Colour: Silver|Change

This apple superdrive is no good and it is over priced, technology has advanced but this apple superdrive has not. you can buy a usb 3.0 that is compatible with usb 2.0 that will do a much better job.

I have bought this apple superdrive and a superdrive from a fairly unknown brand which i took a gamble on and this fairly unknown brand superdrive out performed the apple super drive in every way...

overall the apple superdrive is almost ready for the technology museum and is rapidly being replaced with far more advanced technology even apple have stopped using apple superdrives in their imacs, laptops, etc...

I write reviews to help fellow customers. I hope you found my review helpful.
on 14 May 2017
Great addition to the i mac mini , it writes, reads dvd , cd-rw etc and very slim line it sits on top of the i mac mini with ease.! also a bonus to extra power cable was'nt needed ! all through usb cable which i hace to admit isn't very long
on 28 May 2017
No lights or buttons. Plug and go. Is not compatible with all MacBooks so you may need a patch as I did but the machine is excellent good quality
on 20 May 2017
Did what i needed
on 4 January 2017
Was a bit dubious due to the price but plug in and play, works a treat👍
on 14 May 2016
Perfect!
on 14 June 2016
Possibly a fake?

I plugged the drive into my Mac mini and inserted a DVD. This was immediately ejected as the drive wouldn't read it. I opened Finder to see what the drive was called and saw that it named it 'Matsushita CD/CDRW' whereas my partner's SuperDrive (from an Apple Shop) is called 'Apple SuperDrive'. Hence it would seem that not only was it not a genuine product but also it was not even a DVD drive. The front of the drive was also slightly bent.

I then compared the box (on the left in the photo) with that of my partner's drive and noticed that the fonts were different, the drawing was not printed well and also one of the stickers had been applied crooked (something which Apple would not do). Thankfully, the order was fulfilled by Amazon so I have requested a refund. I may have been unlucky with the one I got but have decided to get a replacement from an Apple shop.
review image review image review image
on 29 July 2016
Awful - seriously defective piece of Hardward I've been sent; it never worked & was completely knackered as soon as I opened it. It still has a CD of mine inside I can't get out of it (no eject button - silly design). I rang Apple tech support - I have to take it into an Apple store to see if they can force the CD out. I can't return it to Amazon either because I need to get this CD out first. Incredibly disappointed with Amazon & Apple.
on 17 August 2016
Doesn't work; all DVDs stop playing after a few seconds, displaying 'skipping over damaged areas', despite these DVDs having played successfully on other devices at home. Moreover- stuff happens, and I accept that other peoples' orders have been more successful than mine. What is however unacceptable is that the company completely ignored my communication with them, and because I was out of the Amazon one-month guarantee by the time I realised the device was failing with all DVDs, I'm now stuck with it. Be warned.
on 20 August 2016
This usb superdrive did not work!! As I rarely use this drive its fault was not apparent for a few weeks.However I had to go to my local Apple store in Belfast and they tested the item and indeed it was faulty.Apple are replacing it free of charge which is fine but maybe I should I should have bought from them in the first place which would have saved phone calls and journeys to belfast to have it replaced which by the way took them 10days !!!!!