Customer reviews

on 22 April 2017
Not as good as I thought
on 9 December 2010
This is the 5th album O'Sullivan released in the 70s. His wells of inspiration didn't seem to dry up even after writing so many highly original and unforgettable songs. This album starts with the characteristic intro song followed by 'You got me going', and 'Tomorrow Today' immediately made an impression on me by the striking freshness of a new kind of lyricism, quite different from the songs in the previous albums. 'I remember once','That's where I belong', and 'My love and I' share the same nostalgic yearning. Another memorable song 'Miss my love today' with the hauntingly atmospheric electric piano accompaniment confirms that Gilbert O'Sullivan has pushed a boundary of his artistry further into a new realm.
on 12 January 2008
Southpaw was released in 1977, with music in Britain undergoing some radical changes and Gilbert's popularity fading from the heights achieved in the early 70's. However, this album is packed full of fabulous melodies, great hooks, touching lyrics and infectuous musicianship and it is a mystery why it didn't yield several hit singles and put Mr O'Sullivan firmly back in the public eye.

Both sides (in the old days, kids, the music was divided between each side of the disc and you had to turn it over!) start with a short and catchy intro, as was Gilbert's habit, and the first track proper is one of Gilbert's hardest rockers, You Got Me Going. This is followed by a pair of excellent wistful songs, No Telling Why (unusually sung from the point of view of a man who has stolen another man's wife) and Tomorrow Today, returns to rock with The Best Fun I Ever Had, and ends with a strange but haunting "social commentary" song I Remember Once. Rock also kicks off side 2 with I Of Course Replied, and is followed by a pair of truly classic songs, up there with the best - That's Where I Belong and My Love And I (which delivers one of my favourite lyrics "Whatever happened to our world, where making love meant holding hands"). The set switches back to upbeat rock with If I Can't Have You All To Myself, and ends with the organ-driven song Miss My Love Today, which was chosen as the single.

If you only know Gilbert O'Sullivan from his numerous "Greatest Hits" packages you would be very pleasantly surprised if you listened to some of his albums, as there's a wealth of hidden classics. Just as the Beatles "1" can in no way tell the story of the greatest band in history, so "The Berry Vest" and its ilk cannot truly convey Gilbert's songcraft. He has continued to record and release some excellent music since his heyday in the 70's and retains a very loyal and devoted fanbase - you will understand why if you give this album a chance!
on 20 January 2017
How do I feel about the 1977 ‘Southpaw’ album? The way I see it, two great songs outshine the rest of the material; the ballads ‘Tomorrow Today’ and ‘Miss My Love Today’. Whilst the latter was released as a single, it is hard to understand why the former was not. ‘Tomorrow Today’ is Gilbert at his best, like ‘Got to be that way’ on the 1982 album ‘Life & Rhymes’.

There ARE other decent tracks, especially the up-tempo single ‘You Got Me Going’, but also the ballads ‘That’s Where I Belong’ and ‘I Remember Once’.

This reissued CD has been almost doubled in length, with the addition of a few little-known singles which probably did not trouble the charts too much at the time. I had previously heard the A side ‘I’ll Believe It When I See It’ (8/75) from a ‘best of ‘ compilation; this 5 minute plus song with brass and backing singers is one of the best bonus tracks, along with another A side ‘To Each His Own’ (10/76). The 5 flip-sides here really do sound like ‘B sides’ unfortunately, and the lengthy A side ‘Doing What I Know’ (8/76) sounds like a flop.

This expanded 2012 reissue is another worthwhile release in the series, with good sound, but the original album is not quite as good as some would have you believe, with (at most) 3 tracks surpassing the others.
on 2 February 2013
What can you say about this man? Fantastic singer/songwriter still has what it takes to get you humming or singing along.
on 27 April 2016
probably Gilbert's last good album, some good tunes and most of the bonus tracks are pretty decent too
one quibble though with the whole reissues of O'Sullivan's work : how come the Christmas single is not included on any cd?
on 21 April 2014
Have most of his albums but somehow missed this one but its an absolute cracker If you like Gilbert don't miss this one !