on 4 September 2014
Little worried about buying this as there are so many bad comments on the forums. So far it has performed impeccably. Working as all my other Apple products do, they do just what it says on the box.
The main reason I finally bought this product rather than other far cheaper units is that all my kit is Apple and it made sense to buy something that is designed to work with Apple computers rather than something that I would probably need a third party piece of software to get it to work.
I have bought several CD's recently at vastly cheaper prices than downloading a digital version. Either new from Amazon or car boot sales. Coming up to saving the complete cost of the drive!
We will see if it is still doing the job in five years time.
on 7 September 2016
I have a Macbook Pro and needed a drive to rip CD's and burn DVD's etc, I had tried two of the cheaper alternatives with no joy, one didn't work at all, and the other was extremely noisy and very temperamental. This, the Apple Superdrive worked straight out of the box, is extremely quiet and has a quality feel about it, there maybe 'faster' drives out there, I'm not sure but I can't fault this drive. i guess you get what you pay for. thoroughly recommended!
on 9 August 2015
Works well but I have a few small issues with this which is disappointing for such an expensive product. I personally would have preferred a slightly longer cable as when using it with my Macbook on my lap it is hard to find a suitable position to put this without worrying about it not reaching or falling off my sofa. It isn't too bulky and has a sleek design, but there is no eject button which would have been handy. Although these issues are minor it is disappointing as Macbook users have no choice but to use an external disk drive at a hefty extra expense.
on 31 July 2016
First class up to know works well The only wee problem I had was when I plugged the device into the USB port nothing happened
did not register on the computer, and because there is no On light or any indication the device was working, but after a short time of elimination I worked it out, all I needed to do was insert a disc and Bobs your uncle and fanny's your Aunt away it went great.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 September 2015
A vast improvement on the fragile integrated player apple used to have in their workbooks which cost a fortune to repair when it failed - and fail it did. However the statement given me by the store that Apple didn't support the use of old fashioned media such as DVD's and CD's was rather irritating also the fact that you can't play HD blu ray either.
on 11 March 2015
I bought this and have tried playing 3 DVDs on it, the first one looked blurry, the second, it said it was corrupted even though it played fine on a work PC and the 3rd, a brand new film, didn't play at all. I am bummed I bought this and there appears to be no way of contacting the seller who IS NOT APPLE - I bought it thinking Apple was selling via Amazon, its not, its an import and now I am worried its a bad one. Buy from Apple store as getting this sorted is probably going to be impossible now :(
on 9 September 2017
Not cheap but it works well and looks really stylish
on 26 December 2015
Does what it says on the tin. The iMac recognizes it immediately and it works without any issues. It is astonishingly neat and compact, so much so that one wonders why the iMac didn't incorporate it in the first place. But 'shiny discs' are on the way out across the industry and one would usually only need an optical drive for legacy reasons.
Yes, it's good, but beware - it does not support Blu ray discs.
on 20 August 2017
excellent and good service
on 21 January 2016
Looks good, feels good, and works perfectly, as you would expect for its price. I'm glad I wasn't tempted to buy one of the cheaper clones. The cord is very short and, although not a problem in itself, I do wonder whether frequent bending will increase the strain on the connection and shorten its life in the long term. That has been a problem with several power cords for my MacBooks in the past. Still, I suppose they have to build in some obsolescence somewhere. My main grump is that, for the price I paid for my MacBook Pro, this should have come as standard and I should not have had to pay extra for an external one. But I knew that when I (happily) bought it.