on 7 November 2013
This book was easy to read, pick up and put down etc. At first I wasn't sure I liked it but as I read on I really liked how it was written, like a gentle stream of simple pretty ideas. Painting your broom handle a nice colour really stood out for me ! I looked at mine and there it was stood up against the wall all dull looking and brown, I would never have thought of painting it to add the joy of colour to something I use every day, and there is something special about sweeping your kitchen floor ! The little things really can make a difference, little touches of thoughtfulness here and there. I think I will read it again, it was a very pleasant read !
3 people found this helpful
on 9 March 2014
I'm currently decorating my house and have got so many beautiful, simple creative ideas from this book. I loved it so much I read it cover to cover and planned out my whole year in puttery treats. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's a gorgeous book and I can't wait to get started making my home my sanctuary.
on 6 August 2013
Chose this book as I love all things vintage, homemade and scrumptious! Was also a very cheap kindle purchase. Absolutely loved every word! Such a fascinating book jam packed with wonderful ideas to help create a perfectly charming home with ideas such as creating your own reading basket to beautiful ways to make your children smile. Couldn't stop reading this book and was sad when I reached the end (although I will read again and again) ! Thoroughly recommend for any "housekeeper" who would like some good old fashioned charm back in their house and their life.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2013
I don't quite know why, but having this on my Kindle is like carrying around a bit of home. A lovely little book full of nostalgia and love that has made this decidedly non-domestic woman want to nest with the best of them.

Utterly delicious and comforting to dip into when feeling stressed - I'm transported straight back into my much-loved home to waft lavender and love about - instead of being on a crowded train or taking a rushed lunch.

A lovely treat to keep on your Kindle - thank you for this Alison!
One person found this helpful
on 18 March 2013
Who would have thought a book like this could be life changing?! Seeing the beauty in the everyday ordinary things and being grateful can be hard, but Alison's ideas, treats and inspiration make it that little bit easier. When we learn to give thanks in all things our lives change for the better. There is much more great stuff from the author at her blog BrocanteHome.
on 17 June 2017
What a lovely treat to read, inspiration and comfort in a book, perfect for every season and for everyone who loves their home. I am going to try so many of the ideas and inspirations in this lovely lovely book.
on 4 May 2015
This book has plenty of tips and hints for vintage lovers but I got bored flicking through it. Wouldn't recommend
3 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2016
If you are a homemaker with spare time, here's some ideas to fill it. Totally unrelatable to me as I work full time and have a young family. Significant overuse of the word 'scrumptious'
One person found this helpful
on 16 June 2013
What planet does this woman live on? It is good and has good ideas for housekeeping. I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to agree gingham around my house!
2 people found this helpful
on 5 March 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book & didn't want it to end. Can't wait to read the other books too now