Customer reviews

on 29 November 1997
Widow Mrs. Melita Pargeter decides to have a country home built for her from the inheritance she received upon the death of her beloved, but definitely crooked spouse. She hires a crony of her late husband, Concrete Jacket, to build her house. Of course, being an associate of Mr. P, Concrete is a felonious individual, who respects just about no one. However, this is Mr. P's widow, so he treats Mrs. P with the utmost esteem and honor that can be bestowed on such a VIP.
There are three basic laws of life: You are born; you die; and Concrete gets into criminal trouble during a construction job. This time, in spite of Concrete's vows to stay clean (at least during the job), a corpse is found in the newly built wine cellar. All the evidence points towards Concrete as being the culprit and he is doing nothing to counteract the charges. Even at the risk of her life, Mrs. P decides to prove her employee is innocent, but first she must figure out why Erasmus the monkey is residing with her in her plush London hotel room.
The Mrs. Pargeter English cozies are one of the finest series (if not the finest) in the sub-genre. Mrs. P and her cohorts are humorous and seem to always land in jocular (for us the reader), but grave (for Mrs. P and company) scenarios. The fourth entry, MRS. PARGETER'S PLOT, is the best of this exemplary collection. Fans of humorous or English cozies should try Simon Brett's Mrs. P books because they are the royalty of the sub-genre.
Harriet Klausner
on 18 March 2014
I've read all the Mrs Pargeter books more than once and I wish there were more, I really like them. Like the others, this one was rather far-fetched, but a nice light undemanding holiday read, with a lot of humour. Kindle version was rather expensive though.
on 24 April 2013
As usual Mrs P gets caught up in adventrues that she never really intended to. I love all of the nicknames for the colleagues of the late Mr. P, very imaginative of Mr Brett. A good book to add to the series.
on 25 October 2013
Extremely enjoyable, with humour and a good plot I am slowly getting through the all Simon Brett's books. A great way to pass the time if you can't be bothered watching TV. Highly recommended.
on 24 June 2013
I dont think I will be buying any more of these Books, I just couldn't get into them at all. I found them quite boring . JUst not my kind of Book I'm afraid.
on 11 December 2012
Really enjoyed this book, I discovered the series when given my kindle and have enjoyed them all so far. Mrs Pargeter is a very interesting character.
on 11 October 2012
Amazon sent out the order quickly and it is a treat to read a lighter, humorous detective novel. No psychpathic or black actions, just sheer delight.
on 13 June 2013
Humour, as in all Simon Brett's books. It is light, escapist, holiday reading. No bad language, just sheer good fun. A great quick read.
on 11 November 2014
The Mrs. Pargeter's books are usually very amusing as well as being good detective stories and this one is one of my favourites.
on 18 May 2013
I love Mrs Pargeter as she is almost the same age as me although much braver! Will definitely read more of her in the future.