, brought back the time when every part of the musical experience mattered. The sound and performances are amazing and Supertramp as a whole look like the geniuses they were.

If you love Supertramp and don't buy this DVD you are crazy!
on 7 September 2012
For a film that was shot 33 years ago there really is nothing to complain about here. The color may not be as vibrant compared to today's standards but the sound is superb. The audio and video synch is perfect. You get a 100 minute concert on video and the remaining 5 songs, which were not filmed, are included as audio tracks. The band is in good spirits and appear to be having the time of their life. John is, at times, hilarious as the frontman, ringleader and spokesman for the group while Roger and Rick are comfortable being who they are as Dougie and Bob keep the train rolling down the track. The extras - ape, banana, chaplin, clown, superman, cop, burglar and background singers are all on cue and add to the festivities. What struck me the most about this show is the quality of the vocal harmony. These guys are not only outstanding musicians but they can sing and the sound they make together is both unique and beautiful! If you decide not to own a copy of this film for, whatever your reason, then you surely will be missing out on a magical moment in musical history. I now have it - I have watched it - I love it - and for me, that settles it. End of story - so far...
on 11 September 2012
If it wasn't for Supertramp, back in the mid to late 70's I might have been turned off of music forever. They were THE musical bright spot for me during my high school years. Everything else back then was just 100% crap. That's why when this concert was made available, I just had to have it. I was never able to see the band live...until now.

The sound was incredible!!! There wasn't a single moment during the entire concert that I couldn't hear each distinctive note of every instrument!! I have never EVER heard sound of that quality before!!! Hats off to the sound production.

I really felt like I was there. When the film went to long range shots, yes it got a little grainy...but it added a realistic element for me...like I was in the back of the crowd, dancing about.

The only shame for me was the DVD "extras"...since it would have been so much better if they could have had more live footage, or time, or money to make the concert complete. However, the sound on those additional five songs was of the same incredible quality as the rest of the production!

I saw Roger live a couple of years ago in a very intimate setting, and he was truly amazing. However, the contrast of Rick's music was something that show lacked. This trip back in time to Paris (where I'd never been) has completed me.
99 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2012
Just watched the bluray - I'd agree with the other comments about the picture quality its definitely looks more like 16mm film it annoyed me at first but after a while I found it quite endearing, the sound mix on 5.1 is fabulous, I was too young to be allowed to see this concert but I'm glad I have, they genuinely love being in Paris, with the attempts at humour in french. the whole show is excellent, really enjoyed the extra tracks which weren't actually filmed. A true treasure for a Supertramp fan.
on 2 December 2012
In 1974 as a mere boy of 16 I heard Supertramps 'Crime Of The Century' LP for the first time & it
fast became one on my favourite albums that year (along with Eric Clapton's '461 Ocean Boulevard' & Queens 'Sheer Heart Attack') & remains a firm favourite to this day.

So you can imagine my excitment when I heard of this recently released `Live In Paris '79' DVD by Supertramp. Given the film technology of the day, is simply marvellous. OK, some of the band `long shot' footage looks a bit grainy & out of focus, but the `close up' footage is brilliant. Although great care has been taken in remastering the film footage, where this DVD really scores is in the audio remastering, which makes this DVD a must buy for any serious fan of Supertramp.

The song track list is fantastic, taking all the hit songs & more up to that point of time in 1979, including many from the fore mentioned `Crime Of The Century' LP, with some nice bonus material as well.

Highly recommended release & the NTSC format DCD played on my DVD player without a hitch.
on 6 June 2013
I've had this disc since the early New Year, being the Xmas present I didn't receive. Having seen Roger Hodgson two weeks ago at London's RAH, this time with a band, I thought it was time to play this. The Blu-ray picture quality is terrific as is the sound. The only thing that this DVD makes me a little sad about, is that it shows what a brilliant electric guitarist Roger is but sadly it's only the acoustic guitar these days for his solo shows. I guess it was Rick Davies's songs that were grittier, which demanded the electric guitar sound. Still this makes up for it, as both writers contribute great songs. I will add that the 'extras' contain songs recorded at the same time but don't have actual film of them playing those tracks, so photos, etc are used in place. Worth buying all the same!
on 4 September 2012
the perceptive fans out there know full well that the artistic disagreements between Roger & Rick are so complex that the delay of the release of this superb document in part is due to their inability to reach a compromise. We fans can do nothing to change this, and whilst the shenanigans of the music business is nothing new, we fans are so thrilled to get this historic recording finally, I am sorry it effects Roger & Rick so negatively....the sound & vision is our saviour!
I can recall some years back campaigning to get David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust movie released, and that wasn't Bowie objecting, but apparently (allegedly) Jeff Beck objecting to the clothes he (Jeff) was wearing on the night, and his performance (which was amazing)...and a issue using a section of the Beatles 'Love Me Do' in the Jean Genie caused no end of delay...the outcome?..both bits are cut-out, but it's better the vast majority of the show is out for the fans.

So let's all move on, leave Roger & Rick to deal with their fair & reasonable, creative & artistic right to disagree.

Just keep the product coming....particularly when it's this good...in an often world of mediocrity